Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

just nead advice on ragdoll car travely

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by katie200, Jun 22, 2009.

1. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

hi
    my sister suffers from anxity and aggraphober witch means she finds it had to go out and dont feel well when she dose but since ive had my ragdoll holly she seemed to have helped her carm down in the house and i was thinking that if it would help her she could take holly with her when she has to go in the car but i dont realy know if ragdoll travel well with out crates and is there any speacal belts i could get her so she was safe but my sister could hold her and stroke her to feel carm realy like distracting her so shes not so scared holly can walk on a lead and has a grate tempment so if anyone can help me it would be grate because i dont want to upset the cat and if she works for my sister i may buy her one of her own because i may be moving soon but i just dont know

#1 katie200, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I am not too sure Katie. I have taken Misty out before, when we were having gas fitted throughout the house but it was only about 20 minute drive.

She was fine, she managed to escape out of her cat box though and ended up lying across the parcel shelf!! Yikes. Not recommended. I think every cat will be different travelling, I mean some people travel miles to cat shows so these cats must travel, if you see what I mean.

I think you would have to try yourself to see how she reacts.

It's lovely your helping your sister like this. :)

3. Emma_Williams

Emma_Williams PetForums Junior

I came across this a while ago. It may work, I've never tried it but I have seen dogs wearing them so I can't see it being much different.

Cat Safety Car Harness

4. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Personally I would put the cat's safety first and have it travel in a cat carrier. Think of what would happen if you had your cat loose in the car and you had to do an emergency stop - it could get flung about the car and at worst through the windscreen. We have a Cabrio cat carrier and there is a section in the front where you can slot in a bowl for food but it is also big enough to stick your hand through if you want to pet the cat!!

Pet Cargo Cabrio : Pinky Pawz - Simply ... the cats whiskers!, Pinky Pawz - Simply ... the cats whiskers!

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I always have Damien in his carrier in the car. The dogs wear seatbelts but Damien doesn't like them. I wouldn't have an unsecured cat in the car.

6. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

Ihave to agree with all Chinablue is saying, the safety of the cat and all in you're car and anyother cars on the road has to be considered, it would be so easy for the driver to be distracted and it only takes a second. i have Ragdolls myself and they do travel very often in our car but they are always in a secure pet pen. its possible that even if the cat was harnessed and being held that passing cars could scare you're cat and the last thing the driver needs are claws and teeth flying around in a moving car.....best wishes.......Chris

7. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

thanks for all your advice and of corse i care about cat safty so what i may try is takeing her in her box put it on the back seat and let my sister have her out but if she get realy upset then put her back or i may try a cat belt which looks good its just that holly may realy help her she never gos fare just to the pet shop if we go with her and thats a 5 mint drive from our house ill see first if she likes to travel in the car because if she dosent then i wont make her but thanks for all your help

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Think VERY carefully about having a cat unrestrained in a car - if it gets frightened the first place it will head is a small dark cave - i.e under the pedals - really it is a disater wating to happen - who know what could spook her though the car window and it is almost impossible to keep hold of a pertified cat without serious damage.

9. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

well i may not let her go in the car with her but im looking into a cat belt that will keep her on a seat and she wont beable to run away because my old dog had one and she used to be fine so i was thinking that may work but if she didnt like it and hated the car then i will have to let the idear go but it dosent hurt to look into it

10. Emma_Williams

Emma_Williams PetForums Junior

Make sure you do gentle harness introducing and not just stick it on the cat and try. I found a site a while ago about how to introduce a cat to wearing a harness. Someone else may know the site but I could see tomorrow if I saved the link somewhere.

11. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

thanks but holly has always walked on a harness lead since i got her but thanks for the avice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice