Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kürt & Walking advice required???!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by turkeylad, Aug 7, 2009.

1. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

Advice required particularly from multiple dog owners............after being extremely unwell my rescue pup Kürt has started coming on walks with the other 5 dogs. After a poor start and strong objections to the lead he is now fine with lead. he is walked on a short lead and when we get to where the others go off lead he is changed to a 9 foot light weight puppy leash. His recall is very poor at moment. The problem is that as soon as the others go off lead he tries to round up the other dogs and becomes completely distraught when they will not come back to him.

with my previous pup Torba İ never leash trained him as he is a completely different charachter and i knew he would return with the other dogs.

İ dont know whether to do this with Kürt even though İ am not completely confident he wouldnt get himself lost. İ may have to live with his distress until he grows out of it. İ have tried holding other dogs back on there leads with him but this just leaves them restless as they did not get there run.

Any other ideas greatfully recieved!!!

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Is there no way of walking him seperately until he gets the hang of coming back?
    That way he is not getting stressed at the others being off lead :)

x

3. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

İ could but he really needs to be part of the group having been so ill has left him on the sidelines of the group.

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

yeah but he could be part fot he group the rest of the time?
    I know from experience that having one dog on lead and others off is stressfull.
    When Dixie had been spayed I had to keep her on lead for a week, Dave however still needed his big run. So after a few waks with her getting stressed, rearing up at the end of the lead, zig zagging across the path etc, I had to walk them seperately until she was alowed to run.

She still had plenty of interaction with Dave at home though.

You will have to teach recall when he is on his own anyway, as the others will just distract him...

x

5. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Can you pick the most well trained one and tie him to him....!!!!

Well probably not.... but in theory it'd work ;)

6. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Not such a crazy idea! I've done it and it worked, to a degree. The 'good' dog should be physically stronger and with a bullet proof recall. ;)

Maybe a good idea to practice first in a small enclosed area -field, tennis court etc, so you can get to them quickly if a problem develops

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice