Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

just to let you know

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by davehyde, Aug 3, 2009.

1. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i am not a bad person or someone who just wants to argue.

but there are some things i find totally unacceptable and i will say so.

i abhor irresponsible dog owners, i detest people who get dogs with absolutely no research at all.

i find ignorace is an obstacle hard to overcome, people get a point of view and will not change it even in the face of evidence to the contrary, these folk wind me up no end.

also i know people want to find things out but why do the same very basic questions get asked time and time again?

on all my forums i tire of the old

crate training question

puppy class question

lead training

etc etc etc.

there a probably thousands of definitive articles online re these and many more questions.
    if they did a basic search here alone the answers would pop up.

in my mind it makes me think of a lazy way to find out and gives me the impression that they want a quick fix.

will they be prepared to research their dog or want others to tell them the answers forever?

i know everyone has to learn but it does help to help yourself. if you cant find the answer then post a question but at least try.

my views on purposely breeding x breeds are known i dont believe in it unless for a specific reason, not some guy fancying getting his bitch cocker knocked up by a lab and wanting 800.00 a go.

anyway, i have short thrift with people who dont go the all the way for their dogs and seem intent on proclaiming to be a great breeder / owner etc when evidently they aint.

thats just me, and if it aint everyones cuppa tea i am not unduly worried but if i stop one litter of doodlecockapoosshitz or save just one dog from misery i am happy with myself.

p.s. yes i do foster as well and attend as many charity events as i can. i have to wait to foster again as my pup is still too young imho.

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

There is only one bit of advice you have given that i havent agreed with..But hey each to our own...Dont stop putting your views across even if we dont agree with them..you still have the right to.. ;)

3. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I agree with most of it but I do think you are being a bit unfair about the asking about crate training, lead training etc. If you think that people should research first surely asking experienced owners questions you don't know the answer too or can't find in a book is a type of research?

4. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I agree with most of what you say , but as for asking questions in a forum , well imo researching is all well and good and should be done also , but getting the answers from people who have done the thing you are researching and being able to ask more questions from that same person/people is invaluable

books are brilliant , real peoples advice even better

5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

hi kay, not really hun.

i bet if a new owner searched for crate training there would be loads of results.

the same basic questions always seem to be asked.

i for one would be more than willing to make a whole thread dedicated to the newbie with a full and comprehensive list of faq's including links and previously posted advice.

it could cover all the basics and intitial training etc and newbies could be pointed towards it and advised to read it.

then it would give them a basic grounding in the care of their dog and any firther questions would be answered in more depth in the forum.

it just seems to me that to keep on answering the same old thing over and over is a waste of peoples time and resources, when they could be put to better use.

only my opinion mind but once people do learn to help themselves a bit it expands into other areas of their lives i have found.

imagine it like a crossword, it's great to solve it on your own but sometimes you do need help with the trickier clues.

or lets refer to a real question, what is the best dried food for my dog?

there is no real answer to that everyone will have their own opinion and it will depend on a lot of factors. but it will evoke discussion.

there are some truly excellent online articles re things like crate training and they help no end.

p.s. 500 results for crate training lol.

#5 davehyde, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  6. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I agree with much has been said in the original post - the internet is full of information but people are just too lazy to look:)

I get asked the most basic questions about chinchilla care on my site - but type chinchilla into Google and your most common questions are answered.

On the other hand it is also good to talk to people who own the animals as pets as certain breeder/owners (and some breed clubs, from personal experience!) may not give an accurate view of the bad points as well as good:eek:

7. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

That is a really good idea! Put a specific newbie dog owner section where people getting their first dog can ask all the questions that you find boring:001_tt2:

I will remember when I get our puppy next year not to ask any crate or lead questions.:D

8. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Dont be so bloody judgemental, why do you presume that because people ask those questions on here that that havent done their research??

I have sat online for hours on end before coming on here and asking such questions, its nice to get peoples opinions first hand to set your mind at rest on certain issues, I have never owned a puppy before and to me its quite a scary prospect.

You are not setting yourself up for arguements you are setting people up to be too scared to post their queries...nice one, well done you :)

Setting up a newbie forum is a good idea but then its just another page to read and you're not getting actual feedback to reassure yourself. If you are sick of a topic then you dont have to reply, you dont have to moan just ignore it!! Simple

#8 mindymoo, Aug 3, 2009
  9. davehyde

davehyde Banned

lol lol sarccy pants.:D

but seriously do you get my drift?

the forum is great then for taking things further like tips people have found to be good or a way they overcame a specicfic problem for instance.

10. davehyde

davehyde Banned

not gonna argue wuth ya, youre obviuosly too blind to see what i am saying.

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Cant agree with much you have said. What is wrong with researching via this forum. Who are you to say who is a good owner or not and what they should be doing and asking. Most people like to ask a question personal to their situation and a lot of people enjoy answering them. if you dont like it then dont read or contribute, stick to the threads that interest you.
    Personally I would rather get a lot of peoples input rather than read an article that is by one person and therefore very one sided. I can sort through the advice and see what suits me.

Mind you, you probably abhor me as an irresponible dog owner. After all I only got my first dog 40 years ago, have been a multiple dog owner ever since, have bred 'pet' puppies, have bought puppies without health testing and horror of horrors, I left my 5 month pup in the house with the other dog for 7 hours today while I was working. How dare I own a dog.

Guinevere13, Nonnie and CheekoAndCo like this.
  12. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Oh yeah I get it. I do sometimes see the same questions asked everyday of the week and the same answers given.

13. cav

cav PetForums VIP

Dont worry about it

lots of peeps dont like me my views but it would be a boring world if we all agreed:p

14. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Ive seen many posts like this before and it bores me so I chose to ignore :D

Oh my god Blitz you will be chased out fo here with flaming torches and pitchforks now lol

#14 mindymoo, Aug 3, 2009
  15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I know, I am so rash to admit to it. :) Actually I had no idea I was going to be so long or would have organised someone to let her out but as it is she coped fine and didnt have an accident so it didnt do her any harm.

16. cav

cav PetForums VIP

.......................:eek:

17. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

This forum is for people asking questions, and inexperinced owners.
    As people have said it is much better to get the opinion and advice of many people who have owned dogs rather than one article.
    I am happy to help anyone with questions as i was and i'm sure you were to a newbie to all of this at one point.
    If you don't like it don't contribute easy peasy lemon squeezy :D
    Ahh the immature rhyme :rolleyes:

Guinevere13 likes this.
  18. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

what is wrong with people on this forum! :eek:ut:

19. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

I agree. Surely the whole point of a forum such as this is to ask for advice and to compare notes with others who are in the same situation. Yes, you can Google and read to your heart's content, but sometimes you want opinions from real people. Of course the same old topics are bound to come up again and again. You don't have to answer them.

20. cav

cav PetForums VIP

lol this place as gone crazy:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice