Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just done the hardest thing

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by tordiamond, Aug 3, 2009.

1. tordiamond

tordiamond PetForums Member

For a while my cat had started to poo in the house and being sick but he was still his same self,eating,jumping up on chairs,going outside,but when i came home from work this morning he was just laying there,he had shallow breathing,his tongue was sticking out and dribbling.He kept making a low meowing noise,we thought he might have been hit by a car,but when he did get up to walk he was walking with no problem.I carried him downstairs and put him on his favourite chair but he jumped off and went and layed under the table.I kept watching him but he just wasn,t right,he didn,t even move when the dogs came in,and they must have sensed something was wrong as they never went over to him to see him.In the end i rang the vets and told them the problem and they said it could be a number of things as he was an old cat,18 years old,so the best thing was to stop his suffering and have him put to sleep.But it is for the best but such a hard thing to do when he has been with us all his life,taking him in the car and holding him on my lap was a nightmare,he was just listless and kept deep meowing,on the vets table it was as if he knew what was going to happen because he just layed there and didn,t move one bit,not even a flinch when she put the needle in.He is now buried in the garden where he use to lay in the sun,he had such a good life and i shall miss him very much.It is so hard to do the right thing but you all know it is for the best as we don,t like our animals to suffer.:crying:

2. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Im so sorry for your loss. :(
    You did the best thing for him though and the kindest thing. He will always remain in your heart and mind. Try to remember the good times and the love you shared...xxxx ;) :)

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Oh how awful for you...but have done the right thing..:( Doesnt make it any easier though does it..
    Thinking of you at this heart breaking time! :(

RIP..Little Man

4. tordiamond

Thankyou both of you,its only been an hour since he,s been gone,so tears are still fresh.

5. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

My thoughts are with you at this very sad time. I know you must be heart broken...xxxx

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry even if its the best thing for them its still hard. Run free little guy.

7. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Awwwww im so sorry to hear your sad news, try and remember all the fun times and the times that made you smile :)

When we lost our bun last month I found it helped looking at videos and pictures of her :)

8. marion..d

marion..d PetForums VIP

it has to be one of the hardest thing you have to do, but you did the right thing for your cat.....

9. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

So So Sorry .........:( :crying: Hugs to you xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

10. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is a very difficult decision isn't it, I went though the same agonising decision with my cat Sugar earlier this year.
    You did the right thing and you gave him a long, loving life. 18 is a good age to live to.

RIP little guy

11. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Take comfort in the fact that you gave him a long and happy life and that when the time was right you did the right thing for him to go peacefully.

I am sure he will be very missed.

12. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

so sorry to hear about your poor cat. at least he is out of any suffering and you can rest assured he had a fantastic life with a family who loved him lots.
    Ihope the pain will soon be gone and you can remember him and smile
    big hugs coming your way

13. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss
    I know how you feel i had to have my 20 year old boy Buster pts last year and just recently my Bailey he was just 5 days from being a year old ((((((big hugs)))))) you did the right thing

viv xx

14. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss.
    Just reading about him brought tears to my eyes.
    We all know that when we have animals this is what we should do and it Hurts.

Rest In Peace Little Man and run free at Rainbow Bridge.

15. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

You are 1 very brave person as you have done something I could never do and that's having an animal PTS. What you did was for the best and your cat died knowing he was loved and cared for. May your cat R.I.P xx

16. Crocky

Crocky PetForums Junior

How heartbreaking...
    It's a very tough decision to make, we had to do the same thing last year. And you did the right thing: he didn't suffer long and he's in a good place I'm sure. He had a very good & long life, so may he rest in peace.

Lots of hugs for you! I know you're having a hard time now...

17. tordiamond

Thankyou all for your kind words,everytime i read another post i get choked up,but i so sympathise with everyone who goes through the same thing.x

18. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh I am so so sorry for your loss I completely understand how you feel we lost our 10 year old cat who had been with us since being married, through our children being born etc, etc and was part of the family, he had blood in his poo, and I had no idea how ill he was, he went like yours just lying there, and you just know theres something very very wrong. We took him the vet, just expecting them to say he needed some medicine, they wanted to keep him in, again I just thought they will find out whats wrong and give him some medicine, but he died whilst there, and I was and still am so traumatized that I didnt just have him put down while he was in my arms...........if i had had any idea he wouldn't have got better I would never have left him in a strange lonely place ... you did the right thing, and he was with you when he went to sleep and would have been happy.

Just wanted to say 18 years is an amazing achievement, he must have had a very long happy life with you.

Tracy x

#18 kitties, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  19. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss. It's a horrible & sad thing to have to do, but at least he was in your arms & feeling loved when they time came & is not suffering any longer. Remember the good times & the silly things he did to make you smile and try your best to blot the bad time yesterday out. Thinking of you xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice