Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just got a 'noise complaint' letter from the Humane Society, have some questions

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GS123, Aug 14, 2009.

1. GS123

GS123 PetForums Newbie

Hey guys quick question,

technically I didn't get a noise complaint but rather my brother in law who lives up the street recieved a complaint from the HSPCA about his Cane Corso because he howls at nights for several hours. He has never had an anonymous letter saying please keep the noise down, nor has anyone ever complained before. This would be the first complaint. However, the corso howls often very softly but consistantly every night from about 1 am-5 am. Reason being A) We have a fire station not too far from the area and he howls when the trucks go out & B) There are coyotes in the distance that howl all night and that triggers his howling.

He keeps him in the yard area but his howl is so loud it is bothering one or two neighbors down the hill. They went ahead and filed a complaint and I'm not quite sure what the reprucussion is. I just want to help him out with the situation and we're not quite sure what to do. He has had the dog years before I had the opportunity to work with him or else things might have been different, unfortunately he's a bit older now and has gotten used to the routine.

Also, what can the Humane Society do as a repruccusion if one or two neighbors continue to complain? Can they legally take the dog away?

Again I have no problems like this with my dogs, but then again my dogs are indoor dogs. I would appreciate any help, thank you.

#1 GS123, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Hiya, I assume you're not from the UK from your post? :)

I'm not sure what that legal body will actually be able to do BUT if it does reach a peak then I would assume they could take away the dog. Has your brother in law been to a trainer or a behaviourist? That could help a lot.

A bit random but you say you have indoor dogs. How does that work? All dogs need exercise, even the smallest ones :confused:

3. Yogi B

Yogi B PetForums Member

Generally the Humane Society has not authority over such incidents. This usually falls on your local animal control officer. Taking the dog is the last option, he would be first cited and fined and this may happen a couple times before they look a stricter legal action.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Can he not just bring the dog in over night?

5. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

by indoor dog he means that the dog LIVES indoors, but is still walked etc

sorry i cant help you though:(

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thanks for clearing that up :)

7. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Well, tbh i think your brother in laws neighbours are quite within their rights to complain, i know if my neighbour had a dog that howled for 4 hours every night i would put a complaint in.

He needs to bring the dog inside to stop it from howling, its not fair on the neighbours. I dont know how things are done whenever you are from but over here i believe their can be fines and criminal action taken over noise complaints so it is a serious matter.

8. OK i'm probabl not going to be popular here either

BUT if one of my neighbours dogs was constandly howling like that during the night i would be reporting them too - i have children and other pets who need to sleep, and its not fair on them.

Could the dog not live indoors?

Has he taken legal advice?

Has he sought the help of a behaviourist?

Has he apologies to the neighbours and assured them he is working on a soloution?

In the interim keeping the dog inside at night may help to alleviate the problem, while expert advice is sought to cure the problem completely.

The dog cannot be happy being outside howling his nights away, and the problem needs adressing asap.

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Brilliant advice BBM, repping you for that x

Edit: I would but apparently I need to spread it around :rolleyes:

10. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

Apparently we have to inform enviromental health in England of any problems as this, my friend was told, that we... are not entitled to quietness..... There has to be a list of times & day's/nights the problem occurs for about a month.
    Has the dog only started this howling or has it been going on for some time now & someone has decided to complain?
    I reported a neighbour once, more or less for the same thing, the RSPCA, would have nothing to do with it, they were only interested if it had shelter & food, they fobbed me off to the council, which informed me they tried to do often, after fighting for a year for someone to check the poor dog out, turns out the poor mite had so many fleas it had scratched itself raw, it's skin had turned to swollen leather, it's nails were clawed under it's paws as it got no exercise, other from being let out into a small yard to go toilet (which the owner left without cleaning. The dog was eventually removed, £3000 vet & kennel fee's later, the dog has a new forever home & is doing well, I thought it was a very old dog & was shocked to find out it was only 2yrs old. He was supposed to go back to court for sentencing, but the guy decided to visit the doctors & say he was depressed, now living off the state (he was a carer in a old folks home)!!!!!!!! GO FIGURE HUH. So I know it must be a little stressing for your brother, folk complaining, but in my case I'm so glad I did, for the dog's sake.
    Hope everything works out for him & the dog.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice