Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just curious...would you leave your cat with a stranger?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jaf, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

I'm looking online on a house rental site for a week later this year. I've been doing this awhile, I much refer it to a hotel. Anyway I've come across one or two places where the cat stays with the house! Although I love cats and would be very glad of the feline company I can't imagine who could leave their cat with a stranger. I can't decide if they are lovely, trusting people or if they have lost their marbles.

2. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

Far, far, far too trusting !

SpringDance likes this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I would never do this, its too risky.

4. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I suppose if they have a cat used to being outside most of the time it's the easy way. I'd never take a house with incumbent animals, I'd feel the responsibility far too keenly and be constantly checking they were OK. Hardly a stress free break. Frankly if they want to leave their cat in situ they should be paying rather than charging.

Torin. and Temporally_Loopy like this.
  5. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Jaf: What happens to the cat after a week when you move out? Do the owners collect it?; do they move back in?; will the house be immediately re-let to someone who may or not bother to feed it?
    That's a no from me.

chillminx likes this.
  6. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I assumed it was a holiday let - the sort you do on house swapping sites.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Temporally_Loopy

As havoc pointed out - if they want animal sitters then they should pay for them rather than passing on the responsibility. What if there was an accident (rather than illness) while the owner was away, could there be insurance implications (or blame attached) to the person renting the house?

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

This - I have seen programmes where people swap houses and look after each others animals, plants etc. and even have use of a car if abroad.

I guess if you are trusting someone you've never met with you home then why not the cat?

I wouldn't let strangers stay in my home anyway, and I would get someone I knew to look after my animals, eve if it was a holiday let next to my home but I was going to be away myself.

Even some house/animal sitting is done without money changing hands between the owner/sitter although they are usually registered through an agency.

Something OH and I might consider doing when we retire. We want to travel round and see the whole of the UK in a motorhome so it would give us free parking etc. in return for one of us sleeping in the home and looking after the animals and being a presence at the property :)

9. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

I'm suprised that the cat is ok with strangers in their house. My lot get the right hump with changes. I much prefer a house to a hotel, but the owner has to expect a certain amount of nosiness!

The site is not a swap site, not sure if I should name it, you can rent a room or a whole house. You do have to register with I.D.

The last house with a cat said the cat is fed dry only, so I suppose you just top up the biscuits and close the door as you leave.

I just think it's so risky. Poor cat could take fright and run or worse. Friends had a friend dog sit, they went out for a whole weekend. Other friends had to have a dog they were looking after Pts. At least these days everyone has a mobile phone so you can call them.

10. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Never in a million years would I do that to my girls! I'm funny about visitors staying at my own home with me in it, my husband often says " would you like visitors to fill in a questionnaire before they arrive :Shy"

Calvine and Ali71 like this.
  11. Temporally_Loopy

Not only would I not do that to Bertie but I would not take on the responsibility for someone else's pets. It might be fine but I'm pessimistic and mistrusting. What if the animal is ill or in an accident and you discover that insurance isn't in place? Do you pay for the treatment etc. etc. etc. I can think of too many possibilities for things to go wrong.

Calvine likes this.
  12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Someone I know was going away for a few weeks and having work done to the house in their absence. They asked the builder if he would ''just give the cat something to eat once a day while they were away''. They could afford Barbados but not boarding:rolleyes:; needless to say, the cat moved in with neighbours while they were away as he was petrified of having three strange men in the house knocking down walls. They did not see him once.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

No I bloomin well wouldn't!!!

14. AmsMam

AmsMam belongs to the crazy cat

I personally wouldn't: it would be a complete gamble as to whether Ams would like them or spend the whole time cowering under the bed.

If she was more sociable and I trusted the way the site was run and could vet my visitors then maybe, but I would still rather not expect guests to feed and clean up after a pet during their holiday.

(Having someone to stay in the house in order to look after a pet is different in my view as I would expect it to be arranged on different terms if that makes sense. And with Ams I would want ideally to book someone she knows, not a complete stranger.)

Torin. and Temporally_Loopy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice