Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

just took a temp-sublet with a cat-owner...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by leashedForLife, Sep 9, 2013.

1. leashedForLife

2 cats, one is an absolutely-terrified tuxedo-F who hides incessantly, the other a ticked-coat with faint tabby
    bars down the legs, & some buff markings - shy, but normal.

Sadly, the owner is extremely neglectful, the food was old / stale & spoiled, & the litter-box was FILTHY:
    full of feces, literally a week or more, less than an inch of litter in it, & one area the size of both my hands
    was nothing but a 3/4-inch thick plaster of wet clay - totally urine-soaked MUD.

i changed the litter, will be buying a new bag, & will buy new food, too. :nonod: This is really so sad -
    the poor kitties. :(

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

oh bless you for looking after the cats.

3. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

Hope you can get the owner to understand a bit more about animal welfare. They're lucky kitties to have you there now. :thumbup1:

4. leashedForLife

i emptied the box entirely, washed it out, put the clay-litter from the cupboard in it, dumped the spoiled wet-food
    [which was nearly-black with oxidation, & stank], threw out the stale dry-food with the plastic take-out tray
    it was served in, removed the full fly-blown trash liner, THEN found the maggot-riddled wet trash
    under the full bag... took the whole thing outdoors, used a bin-liner as an arm-long "glove" to scoop the crud,
    pressure-sprayed the trash-can clean, relined it, & went to the grocer's.

i bought a small bag of good dry-food, & a small bag [2-weeks worth] of World's Best Cat Litter,
    went back, dumped the now-used clay litter, & refilled the whole clean litter-box.

Since then, i've been taking cat-poop from the box 2 or 3 times daily; with TWO cats, she should have
    THREE boxes, but i'm not about to buy 2 more litter-boxes. :rolleyes:

Sunday night was awful; a drunk BF came by at 12:15-AM & wanted to stay the night, he became loud
    & belligerent and was outside in the parking-lot demanding to come in until 1:30-AM, when my housemate's
    other male-friend went outside... AND LET HIM COME BACK IN, at which point i'd already been debating,
    should i phone the police...? or not?

The loud ugly-drunk was there until 2:15-AM, when they walked him out to show him "the way home". :rolleyes:

Tuesday evening, he was back in my housemate's bed... with the door ajar. She must be a slow learner.
    Any man who behaved in that fashion would never re-enter my home - period.

I really don't know if i want to spend the month here - let alone the NEXT month. There's no lock
    on my door, the housemate often leaves the hall-door unlatched even when she's gone out for hours on end.
    The kitchen is so filthy, i'd be afraid to eat anything i cooked in the microwave.

I wash my hands after touching ANYthing - the bathroom doorknob, the frig handle, any surface.
    I feel as if i should glove-up every time before entering the apartment... bleccchhh.

5. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

hang in there, i really hope you can find yourself somewhere else soon, get a lock on your door please if she is leaving the outside door open.

6. Sophiebee

Sophiebee PetForums VIP

Move as soon as you can...... And take the kitties with you :D

On a serious note, she sounds like an awful woman, with no respect for her home or her animals, they are lucky to have you.

7. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

It sounds awful, firstly can you put a lock on your door? At least it is temporary which is one thing to be thankful for. Secondly, if she isn't bothering to feed the cats she most likely isn't bothering to flea them either - have you checked them? You don't want your things to become infested with fleas. Even indoor cats can get fleas.

8. leashedForLife

will buy a locking doorknob today -

no fleas, thankfully, just cat-pee. Amazingly, i've seen no roaches, which IMO is a bl**dy miracle! :p

9. leashedForLife

i bought the new World's-Best bag on Monday -
    so that's 4 solid days of use, as i didn't dump the "new batch" of clay-litter [scented, yuck!] until Tues-PM.

It's a clumping litter - yet there has not been ONE clump of urine?!...

my Q:
    is it possible for urine in a corn-based litter NOT to clump, or should i simply assume that both cats
    are peeing elsewhere, & will probly continue to do so?

:frown2: i have an awful feeling that i know what the answer is, already.

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

They are going elsewhere!

11. leashedForLife

That's what i figured - & there is no other litter-box. :frown2:

At least they are no longer peeing in MY bedroom... ah, well. Not the kitties' fault; they aren't
    to blame, the owner shot herself in the foot, unfortunately. She's lucky they still poop in the box. :rolleyes:

12. leashedForLife

the kitchen sink no longer has 2-week-old dirty dishes in it.

Everything else has deteriorated:
    there are total strangers sleeping in the living-room.
    There are dirty & clean clothes & shoes starting just inside the door, all across the floor, from the entry door
    into & across the bathroom floor.
    Dirty plates & tableware are scattered on the rumpled clothes.
    Overflowing salad-plates / saucers of cig-butts & ash are on counters, tables, & windowsills.

One morning i woke up to 4 new faces in the apt:
    3 asleep on the floor & sofa in the living-room, 1 in my housemate's bed.

THURSDAY NIGHT at 10:30 or so, i was in bed; someone knocked at the door to ask if i'd use my ID
    to get them liquor thru a delivery service; ARE THEY NUTZ? :blink: I'm a caregiver, i work with elderly
    & disabled & children... I"D NEVER WORK AGAIN in that field, if i bought liquor for minors!

i could be charged with everything from corrupting the morals of a minor to reckless endangerment,
    or even manslaughter, if they went driving while drunk & killed someone - including themselves!

i've never had anything more than a traffic warning over 20-years ago, for 45 in a 35-mph speed trap
    in a small town on the interstate, & a misdemeanor rap that got me a fine - my "free legal advice" was worth
    precisely what i'd paid for it, nothing. I couldn't afford an appeal, so the $100 was forfeit.

I've put the lock on my door.

I interviewed for a live-in caregiving job on Wed., & i have a trial shift this Sunday-into-Monday.
    Pray Goddess, i get this job! I need to get OUT of this crazy sublet.

My housemate also said her roommate is "coming back early" from California, perhaps as soon
    as the 7th or 10th; IMO there is no "roommate", she's just renting out the spare room for cash, & i was
    supposed to be their over-21-ID pass for alcohol. NO WAY. :nono:

I don't want to hunt for yet another temp-sublet, i need to share a house with normal ppl who don't live
    in a filthy dump, don't bring home every homeless teenager, & don't sit up talking with the stereo on till 3-AM.

Last night i slept in earplugs. :(

I wash my [own! --- ] dishes in the tub, under the tap; i can't bear to put them in the greasy, filthy sink.
    Thank heaven i have bowls, a plate, & tableware of my own. :thumbsup:
    I also have a small sturdy tub to soak them in, which i'd brought with me - it's usually my handwash tub
    for lingerie or delicates / woolens. :D

Please pray i get this job. The family are very nice, the house is comfy & well set-up,
    & the client seems a lovely person. I need some sanity!

13. leashedForLife

At least one cat is using the litterbox in the kitchen for pee - sometimes. :thumbup1:

I sift the litter at least 3x daily, while my brekkie or coffee heats AM / wash hands,
    when i return in the early evening / wash hands, & before bed / wash hands, plus as needed.

I brought over the used / clean / empty COVERED litter-box from my former sublet, that i had stored
    in the empty garage - it was still there.

I'm offering it for use in the bedroom, so that the bedroom door can be closed but any cat in there
    will still have a toilet. If my housemate doesn't want it, i'll take it with me when i go.

We'll see... The tuxedo still lives like a ghost in the house. :( The ticked kitty is relaxed, but wants
    to get into my bedroom, which i resolutely bar. NO CAT-PEE in my luggage, thanks! :eek: :p

they're still eating the dry-food i bought, & when the wet-food put out every few days gets ugly,
    i discard it & set the plate to soak before the flies' eggs hatch. :Blecchh:

14. thatsafunnylookingcat

thatsafunnylookingcat PetForums Senior

Just caught up with this and it sounds like an absolute nightmare! I hope you are alright and I honestly am wishing you all the best for your new live in job. I really hope it goes well and they take you on asap.

I have to give you a hats off now, for not going absolutely mental at the others in the house share, I would have probably done something extreme by now. Why on earth did you ever take the place? Or was it a case of them putting on a bit of a show for when you came over to view it? They sound like dreadful people and total wastes of space. I'm outraged on your behalf!

15. leashedForLife

from Ur mouth to the Goddess' ear... :thumbup1:
    Cuz i was bleeding $$ staying in a *&%$#@ Hotel - on cheap nights, $88.
    Fri / Sat / Sun, $125 per night.
    It was that, or be on the street - so, yes - the hotel.

Plus it's SEPTEMBER - every college is bursting at the seams, rentals are GONE.
    I hunted like a maniac for 3-months [June, July, Aug] - every time i saw a listing, it was gone
    before i could make an appt to see it. :nonod: Hence, the dump - even 6-weeks is a break,
    during which i can look for something else. Hope springs eternal...

There are, what - a dozen universities?
    Harvard, Boston U, Cambridge Community, teaching hospitals, language schools, art colleges,
    dance, theatre, __________ . Students will rent a closet to have a space for sleep.

16. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Jeez sounds bleeding awful, do hope you can get out of there soon. Best of luck with the job

17. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

How can you stand it....
    I'd be scared I'd come in to find one of these punks zonked out in my bed......
    :eek: :scared::yikes:

18. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

All fingers and paws crossed for you LforL. Can you smuggle the poor cats to somewhere better as you go?

19. leashedForLife

thanks, hun. :smile:

hence the locking-doorknob, which isn't great security, but it's SOMEthing, anyway. :nonod:
    I take all my valuables with me, everywhere i go - what a pain in the butt, eh?
    Thank Goddess for my little rolling case! :D My laptop should have earned enuf frequent-traveler points
    to have its own MBTA pass, for the buses & subways.
    aww, thanks :thumbup: - i really DO believe in good vibes, they can't hurt, anyway!
    well... like buying likker for underage drinkers, that's not legal. :nonod:
    At least they're in a house, fed, have an owner who claims to love them, & who DOES NOT mind
    the cat-pee - that's important. Many owners would have tossed the poor kitties out, by now.

& she does get them vet-care, when they need it - that matters, too.

I'm going to text her & ask if she wants / will use the 2nd litterbox; if so, i'll pick up a bag of fresh
    World's-Best before i go back [i can't bring myself to say "home", Goddess forfend!... ]

20. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

wouldnt you?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice