Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just had the most horrid experience

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by theevos5, Apr 13, 2011.

1. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

I went with my son today,who is 19 to get get a blood allergy test,as he has been getting a rash all over his body,at random times and facial swelling etc.Anyway,he was abit nervous before hand,and when we went into the room,he had his blood taken and immediately after,said he felt dizzy and unwell,was told to lie back and then he passed out and had a convulsion:cryin:It was an awful experience to see happen to my son!It has really shaken me up! He can't remember it,he just said Have I been asleep when he came round

They said his blood sugars were probably low,hence the fainting,so when he came round they gave him some biscuits and made him sit there until his face came back to his normal colouring rather than they grey white colour it was

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

2. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

not the convulsion part but i have a little habit of fainting after blood tests. the first time i did it, i came round on the floor... id fallen off the chair i was sitting on. the doc said he watched the colour drain from my face and asked me if i was ok and i apparently said yes (cant remember) they are now extra cautious with me lol. having blood taken makes me go all hot but my stomach goes all cold.. its a very funny feeling and i go extra dizzy... i can sympathise x

i hope your son is ok x

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

My older brother is a fainter.:D He has to have someone go with him to any medical type thing (even though he is nearly 40!) coz he faints really easily. Although he was worse when he was younger, he one fainted coz a Dr told him he 'might' need an x-ray!!LOL:rolleyes:

4. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

I got very close to fainting after having blood taken - hadn't eaten breakfast that morning >.<
    Went all pale, cold sweats, then blacked out, managed to stay sitting albeit with my head between my legs and several nurses gathered around me :eek:
    Convulsing sound scary...good thing he wasn't aware of it!

5. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

I a fainter if I hurt my self I'm gone I been like that since I was little my mum used to not like seeing me like it but for me it's just like sleeping for a few moment lol apart from when I fainted and fell down the stairs and banged my head on the lawn mower lol that hurt when I woke up I'm sure it was shocking for you to see him faint (((((hugs)))) it's horrible seeing people faint

6. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

Poor you and your son :(

I nearly fainted once when they took 8 tubes of blood from me :eek: They did warn me that they had to take alot of blood and that it might make me feel abit ropey but they still did it whilst I was sitting in a chair rather than getting me to lie down :mad:

Not heard of anyone convulsing after a BT but I'm not a Doctor so maybe it is more common than we think.

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

If his blood sugar was very low it could have caused this. Just have to make sure he eats something before having stuff done in the future. Hopefully it was just a one off.;)

8. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

poor boy and you! but probably due to low blood sugar as mentioned.

what's he getting tested for? they should have given you a sheet to fill out to test for specific things (dust mites, gluten etc).

has any one spoken to you about this other than saying to get a blood test? there are other things you can do in the meantime or if the test comes back negative for normal stuff to see if it makes it better/ or flare up.

you should probably also have been told to keep a food diary for a month (some foods/additives etc can stay in the body for longer than that so can cause reactions at any time, not immediately after eating it (caused by bioaccumulation)), along with the food diary keep notes of instances (dates, times, areas affect) of the rash or any other symptoms (head aches, rashes, itchy skin/mouth/private bits). rashes aren't necessarily localised to the area of contact (if it's a contact rash) so can be quite decieving but sometimes they are, lol either way they can give a jumping off point for pinpointing what's the allergy/intolerance is.

i'm allergic to loads of unusual stuff (not on the aforementioned test sheet, how handy) and i'm pretty sure there are other 'sufferers' on here so feel free to ask questions if you're unsure about anything. together i'm pretty sure most of us have done/been through it all.

hope the test comes back positive for him. :D

9. Yep me! mine were due to low blood pressure - feels awful before you go - like your face - particualry your lips are really cold , and also my ears tend to hurt too

10. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I`ve never experienced fainting, but I remmeber while pregnant quite a few times I felt the colour drain from my face and my vision started to go dark... so i used to just quickly sit down before I fell down... that was due to being aneamic tho.

I hope your sons rash can be diagnosed ASAP and the fainiting/convulsing was just a one off, due to low sugars/nerves etc and it wont happen again

Big hug to you, I know how awful it is when you see your child (no matter how big they get) go through things like this and not know whats happening, or going to happen

11. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

and people forget to breath while having blood taken :lol:, i had mine done and the person taking it said you don't for get to breath.. i had been holding my breath :eek:

I hope your son is ok now.

12. Bellarina

Bellarina PetForums Member

I take blood from people quite a bit, and fainting is fairly common although easily avoidable (but only if someone knows its a problem for them.) I'm not exactly sure what happened with your son but I doubt very much if he had a convulsion as he would not have been allowed home without some kind of follow up for that. It's not unusual for people to get the shakes if they are about to faint.

It is a horrible thing to watch happening- I hate it if I see someone get 'the look' but thankfully experience has taught me how to spot them before it gets to that point.

Hopefully he is all recovered now- tell him to ask if he can lie down if he ever has to have blood taken again.

13. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I haven't personally, I hope he is ok now...

I had a dizzy spell once and sat back down.. But last year I went for bloods and it was very hot so took a drink.. I was on my own.. and I am not fibbing 3 people fainted walking out of that room.. And not one nurse out of that room helped them, different docs nurses walking by did.. .. they were just picked up and sat down and told to sit till they felt better..
    It was probably the heat someone said.. I thought great Im on my own and had sort of a panic in my brain.. as you do:rolleyes: I got through it.. :lol: and walked out of the room and home unaided though.. I thank the Dr Pepper I was carrying and drinking.. :D

#13 momentofmadness, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  14. shells

shells PetForums VIP

big hugs to you both xxxx

15. ClaireLouise

Ive seen it happen a few times, its very upsetting. hope your son is ok

16. willa

willa PetForums VIP

Same with me. I also hold my breath at the dentists !!:eek:

17. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

I either faint or almost faint after having a blood test taken. I do warn the nurse now after not wanting to make a fuss and fainting in the surgery car park:eek:

I sit down for a while until my colour comes back to normal and am usually given a glass of water too. It's worst if I have to have a fasting blood test as I am feeling wobbly before she even starts.

18. niki

niki PetForums Senior

I'm a fainter! Not so much now (*touches wood*) but I was terrible during secondary school. I used to faint an convulse, or fit as other people saw it! Think the worst time was watching a first aid video in year 11. I fainted, fell backwards off my stool and hit my head on another metal stool! Woke up with the entire class stood over me and the bloody teaching panicking!! Stupid thing is, the video was only talking about a child falling and having his teeth knocked out... Didn't actually show anything!! :eek:

19. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I have epilepsy and he probably will never remember anything about it, I usually feel exhausted afterwards though, its more distressing to people watching than it is to the person having the seizure.

20. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone for your experiences and best wishes,we have had a follow up phone call from the doctor tonight that has explained that he has had a vasovagal episode,he has to tell anyone in future that this is what happened and apparently they will deal with him differently,ie make sure he is lying down when given the needle and the whole procedure is taken more slowly.He is tired and his back is hurting,but think that is from when he was fitting,it was an absolutely horrible thing to see your child go through and I never for one second had an inkling that it could happen,but hey ho,we know now and are more equipped for next time!All we have to do now is wait for his results of the blood test and see what happens over his allergies:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice