Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just got a puppy today

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MikeO, Apr 17, 2011.

1. MikeO

MikeO PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, just got a puppy today, he is a cross breed border collie.

But he seems very quiet. Now we were told he would be, but he is basically just lying around, head on front paws, and seems to be breathing heavy and fast also.

Should I be worried?

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Sounds like he might be stressed, but any doubts at all I would contact your vet; it is very difficult for those on here with much more knowledge than me to advise when we can't actually see the pup, over an internet forum.

Congratulations on your new arrival by the way!

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I agree with Dogless, any concerns with a lethargic new pup its worth erring on the side of caution and calling the vet ;)

Hope its all ok and we can have some lovely puppy pics soon, xxx

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Congrats on the new arrival
    I would go to the vets in the morning, with any new puppy I would be at the vets first oppurtunity to gets jabs and general check over done. But esp with the behaviour you are describing.
    I would expect puppy to sleep a lot but are you describing just moping?
    Border collies are sensitive breeds and it is stressful coming into new home. But vets is your best bet.

5. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

My pup was very quite on the first day but she was still exploring the house. I would do as previously mentioned and take her to the vet to be sure. Congratulations on your new pup though, the madness begins!

6. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

I agree with the others.

My collie was a quiet pup when we first got him but he did love to play and as I already had another young dog I think that helped him bring himself out a bit!

My boy was quite a serious lad.

If the vet gives him the all clear maybe just take a bit of time out to sit and play with him and maybe introduce him to a ball. They tend to be ball nuts!:)

Congratulations on getting a lovely pup!

7. Gopher

Gopher PetForums Senior

I would also get pup pup to the vets, however, my puppy did sleep an amazing amount when he first arrived so once he's been checked over just be re assured they DO sleep a lot and enjoy, it won't last long :D

8. MikeO

MikeO PetForums Newbie

Thanks Guys :smile:

He will be going to the vets this week for his first puppy jab :(

Just pricing it up now. So I will have a chat with them too, he is much more lively today though

9. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Most vets will do a free puppy health check for you i always adviced people when my pups left me to go and get their vet to gove that free health check. And any problems come back to me.

Get him checked over it could be nothing but if it is somethign at least its caught early.

Welcome to PF and congrats on your new pup. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice