UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opened the chicken mince and it was wolfed down by Bess. Not seen her so enthusiastic about food before unless its cooked human food!

Of course tomorrow she might decide she doesn't like it!

Assuming she does there are two issues. Firstly the cost. But more importantly I'm not sure about one third of the mince being vegetable? Surely 400g of Honeys mince cannot be as nutritious as 400g of pure meat mince?

Having made the switch to raw I cannot see how vegetables can be right. Would love some views, please.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I've just had a look at Honey's website. Apart from "It costs £x.xx a day to feed Fido", there seems to be a remarkable lack of information about how much it actually costs, unless I just haven't found it. So not sure how much your 400g cost.

For comparison, DAF chicken mince cost me 65p per 454g (1lb) so not far off your 400g. No veggies in the DAF so 454g of pure meat, bone and offal.

I know Honey's is organic (not something I can afford for myself let alone Poppy) so we know it is going to be more expensive, so let's say your 400g cost twice the price of DAF and was £1.30. One third is veggies, so you're paying approx 43p for approx 133g of veggies and approx 87p for approx 266g of meat. If I'm way out on this I'd love to know the figures :).

I give Poppy blended veggies, buying a variety depending what's available. I can get 500g carrots from Iceland for 50p which goes a long way towards a blend of veggies which will last quite some time. Other veggies don't come that cheap but it certainly doesn't work out as expensive as 43p for 133g.

Not everyone gives veggies, it's a personal choice, but I wouldn't buy a raw food with veggies in them for two reasons - it makes the veggies very expensive and you get less meat (as you've already said) and I have the choice whether I want Poppy to have veggies with a particular meal.

Is 400g of Honey's mince as nutritious as 400g of pure meat mince? I suppose that depends on whether your think organic meat/veggies is more nutritious than non-organic.

I think that just by feeding a dog raw he/she is getting a far superior diet which seems to cause few problems and has many benefits over commercial dog food. I don't know if organic raw is so much better to warrant the extra cost. Even if I could afford Honey's I wouldn't buy it but anyone who is a die-hard organic fan probably would. Their choice, nothing wrong with that, each to their own.

Sorry, I've rambled. I try to look at things from both perspectives, and being on a fixed income I have to take cost into consideration so frequently play with figures and work out costings. My recent Raw2Paw order, which included minces and whole rabbit, actually works out on average at 20p per meal for Poppy, based on her needing no more than 150g a day, and that includes the delivery cost.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Opened the chicken mince and it was wolfed down by Bess. Not seen her so enthusiastic about food before unless its cooked human food!

Of course tomorrow she might decide she doesn't like it!

Assuming she does there are two issues. Firstly the cost. But more importantly I'm not sure about one third of the mince being vegetable? Surely 400g of Honeys mince cannot be as nutritious as 400g of pure meat mince?

Having made the switch to raw I cannot see how vegetables can be right. Would love some views, please.
I didn't like the price I was quoted either :(

They also do a veg free mince, maybe that would be better for you!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Ive just had a good nosy around the site too and here are my thoughts ;)

Very nice website, all very welcoming and pretty informative but the lack of prices annoyed me. I don't see why they can't just quote a price per lb or kg for each variety :confused:

The prices of things that are on there are very high I think. £15.00 for 5kg of chicken wings? :eek: Yes okay, they're free range but still. £7.50 for 5 beef bones? :eek: Is someone having a laugh here? :rolleyes: Plus, personally, I don't care how "young" the animals are; I won't give my dog beef bones (apart from ribs) and it doesn't actually say *what* bones they are.

Onto the veg.... :rolleyes: it all depends on what you believe is best for your dog but for me, veg are not necessary for a carnivore; they're not designed to eat it and I will never feed it so I certainly wouldn't pay for a food that is one third unecessary ingredients.

To conclude ;) I just don't quite see the point to it. If you want to feed raw then what's wrong with your local butcher or a raw supplier? :confused: I don't see the need for "specially prepared" meals like these. It's making it more complicated (and no doubt expensive) that it needs to be :confused:

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you're just confirming what I was thinking, it was just seeing Bess enjoying eating for once though that made me consider it.

This is going to make your eyes water - 500g of the mince with veg costs £2.35!!!! I could get human meat for that from the supermarket!

I've got a fridge full of mince from Rawtogo which Bess refuses to eat, so I thought about trying some grated carrot in with that.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Yes, you're just confirming what I was thinking, it was just seeing Bess enjoying eating for once though that made me consider it.

This is going to make your eyes water - 500g of the mince with veg costs £2.35!!!! I could get human meat for that from the supermarket!

I've got a fridge full of mince from Rawtogo which Bess refuses to eat, so I thought about trying some grated carrot in with that.
:scared: <faints>

Have you tried drizzling a little salmon oil over the R2G mince? I bought some recently for Alfie to help his joints and he LOVES it... it does say on the bottle "can help fussy eaters". Might be worth a try? :)

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is where I sigh loudly with exasperation. Bess hates salmon oil! :rolleyes: It would have been a good tip for a normal dog! :crying:

I am getting her to eat by refusing to give her anything else at all, by taking the bowl away when she turns her nose up at it. So she will eventually eat something with salmon oil on it, but she'd rather it wasn't there.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Oh Bess you awkward little madam ;)

How about mixing the Honeys mince with the R2G mince, starting off with a higher % of the Honeys one then gradually decreasing it and adding more R2G... wonder if that would work :confused:

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Ive just had a good nosy around the site too and here are my thoughts ;)

Very nice website, all very welcoming and pretty informative but the lack of prices annoyed me. I don't see why they can't just quote a price per lb or kg for each variety :confused:

The prices of things that are on there are very high I think. £15.00 for 5kg of chicken wings? :eek: Yes okay, they're free range but still. £7.50 for 5 beef bones? :eek: Is someone having a laugh here? :rolleyes: Plus, personally, I don't care how "young" the animals are; I won't give my dog beef bones (apart from ribs) and it doesn't actually say *what* bones they are.

Onto the veg.... :rolleyes: it all depends on what you believe is best for your dog but for me, veg are not necessary for a carnivore; they're not designed to eat it and I will never feed it so I certainly wouldn't pay for a food that is one third unecessary ingredients.

To conclude ;) I just don't quite see the point to it. If you want to feed raw then what's wrong with your local butcher or a raw supplier? :confused: I don't see the need for "specially prepared" meals like these. It's making it more complicated (and no doubt expensive) that it needs to be :confused:
That's alot of smilies :lol:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
That's alot of smilies :lol:
Think I got a bit carried away? :lol:

I don't know why I did that... some posts I barely use any :huh:

·
Registered
190 Posts
We do buy a mixed mince from Albion Meats that we add into his diet occasionally which has offal, meat and veg in it. I only buy it to add a bit more variety and it is the one he will always eat without fail, so it is kept in the kitchen freezer and it gets used when we forget to get other stuff out.

I certainly don't get it from Honeys though (or anything else) as I was quoted £8.30 per day for 1.8kg per day to feed a great dane pup.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't imagine having such a picky dog with meat :eek: I'm almost jealous! Bradley's nearly 5 months old and I want to put him on 2 meals a day, but I think even if a tap dancing cat came in the kitchen, with a singing squirrel on its shoulders, he'd probably still choose the food.

Have you looked at these guys?
Petfood Products & Prices » Manifold Valley Meats
That's the type of dog I've ever known! So dealing with Bess is really hard. Will give the link a look thanks.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sounds like Bess is really trying her luck :p

I had a quote from Honeys just after I started raw feeding and I nearly fainted when the quote arrived :eek: :eek:.

Have you tried her on Natural Instinct? It's still expensive but about half the price of Honeys!

Anyhoo on the vegetable front. My take on it is they eat the stomach contents of herbivores, which means they are eating digested/semi digested vegetation ;). Therefore the closest I can get to that is blending/pulping fruit and veg ;) :lol:

To be honest the best advice I was given is if you are not comfortable feeding something, then don't :)

When I first started raw I also didn't feed fruit and vegetables, however I started after a few months and the difference I can report is my guys eat less grass and horse poo :crazy: :lol: it also gives me something to mix powder supplements into as well as bulking up fat boys meals without adding the calories :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.