Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

just interested...

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by catzz, May 2, 2011.

1. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

What sort of ages do cats have kitten up to? Do they have menopauses like people? I know it's hard to say because ferals generally don't live a hugely long time and pedigree queens get retired but I was just wondering...

2. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

They can have kittens at any time in their life but it gets riskier the older they are. I personally know of a 13 year old cat that had kittens when I lived in Shetland

3. Poor cat :(

4. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I once took in a ten year old cat that had never been spayed ... what a mess she was poor girl :(

Idiot owners.

5. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

I don't think there is, in the wild cats would probably breed them selves to death, not a nice thought. But that's how feral cats thrive they have 100s of kittens but shorten their own lives dramatically.:(

6. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Yes, poor creatures. Thankfully responsible owners can save their cats the risks and stress of having kittens :) ANY kittens :thumbsup:

7. Cerridwen

Cerridwen PetForums Member

There's no such thing as definitive menopaus in cats, but their reproduction ability do decrease with age. A female over 10 years of age usually won't have large litters. She might have 1 or 2 kittens. Just like in humans, a cats body ages. A female cat don't produce new eggs so the eggs grow old which causes genetic damage in them. This makes it harder to fertilize them and the risk for non-viable fetuses increases as the risk for birth defects. The mothers organs (especially the kidneys) age and don't cope as well with a pregnancy as it did in young age.

At some point a female won't have enough viable eggs in order to produce any offspring. She might get pregnant but she'll abort the fetuses. I guess when/if this happens you could say she's reached menopause. Most don't though. They die from other causes (or are PTS).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice