Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just had a phone call from the Vet

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Happy Paws2, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

As some of you will know Dillon bloated last month and he bloat last year as well, lucky both times his stomach didn't twist. Well the vet said we should think about having his stomach stapled to his ribs as we might not be so lucky if he bloat again.

As its preventive surgery he said our insurance company was unlikely to pay for it to be done and it will cost us nearly £700 to have it done, but he filled in a pre-authorisation form for us and we sent it off.

Well this morning he phone us and they have been in touch with him and they are going to pay for the operation to be done.

So on Wednesday at 8.30am we have to go in for a talk and mostly it will be done the same day.

I'm pleased that it's going to be done as it will save his life he he bloats again, but I'm so worried about him have an operation.

Sorry no real reason for this post, just wanted someone to talk to.

2. beris

beris PetForums Senior

My daughter's St Bernard kept getting bloat and he had the same operation when he was 2years old and he was 10 years old when he passed away.
    It was done with Petplan insurance and they were really good.

I hope all goes well for you.

3. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Wishing you all the best. Bloat is such a worry, for what it's worth I think you are totally right to get the op done.

Hugs to Dillon :)

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I dont really know much about it but it certainly seems the right choice to make. I am not sure why the vet thought the insurance would not pay - and very glad they will.

5. Happy Paws2

Thanks, we couldn't go though the though all that again, it was such a worry.

6. Happy Paws2

Not all ins. co.pay for preventive surgery, we are lucky ours do. :)

7. SleepyBones

SleepyBones Banned

I lost one of my dogs to torsion in 1995, I was around 100 miles from home, it was dark, I was driving & did not know the area I was passing through at all, I had never heard of torsion & had no idea at all what was going wrong, I eventually ended up in Dareham & he was pronounced dead by a vet there.

If any dog of mine had the chance to have a preventative op after 2 warnings I would go for it, no hesitation at all, I would be more worried if I had 2 episodes & no preventatives, its very rare for them to get away with one, I was told in 1995.

Torsion is safest seen as an on the spot death sentence.

#7 SleepyBones, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  8. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I'm glad some have the sense to see that paying for something to be done - to stop something much worse happening (which could end up costing loads more ..... and it could be multiple times) is worth it

If he's had it more than once now then unfortunately it really does make it far more likely to happen again :( so I think in your shoes I'd def have the op done ..... but still worry :eek:

9. Happy Paws2

We would have paid even if the insurance hadn't come up with the money, not nice seeing your dog in such a state, I really thought we were going to lose him.

10. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

Hope the op goes well.
    I think you are doing the right thing, if he has had it twice already it is good to take precautions in case of a third occurrence of it.

11. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Got to be done, he's just at too much risk. Doesn't help with the worry when he goes in though :(

Not sure how major an operation it is. Can they do it keyhole?

12. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

i'd be making the same decision if any dog of mine suffered bloat more than once. hope everything goes ok with the op.

13. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Harvey had this done last year when he bloated - if you ever want to talk it through, give me a nudge. xx

14. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Sounds like a good plan HP and good that it will be paid for.

15. Happy Paws2

Until we see the vet on Wednesday I'm not to sure but I think he said something about cutting a strip from the outside of stomach wall threading it round a rib then stitching it back to the stomach wall to hold it in place so it can't twist. It sounds simple but I still worried sick about it.

16. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Great news that they will cover the cost, although you will be anxious about the surgery no doubt, as its happened twice, it will give you some peace of mind at least, it must be a constant worry for you thinking is it going to happen again.

17. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I think surgery is the best option and it's great that the insurance company is paying out.

It's not worth the risk otherwise.

I'm sure everything will go well and in the end, it will probably save Dillon's life.

Good luck and big hugs to you and Dillon x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice