Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just had our elderly cat put to sleep,

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by brookshill, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Brought tears to my eyes too :eek:

It's the very last and most loving thing you had to do for her. I'm so sorry for your loss

Rest in peace lovely puss

Em
    xx

2. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

Having had to do the same thing several time myself I can sympathise with you. It never gets easier. She's over the bridge now, enjoying the summer sun like a youngster again... 19 though. Well done that girl! It does hurt now, but after a while you'll be saying with a laugh 'Remember when........'

My favorite passing verse.........

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

3. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I'm hormonal, stop posting such nice things!

To OP I am truly sorry for your loss.

4. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

You did The right Thing, Its Sad when this happens and they cant function properly. Enjoy the good memories knowing Stumpy had a Great loving life with You - and He would Know that too - R.I.P Stumpy. Run Free at the bridge.

5. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

My heart really goes out to you both
    The decision you had to make is probably 1 of the worst decisions ever asked of us
    As you said- even though deep down you knew it was the right one-you still"feel like crap",and,from my experiences and those of others I know thats very normal -not that that makes it any easier

We had to have our dog P.T S a good few years ago . I know now that I should have done it earlier-but for selfish reasons I didnt.She had little quality of life and had to be supported if she needed to go out for a wee.
    I hoped that she would go in her sleep ,but every morning she would be there lying in her bed looking at me.

We also had the vet come out-and I remember saying as she died in my arms -Im a murderer.Nothing anybody said could console me -people said all the right things and told me to think of all the happy times-but that was SO hard and the feelings were unbearable.I knew that we had no other choice,but I still blamed myself.
    She was 17 and we had taken her in as a stray when she was 7 mths old

We have 2 cats of 14 now and our dog,Buster, is 14 too -he has dementia.(Our other dog ,Lulu,died at the end of January)
    Im so dreading having to make the same decision you had to make,but I know that its quite likely Ill have to-for 1 or more of them

Its the last kindness we can show to a creature who has given us so much love.
    {If you go the the Rainbow Bridge section at the very top-there is a lovely poem which someone sent to me after Lulu died.
    It made me cry buckets,but at the same time it was comforting too.}

Just go with your feelings -loss,anger,guilt,emptiness-all will come at times .
    Hope Stumpy is free from pain and happy at Rainbow Bridge,where she is saying "thank you " to her mum and dad for their final show of love to her

love from Maureen

6. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

That made me fill up again, lovely words xx

7. thedeans

thedeans PetForums Senior

I am so sorry to hear of your loss - My elderly cat fell asleep last year - although sometimes it seems like only yesterday
    - A friend gave me a card with this poem on - I thought I'd share it with you - as you might like it too xx

Cat Poem
    They will not go quietly,
    the cats who've shared our lives.
    In suptle ways they let us know
    their spirit still survives.
    Old habits still make us think
    we hear a meow at the door.
    Or step back when we drop
    a tasty morsel on the floor.
    Our feet still go around the place
    the food dish used to be,
    And, sometimes, coming home at night,
    we miss them terribly.
    And although time may bring new friends
    and a new food dish to fill,
    That one place in our hearts
    belongs to them. . . and always will.

by Linda Barnes

8. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Me too :(
    xx

9. brookshill

brookshill PetForums Newbie

Massive thanks to everyone for your kind, caring words they have provided me and Sammi with re-assurance that our decision was the right one. Give your furry friends an extra cuddle tonight on behalf of us all, and of course, give them a hug from Stumpy, see you at the Rainbow Bridge Stumpster x x x

10. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Consider them hugged :eek: xxxxxxx

11. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Sooty sends his best snugs!
    xxxx

12. NightMare1

NightMare1 PetForums Newbie

I am so sorry for your loss =(

13. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

i dont think there is anything else that i can add but what has already been said, only that i know how you are feeling, i have had to do it four times in the past two years and it never gets any easier. at least she is now at peace. RIP little stumpy

14. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Aww so sorry.

15. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I read this last night, but could not post due to the floods of tears! It touches a nerve with me as I have 4 oldies who, of course, will all be making that sad journey fairly close together in the not too distant future.
    Of course you did the right thing, and of course you are grieving right now....but remember that Stumpy spent 19 long years training you as cat slaves and she would not want all that hard work to be in vain You will never replace her, but sometime soon you will be ready to give another little cat ( or two ) a similar life of luxury and pampering.

16. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Brookshill, every time you post you make me cry :crying: A big hug here from me ((())) and purrs from Mai Tai xx

17. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Im So sorry to hear this *big hugs to you and your family*
    run free lil one x

18. nattymariax

nattymariax PetForums Senior

So sorry to hear about Stumpy, someone posted this on rainbow bridge a while a go and I have it saved becasue I love it so much. I'm sure you can relate to it x

If it should be that I grow frail and weak, and pain should keep me from my sleep,Then will you do what must be done, For this, the last battle,cannot be won.

You will be sad I understand, But don't let grief then stay your hand, For on this day, more than the rest,Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,You wouldn't want me to suffer so. When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me where, to my needs they'll tend, only, stay with me until the end. Hold me firm and speak to me, Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree It is a kindness you do for me. Although my tail its last has waved, From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you who has to decide this thing to do; We've been so close, we two, these years, Don't let your heart hold any tears.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice