Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just checking

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Beagle, May 8, 2010.

1. Beagle

Beagle PetForums Junior

Sorry, just need to check as something on rachybobs' thread has really bothered me.

Is it really true that if I took my beautiful, healthy 13 week old puppy into the vets and insisted they put him to sleep they actually would? Just because I 'own' him?

I actually feel sick even asking the question and would never even dream of such a thing but surely a vet wouldn't do this? I know I couldn't.

Sorry, just bothered by it

bx

2. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I am not sure how it works over there in the UK but the vets here wouldn't unless a good reason for doing so.

They would take the animal and if fit and healthy etc either give it to the rescue shelter, or someone will take them home!

I have never heard of vets doing that here and a few of my friends are vet nurses/vets/and shelter staff.

Having said that i live somewhere that has no utter rescue crisis. The Island can cope even though its so sad that any animal is in a shelter at all :frown:

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

No its not true. Whilst there will be many Veterinary Surgeons that will do it, they have every right to refuse you. The only time it was done where i worked was when a rescue place couldnt be sourced for the dog who had turned on their other dog and almost killed it, and when working along side a rescue/pound.

RCVS Online / Veterinary Surgeons / 2D. Maintaining practice standards

4. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I think it depends on the vet one of my cavs went to the vet as a pup for health check before the whole litter was sold to a pet store in England(i'm in Wales) he was too small and was supposed to be PTS but the vet knew i will take any cavs so told the bloke he wouldn't do it as he had a home for the pup and phoned me. I have also had x breeding bitches that way as well.

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

My last dog - collie x was taken to the vets to be PTS. She was only 2!

Thankfully she ended up at the local rescue and claimed me. This was her third home in her short life. She never put a foot wrong and grew up with my children. She was the perfect family dog.

I found out that her first home was with cousins of my ex hubby, cant remember why they gave her away. No wonder I never made the grade with that family :eek: The next owner took her to the vets saying he had to go into hospital and couldnt look after her. Thank goodness she ended up at the rescue.

6. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Any vet who considers themselves to be GOOD VET PRACTICE won't do it....I know mine wouldn't....if they did I wouldn't have mine registerd there, if a vet can do this then I have to question how good they are at their job.
    Clare xx

7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

No, our vet would NEVER do that. He gives these puppies to foster homes while he tries to find them a home. He doesnt send them to the shelter, as sadly, very very very VERY sadly, the shelter in the town where I live puts down over 90% of the dogs:(:(

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

When William was hit by a car 3 years ago we were told he would never walk again. We asked the vet to put him to sleep. The vet refused he said amputate and if we didn't want him give him to greyhound resue.We took him home and the rest is history. Within 10 weeks he was not only walking again but was completely sound. I'm glad my vet refused to PTS ok 3 years later we lost him but I'm glad my vet refused.

9. Beagle

Beagle PetForums Junior

Thanks so much for all your replies - I do feel so much better and it's really reassuring to here that vets (most!) are as ethical as I have always assumed them to be!

Thanks

B

10. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Good Question.. but in are heart of hearts we all new it wasn't true.. That would make the vet interested only in money and not the welfare of animals...
    It downright annoyed me what was put... Pulling on heart strings like that..

Kinda makes people help that aren't really in a position too.. then they struggle themselves...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice