Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kamikaze kat now limping

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by timmy, Aug 15, 2009.

1. timmy

timmy PetForums Newbie

We have a 6 month old kitten that goes mental in the evening, zooming around the place like he's possessed.
    We have a window ledge outside the 1st floor (about 10ft or so from ground floor) and leave the window open a bit for him to sniff about.
    Apart from sitting on the ledge, he's never been out on his own.

Tonight a neighbour knocked with him in her arms. Apparently she found him in our front garden.

I took him upstairs and then noticed his top lip was bloody. Not bleeding, but just looked like he had scraped it.
    We can only assume that he had been flipping out, as usual, ran onto the ledge and flew right off the other side (window now stays shut!).

After a bit of a cuddle I put him down and then noticed he was limping (front right leg).
    I examined his leg and couldn't feel or see anything wrong.
    I pressed a bit on his leg/ paw but he didn't flinch or yelp or anything.

For about an hour he just lay on the sofa but he has just started to get back to his manic self, all be it a bit subdued and still limping. He does stand on the leg a bit and can run up stairs etc but generally he's holding it up.

I've just forked out for having his kn@ckers removed (ironically so he can go out) and I don't really want to fork out even more cash on him if I can help it.

Am I right in thinking that it's likely there are no broken bones but probably the equivalent of a twisted ankle or similar?

Thanks in advance.

2. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

Nobody wants to spend money unnecessarily but as you have chosen to take on caring for the cat for what can be up to 20 years, you're in for at least a few costly vet visits in it's lifetime.

1) Get him to the vet if it's not better by tomorrow. If he's not putting ANY weight on it, it's not a good sign.

2) Get him insured!!!! There's no excuse for having a pet now with no insurance.

Let us know how he is. Don't worry too much. Our cat limped for 2 days a few weeks back and he is absolutely fine now. he jumped from his catflap (2nd floor) and landed badly. The vet had said the difference between a minor and major injury is whether they put any weight on it or not. If he is spending more time off the leg than on, it needs to be looked at.

3. timmy

timmy PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.

I totally understand that we will have to make a few vet trips but it would be nice to spread them apart a bit!

He isn't holding it up all the time and has used it a few times - he's been running up and down the stairs a bit and jumped from sofa to sofa hence why I suspect it's nothing too serious, but then again I'm not a vet.

I'll see what the score is tomorrow and then call the vet if need be.

4. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

^Agreed!
    I know that you're new on here, and I don't want to be mean, but you really shouldn't have adopted a kitten if you don't want to 'fork out for it'. Also, neutering is pretty much an essential cost you should consider before you adopt a kitten.
    You should definitely take it to the vet asap, a 10 ft drop is a long way for a human, never mind a little kitten. There may also be damage done that you can't see!
    If you struggle to pay, you sould definitely consider insurance, but right now, what about PDSA?
    I hope the little 'uns OK, keep us updated.
    x

#4 Anwen, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  5. timmy

timmy PetForums Newbie

Don't get me wrong, we totally understand that it'll cost - we had already budgeted for the initial chipping, worm tablets, injections etc so we knew what to expect before we got him.

As I said, I'll wait until the morning and see what happens.

6. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

The good news is with cats, it never rains but it pours :D They can go for years upon years with no vet bills and then BOOM.

Our cats are 13. Neither had been to a vet in the last 10 years. Three months ago our girl cat needed her paw taken care of after getting a thorn stuck (£140) and yesterday the boy cat had surgery to have some teeth taken our (£560). Neither are insured as they are my girlfriends cats and she never got around to it as they were never ill.

Cats are more likely to have limps and whatnot but it's always worth checking out. 9 times out of 10 it turns out to be nothing serious at all.

7. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

You know what's best. You know if it's an emergency or if there's a chance a good nights sleep will help. Cats are amazing at healing quite quickly under their own steam but the fact you took the time to post and ask about it means you're well aware of what's right and what's wrong.

Let us know how he is tomorrow. Little adorable fluffy terrors!

8. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Any news on how the little one is?

Hope his leg is feeling better now.

9. timmy

timmy PetForums Newbie

Just a quick update - He's still limping but not as badly as yesterday.
    In fact he's been running up/ down stairs, playing, jumping etc almost like normal.

Eating, drinking, sleeping etc are just like normal as well.

I called the vet but they would have been closed before I could get there today.
    They said it would be best to come in for a check-up just to be safe but by the sounds of it it's not major and to bring him in on Monday if he's still not 100%.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice