Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just inherited my first dog. Haven't got a clue!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ScrappyDoo, Jun 24, 2009.

1. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,
    I've just inherited a sweet little Beagle nemed Charlie after an elderly family member sadly passed away. He's my first dog and I really don't know where to start!!!
    I'm told that he's around 2-3 years old and he seems relatively healthy, if a little round and itchy. There was no sign of dog food at the house, so I'm guessing he's been getting just table scraps and things. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed but I'm determined to take the best care of him I can. I've bought him a lead, a bed, food bowls and a bag of Bakers Complete and I've started looking around the forums for more information but with all the different opinions on diet, excersize, vaccinations and so on, I'm feeling a bit swamped. Can anyone give me a few pointers of where to start?!?

1 person likes this.
  2. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

I was told that bakers isnt a very good dog food to feed dogs. its sapposed to be the eqivilant of us having mc donalds.
    Dont know much about beagels so thats the only help i can give maybe someone else will come along later.?

3. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Hi welcome to the forum

Beagle are sweet dogs but do have some recall problems so i would keep him on the lead for a bit, bakers complete is not the best food, good luck with him if you need any help lot me know

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Firstly, have a ring around of the local vets (to where your relative lived), and try and find out which one he was registered at. They should then be able to tell you whether or not hes vaccinated, wormed, de-flead etc.

Id also get him registered with the vets of your choice, and have him health checked. They will also give you advice on any skin problems (you say he's itchy), and information in regards to his weight (dont let them make you buy their expensive diets though).

You may also wish to consider some insurance, as vets bill can be horrendous.

Like stated, Beagles arent always the most obedient dogs, so invest i a nice long line or flexi lead.

Best of luck, and nice to hear of a relavtive talking on an "orphaned" dog. Most go into rescues :(

5. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

I'm relatively new to all this as well so can't givemuch advice but I just wanted to wish you lots of luck with your new boy. I've found these forums invaluable and the advice I've had has helped me a lot with my boy.

I definitely agree about Bakers though. Bailey was on that when we first got him and we changed him on the Beta which really wasn't much better. He's now on a mix of Autarkay and natureDiet and doing very well on them.

Oh the itching thing could be fleas or it could be a nervous thing. Our boy scratched a bit when we first got him from the rescue centre but we did some reading and found out that it's often a sign of nervousness that settles when they feel more secure. It did with our boy.

Good luck! :)

6. ScrappyDoo

Wow, thanks for the quick replies and fantastic advise. I'll get on to the local vets tomorrow. Will he definately be registered with one? I hadn't even thought about insurance! Is that expensive?
    I've also been looking at the 'What's the best dry food' thread and now I'm more confused than ever - so many options! At least everyone is agreed that Bakers is rubbish, so I won't feed that - I haven't openned the bag yet. As for which food to go on to I have no idea. I think I've still got time to nip to my local pet shop and see what they think. brb

7. ScrappyDoo

The lady in my local pet shop suggested either Burns, All in One or James Wellbeloved as they're all pretty good and natural. I took a small bag of Burns (since Charlie needs something for tonight) and some samples of the other two to try him on. Before I get him settled though, are there any big differences between the three? Also is it ok to feed him just once a day?

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi,
    My two have been fed both Burns and are currently on JWB and doing fab on it,however we are in the process of trying Arden Grange which is supposed to be another good food,DT also recommends Nature Diet I can't comment on this as my dogs have never been fed it.

My dogs are fed once a day (usually morning)and are fine or you could fed the same amount but in two meals.

9. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I like Burns and JWB as foods for my pets.

With regards to the insurance it really does depend which type of cover you choose. I would always recommend a 'lifeime' cover (but please check the small print) with the right lifetime cover the dog will be covered for his whole life, with any illness/injury etc. Just as long as there is no break in cover.

12 month cover does just that. They will payout for illness/injury but only for 12 months after they are up even if you re-new you will still have to pay for the illness/injury and anything that is connected to it.

There are a few good insurers around that have great covers.My dog insurance for lifetime cover is around £17 a month.

A beagle need plenty of excerise and lots of mental stimulation. Once he has been checked over ny the vet he will recommend an excercise regime suitable for Charlie, if you ask him. On walks and in the garden you can make him use his tracking abitlities and give him the mental stimulation he needs by hiding food or throwing it all over the lawn.

Anything you need to know about health matters i.e worming/flea treatment the vet will tell you.

Good luck and i can't wait for some pics :D

xx

10. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Burns is a good food, you will need to be careful though if he hasn't eaten it before it might just give him a dose of the runs. With the insurance as Acacia86 says go for a life time cover, what you need to be aware of though is that once you have signed with a company there is very often a waiting period which means that Charlie won't be cover for any illness that is diagnosed within 2 weeks of the policy starting. If you take him to the vet tomorrow the vet says he needs something for his itchy skin no insurance company will pay out for that ailment, they will pay out for other stuff just not skin complaints ( I hope I've explained myself okay :eek:ut: ).

Terri

11. rona

rona Guest

If you really have no idea about dogs, it might be worth going to training classes for a term or two, once he has settled with you, this will help you to understand him and hopefully strengthen the bond between you

12. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Good on ya for taking this dog, beagles are lovely i would feed the best quality food you can i feed burns it natural, has no additives colours etc, i would imagine the itchy skin is due to the previous owners feeding a not so good diet and bakers will definetly not help, burns helped with one of my dogs eczema in fact it cleared it up altogether, very good if your dog is a little over weight, i agree with the other post he might get the runs at first a little like a detox once the rubbish stuff is out of his system it will settle.

13. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

not much else to add, would recommend reading up as much as possible and as the others say speaking to vet, other dog owners (this forum is a GREAT resource for info), plus everything else everyone else has said.
    Just wanted to wih you luck really, and say congrats/well done on taking in your new soon to be best pal :D
    Welcome to the forum, prepare to see hours of your life drift away - it can be a bit addictive ;) :D

14. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Well firstly I have to say well done for taking him on! :D One of the main reasons for dogs in my local rescue are elderly owners passing away or becoming ill, and the other family member just take the dog to the kennels.

I have never met a beagle but I hear they don't have great recall.

Good advice re the food, vet and training classes.

Good luck with him :)

x

15. ScrappyDoo

Thanks ever so much everyone for all of your kind words and advice! Your help and support means a lot to us both. I've started making an action plan starting with vets, insurance and a trainer.

We had a bit of a restless night with a bit of howling but I'm sure I'd be the same in his shoes. He does seem to be fully house trained though, which is a huge relief!

About foods, Charlie took the decision out of my hands. He wouldn't touch the Burns Lamb and Brown Rice at all. The lady at the shop said this might happen because he's probably quite stressed, but he ate the All in One samples straight away, so I guess that's a good place to start. Quite right about the runs though, although he had these even before I picked him up. Do you think this will work itself out or can I do something to help?

noushka05 likes this.
  16. rona

rona Guest

For upset tums it's usual to fed chicken and rice or fish and rice for a couple of days. White fish you can get from pet shops and just buy chicken from the supermarket. Make sure there are no bones in it before you feed.
    Alternatively you can get this either from a vet or online
    Protexin Pro Kolin for dogs and cats

With all the upset he has had, it's not surprising, I wouldn't worry unless it is very liquid or it has continued for more than a couple of days or he seems unwell.
    It may settle when his stress levels are less

17. bassetsandbeyond

bassetsandbeyond PetForums Senior

I would feed him twice a day.....hound breeds do tend to suffer with bloat

1 person likes this.
  18. Poppy09

Poppy09 PetForums Senior

Hi, Just caught up with this thread...how is he today?

19. ScrappyDoo

I think he's doing well, thanks to all of your help. He seems happy enough exploring the garden most of the day, although I have had to block a hole in the hedge after he wandered into next door - what was that about poor recall? I've got one of those long extendible leads for walking which suits us both well, although the state of his tummy makes cleaning up after him a nightmare. I'll certainly be following Rona's advice and put him on home cooked chicken and rice - I'm guessing just until he firms up?

I've got him booked in with a local vet for a check-up next week and I've spoken with some dog owners in the park and they've recommended a good trainer. All very exciting!

I really think we're beginning to bond well, Charlie, my partner and I. His mischievous face really brightens up the place!

20. rona

rona Guest

You've fallen for him already :laugh::laugh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice