Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just For The Love of My Dog??

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Dave D, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Dave D

Dave D PetForums Newbie

Hii.

Am I doing something wrong? I would like to find a female GSD to mate with my male GSD (pretty sure thats how it works?), but I have no interest of making money, no interest in type/breed, all I want is my boy to have a son/daughter pup to survive it's father and keep a connection to their Dad to me when the time comes... (I won't finish the sentence deliberately).

Theres no immediate time constraint Dave my GSD is only 2 years old as near as, he's 3 weeks short to be totally honest. The only thing I can find is Breeders who earn a honest living breeding or the 'chancers' looking to profit. I hold the opinion that dogs are more precious than money, I do not care if I've a Best in Show (I don't do shows), pedigree, mixed or an out and out mongrel. These opinions are only mine and I remain respectful of anyone who disagrees as there is a huge possibility I'm not 100% correct, but then again neither do I claim to be.

So I'm asking really, is there any sort of 'casual' (dear me, spent 5 mins trying to word it and came up with 'casual'!) breeding scene I'm unaware of?
    Thanks in advance.

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

No.
    Not responsibly or ethically anyways.

The problem is that dogs don't only have one puppy. They can have 8+ in a single litter.
    Are you prepared to potentially keep 8 German shepherds, as well as your boy for their whole lives?
    Are you aware than any puppies may not be anything like your boy in looks or temperament?
    Are you prepared for the potential fallout if your boy simply doesn't get along with another dog?
    Are you prepared for mating to potentially change your boys behaviour for the worse?
    At not even two years old, he still has a lot of maturing to do, mentally.

There's no shortage of lovely pet dogs out there already, as well as fantastic working, sport and show dogs with wonderful temperaments and health that have been certified by an outside party.
    I'm sure your boy is lovely, but German shepherds are prone to a number of health issues and are not a rare breed in the slightest.
    There's already so many dogs that can't find homes. What's the point in adding more random dogs into an already flooded market?
    The vast majority of dogs simply do not need to be bred.

Burrowzig, MrsClare, Sairy and 11 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d say forget the idea of breeding and just enjoy him.

Sairy, Sarah H, LinznMilly and 3 others like this.
  4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Are you serious?
    You came to own Dave because he was unwanted and about to be PTS for his behavioral issues, and you're going to add more dogs to this problem?
    Behavior is genetic. Yes, good training can help (which you failed to listen to there also), but the genetics that caused the behavior to begin with can't be trained out.

I'm starting to wonder if you're some sort of sophisticated troll posting hot-button topics and then abandoning the thread to sit back and watch the blow-up.

LittleMow, Sairy, Torin. and 7 others like this.
  5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'd just enjoy having your boy as a lovely pet, I see no reason to breed from him.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

If your dog has behavioural issues then you absolutely should not breed him, temperament (alongside health) is probably the most important criteria when considering breeding a dog.

There are already enough poorly bred, nervy, reactive GSDs with no health tests in the world without adding more.

7. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

@Dave D I commend you for persevering with Dave as I know you took him on at 8 months when he was destined to be pts due to behavioural issues. I am really glad that things are working out for you and that you have gained Dave's trust, and I wish you many happy years together.

However, I urge you to reconsider your decision to breed from him. Temperament is hereditary and, whilst I understand that Dave was treated poorly by previous owners, it is very possible that the nervy traits he has shown could be passed down to his pups. You also need to consider the physical health of pups and any parents used for breeding would need to be health-tested first (for GSDs this should be hip and elbow scores, DM testing and haemophilia for sires as a minimum). Then consider that GSDs often have large litters (often 8-10 pups). What would happen to the remaining pups? What if there were issues down the line with new owners - would you be in a position to take back any pups?

You mention in your post that you want to have a pup as a connection to their dad. Well, IMO if you want another dog then the best way to honour Dave would be to rescue a second dog and show the same commitment you have done with him. Please do not add to the number of unwanted dogs in this world by producing more.

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hoping the lack of response is @Dave D mulling things over and reconsidering after taking on the sound advice shared here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice