Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just got told off for not having a garden

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tinaK, Sep 6, 2013.

1. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

I've just dragged the girls out in the rain for a pee (mean me :D) anyhow I got chatting to a lady who waves at me sometimes.

She basically said my dogs were at an disadvantage not having a garden, and was it really fair on them :(

I explained I've never had a garden, but my dogs seem OK. Yes of course it would be nice, but I don't think my dogs suffer.

They get very regular walks, regular pee breaks. I said sometimes people with gardens just throw the dogs in the gardens and leave them

So no I don't think my girls are suffering :(

2. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

If you feel your dogs are happy then thats all that really matters :)

3. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

That's just daft! Having a garden means nothing ><

I know plenty who just open the door and let them out! Especially in bad weather!!

When I didn't have a garden, Rossi was out for a walk or stroll round the block 5 times a day plus 2 proper walks! I don't know many dogs who get out 7 times a day ;)

4. HappyWag

HappyWag PetForums Senior

We only have a small yard, Taz and Jasper go out there to toilet. They also get 2 walks a day, mainly off lead, plat ball, frisbee etc.
    I don't think it matters to your dogs, like mine they know no different, are loved and cared for. Would love a garden, but we can't have everything can we :)

5. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

I don't have a garden, Apollo gets two walks a day plus 3 pee breaks where he goes just outside.

my friend has a garden, her dog goes out for 1 walk a day in good weather some times 2 and in bad weather probably a couple times a week otherwise is just let in the garden to do her business

6. Barefootgirl

Barefootgirl PetForums Member

Presumably this person wasn't offering to buy you a new house with a garden - in which case it's really none of her business! I am new to this board but have been lurking for a while, and it's plain that you adore your dogs and they are brilliantly well-cared for, garden or no garden!

lozb likes this.
  7. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

To be honest a garden makes it easier for the owner, I doubt the dog cares when it goes out for more walks instead. Its more unfair when a dogs only experience of outside is a garden.

8. loukodi

loukodi PetForums Senior

That's ridiculous, if they are being taken out plenty theres no problem.
    I cant even let my dogs out in the garden properly at the minute because Bambi is constantly visiting. Suki will happily kill deer if she got the chance.

9. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Of course they dont suffer :mad:

Millie spent 2 years without a garden and it done her no harm.

In fact we have a garden now and all we use it for is last night pee at 11pm and pee when I get home at 5pm.

She doesnt go out there unless we are out there so now the summer sun has gone its not often at all :eek:

We are in the habit of not relying on a garden and I think thats the best way. Millie toilets on walks not in the garden adn the garden is no substitute for walkies.

The woman doesnt have a clue what she is on about. A garden make sit easier yes but certainly isnt cruel not having one if the dogs needs are met through regular walks.

10. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Life isnt fair either!! I would like a bigger house, more money, holidays etc!!!
    There are thousands of dogs in shelters that would love a nice owner that walked them several times a day, garden or no garden. Your dogs are lucky to have such a caring owner!! take no notice x

11. All The Babies

All The Babies PetForums Member

Some people make throw away remarks like that not understanding it can be for sensitive caring souls like you. Please think no more about it. I know 7 perfectly happy dogs who manage to lead very fulfilled lives without a garden! Like your doggies, they are walked often and loved hugely!

#11 All The Babies, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  12. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Ignore her hun, it really isn't any of her business, your girls are walked & loved & well cared for, they live like queens compared to many other dogs. Don't let her drag you down xx

13. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Why not just ignore people whose opinion really doesn't matter one way or another? Nod, smile sweetly and carry on regardless.

14. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

Sounds like she was just asking a question rather than "telling you off" to be honest. Many people do have a belief that a dog needs a garden - and probably haven't thought about it logically or for long enough to realise that it isn't a necessity. Some rescues will still not let dogs go to homes without secure gardens after all.

Sounds like you set her straight anyway and I bet she has thought no more about the exchange so you shouldn't either.

15. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

We have a communal grassed garden, which we do use but even so the girls are on lead for wees out there and then on lunge lines if they want a run out there, so basically with Apple being toilet trained shes out there more times then i care to count lol also they have a lunge line run and 2 walks a day, yeah in an ideal world we would have a garden they can run free in but their happy enough
    So i think if your girls get enough exercise then having no garden shouldnt be an issue and its deffo not your neighbours business to even say its not fair on them, everyone can see the girls are very loved and well adjusted so i say :ciappa: to the neighbour

16. Prowl

Prowl Guest

If someone came out with a remark like that to me I would probably think they don't actually know the first thing about keeping a dog.

As long as you love your dogs and care for them which clearly you do you can just shrug off comments like that.

She's probably jelous :>

17. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I dunno, does this dog look he's suffering?
    [​IMG]
    last I checked, No.

I live in an apartment with no balcony or garden. Yes, it sucks that I don't but my dogs don't seem to be all that bothered.

I'm pretty damn sure Clover and Daisy are very happy and not suffering just because they don't have a garden ;)

18. Barefootgirl

Barefootgirl PetForums Member

The poor deprived thing, you can see his misery and longing for a garden in his eyes....NOT ! He is fab, I have a Springer as well. What is that carrier thing, does he do Search & Rescue or similar?

19. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

I think your girls have a wonderful life! Ignore her...she clearly doesn't have a clue :p

I think my two would be just fine without a garden, it's just more convenient for me!! They rarely go out there other than for toileting. I think it shows more dedication on the owners part if you don't have a garden :)

20. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Ideally, every dog (and every child) would have a huge garden to play in, with lots of toys to stimulate them mentally and physically, with a non-smoking family who loves them, delicious, nutritious food and and a safe and warm place to sleep, and medical attention when it was needed.

Alas, this is the real world, not Camelot, so I think a loving family/owner, a full tummy and a safe warm bed and good care are all any of us can hope for (and nor do we need more - anything else is gravy, as an old Jewish lady in our street used say).

Dogs, and people who are loved can tolerate much greater hardships than not having their own garden - in fact, they won't even notice! I always joke that I had a deprived childhood and didn't know it, because when I look at what kids have now - I can scarcely believe how little we were happy with.

I'm not trying to say that the OP's dogs are at subsistence level with her - it's obvious they aren't - but I think we can often project our own preferences and desires onto other people and onto animals and convince ourselves that some things are essential when they aren't.

If I was a dog my list would be:

ESSENTIAL - someone who loved me to bits and treated me with kindness and respect, putting my welfare as their priority

DESIRABLE - a safe place for me and my person to sleep; enough food that we never felt really hungry, enough heat that we never felt really cold; lots of walks in different places to keep me interested

GRAVY - non-smoking people; lots of toys; steak dinners every night; my own garden with birds to bark at and chase wildly

CAVIAR - people who never had to leave the house for work or any other reason, except to walk me and play with me, or if they did, took me with them everywhere

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice