Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just had a run in with a game keeper

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Apr 19, 2011.

1. rona

rona Guest

#1 rona, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
  2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

I really wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of you Rona, no wonder he didnt know what to say at the end!!
    Well done for knowing it sorrectly to quote at him

3. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. That's the trouble with ambiguous legislation, people tend to interpret it to suit themselves then quote it as gospel.

Well done for staying calm enough to put him right!

4. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Wow it must be wonderful to be as all powerful and all knowing as him, bet youre shaking in your wellies now arent you Rona ;).

5. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

GO rona! xx

Well cone for knowing it that well i dont knwo it at all i am just getting my head over remembering the DDA! and i have had dogs for years.

where can i read this too as i live in the country part of a city so i could really do with brushing up on it!

x

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Obviously a jobsworth of the highest order.!!

Good on you Rona, too many petty restrictions, with petty people enforcing them lately. Good on Ya:thumbup:

7. rona

rona Guest

If it had been an SSSI, nature reserve or even a piece of land with the right to roam, he may have had a case, but it was a footpath through arable land and no livestock.

I'm not actually :)
    Told my client that she may get a complaint about me though.

8. rona

rona Guest

Here you go this is a general run down of dog law uk
    Best of Both Worlds

or you can wade through this :D
    Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Good for you Rona.

When I had horses, I knew the law regarding public rights of way pretty much inside out and one particular day a friend and I were out hacking but found a bridleway we had used before had been blocked. I decided we would head down a track that ran more or less parallel through a farmyard to bring us out on the right lane to get us home. We got part way down the track and there stood the farmer so I geared myself up for a heated exchange. As we approached he said something like "Good afternoon girls, lovely day to be out riding".

10. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

Sounds like he got out of bed the wrong side and was spoiling for a fight. They can be so officious sometimes, I can understand it with most dogs but a well behaved black lab that walks to heel - I really can not. I'd have told him to shove his legislation up his quad bike.

11. rona

rona Guest

If it had been Alfie or some of the others I walk, then they would have been on lead anyway, and he knows this :rolleyes:

12. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

Perhaps he's making an example of you :( Maybe taking it out on you because he's had problems with other dog walkers. Mine would be a nightmare near pheasant poults (hence I avoid!) but labs are generally very steady.

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

As a landowner I would not want loose dogs on my land. No one can guarantee to control a dog at all times but if there was no livestock around he was being a bit fussy.

On the other hand, years ago we were on a walking holiday and walking through sheep country with 2 very well bred collies from trial lines and a sheltie. Irate farmer ordered us to put them on the lead so I told them to lie down while we searched through the rucksack for leads. He took one look at them lying down and ended up getting us to run both collies to see how they would work the sheep.

I suppose so long as the dog does not stray off the footpath it is ok but the land owner or gamekeeper is quite within his rights to ask you to put the dog on the lead, I dont think it right to argue I am afraid.

14. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Shame if you normally get on, you would have thought he may have realised you never let the dogs go off, pick up etc. :( Hopefully he was having an off day, and may appologise.

15. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

Oooo Rona! Can I come dog walking with you????? ;)

16. rona

rona Guest

Unfortunately don't think that will happen. I'm one of the few people there that actually talked to him, he's upset so many people :(

Sure any time :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice