Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just bought 'Natural Instinct'...Any good??

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ChrisKon, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ChrisKon

ChrisKon PetForums Junior

Hey Whisker lovers!

I just bought a minimum order of 'Natural Instinct' (Including wing tips) for my two 5 month olds.

Just wondering if anyone uses/used this food and whether it has worked out for you?

Also, I'm assuming that I can rotate Natural instinct with other cannned foods (Animonda Carny, Cosma etc..) Well,...Can I?

Thanks in advance my friendly feline peers :)

2. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

Hello :D

I have used and it is good food (although I now make my own raw)

It can be rotated with canned food, mine get one canned meal a day and one raw meal a day.

Hope your cat gets on with it.

I certainly think raw is the way to go, their coats get so much glossier and they have more condition I think. Also it's what cats are meant to eat.

In fact I have just rescued a 10 week old kitten and I can't wait to get her transfered onto raw :D

3. ChrisKon

Thanks for the reply Space Chick! :D

That's great to hear! I'm looking forward to introducing their new diet, I've got a feeling my Maxi boy will just wolf it down!

I totally agree, raw meat is their natural diet and I want to get as close to that as possible. (Without having to throw live rodents at them!) When I'm ready, I will definately go for the DIY approach on raw food!

Enjoy your time with your new kitty, I'm sure it's in the best care. :)

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

My cats are fed 75% on NI and I wean my kittens straight onto it - It's fantastic stuff. The dog eats 100% dog NI and has done from 6 weeks old.

5. ChrisKon

Thanks Spid!

Sounds re-assuring that I'm heading in the right direction towards Cat Health Town!! :D

Would you suggest that I mix in a bit of NI with their current food first to ease them into new diet? Or just throw them straight into their new grub?!!

6. Prince33Sp4rkle

Prince33Sp4rkle PetForums Member

mine is on about 85% NI now, just the occasional bit of Bozita or Applaws.

He looks fab on it, so shiney, everyone who comes to house cant stop cuddling and stroking him and saying how soft and glossy he is!

also, added bonus, poo doesnt smell!

7. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

The general recommendation is to gradually introduce the new food, so try a meal of raw, a meal of tinned and see how they get on.

8. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

We have all our cats now on Natural Instinct. We have a 14 month, 8 month old BSHs and now a 4 month old Selkirk Rex. They are fed 90-95% NI with Applaws complementary making up the rest. They love it and now find they do not like the other good quality packet food. They like all the flavours especially the Chicken and Beef, Chicken and Lamb, Wild Game and Venison. Rabbit is a bit iffy. The firm is quick on delivery.

I do add Ox Heart, Lambs Heart, Pig Cheeks, and Quail in chunks just to add variety in texture etc. I can highly recommend Natural Instinct.

9. scooper163

scooper163 PetForums Junior

sorry to takeover this thread (seem to be doing alot of that) but can I ask how much would I need to spend per month if I was to get raw food for my two kittens who now are 11weeks
    I really want to feed raw but worried I may not be able to afford it.

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

they should have between 125 and 250g a day each. If they have a growth spurt they will need the higher amount maybe even more. 125g a day each will cost you about £1.25 in total and 250g a day will cost you £2.50 in total. So per month between £38 and £75 a month.

11. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Spid.....I presume you are basing this on 5-6% of body weight as Sooper's two are kittens?
    For an adult the recommendation is 2-3% of body weight....so the average 5KG cat would eat 100-150g, meaning one box of NI would last 3 days, thus costing 75p per cat per day.

12. kr00t0n

kr00t0n PetForums Member

Winston is on 99% NI now (treats make up the rest).

Going to try something a bit different with my next order.

10x combination of Rabbit and Bird (He hates Venison and has gone off the 2 chicken versions)
    1x Pure chicken from the dog section
    1x Pure duck from the dog section

So he gets 80g of the complete stuff in the morning, 40g of chicken/duck in the early eve, then 80g of complete again at night.

200g and keeping within the 80/20% complete/complementary rule. :)

13. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

Wait.....I thought that cats couldn't eat dog food - even from NI? Or am I just plucking this out of thin air......??

14. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

Looking at the Pure Duck and Pure Chicken it is only ground duck with bone or chicken, it has no vegetables however nor does it have supplements. Therefore as kr00t0n mentioned they are keeping to the 80%/20% complete/complementary rule.

I have bought the Pure Duck , which comes coursely minced, pink and bloody. My cats liked it as an an occasional alternative. It does come in a 1kg container.

Personally mine love NI.

15. spid

spid PetForums VIP

A) yes I was doing kitten weights and amounts and having the idea that you can't over feed kittens :)

B) the pure range is fine for cats. Especially when used as the 20%. I use it from time to time.

16. maunders

maunders PetForums Newbie

im going to make a minimum order for my two 5 months old to try. In general what age should I stop feeding them as much as they can eat? Also I take it NI is kept in the freezer? whats the best way to defrost/keep it fresh?

17. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I keep one tub in the fridge after defrosting. Before the arrival of my youngest cat that would last for two days. Now two adults (one pregnant and one with kitten) and a 5 month old kitten can get through the lot plus around a half a tin of Animonda a day.
    You can semi defrost and cut a tub into portions then re-freeze them if this is better for you.

18. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

And I think so too.

Try giving them a raw egg as a treat as this gets rid of those eggs which you can't use and they do love them. I personally give the yolk only, but some people give the while too.

If you're interested in making your own, it can be super easy. Check out this thread for a little guide :yesnod:

Mine get raw for two days once every 14 days or so... until I start making raw more regular :D.

#18 anotheruser, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  19. Bonnie82

Bonnie82 PetForums Senior

We've just bought a new fridge-freezer with a much bigger freezer section than our old one had :thumbup: and I was hoping to start buying some Natural Instinct for our two.

Would someone mind measuring one of the containers for me, so I can get a rough idea of how many I'd be able to fit into my newly-designated cat food drawer? :rolleyes:

PLEEEEEEASE? ;)

20. leapylees

leapylees PetForums Newbie

I'd also like to know the container measurements as I'm considering ordering NI - still trying to wade my way through the evidence on both sides of the pro/anti-raw feeding argument. And we don't have much space - space is already tight in our fridge-freezer and my partner is vegetarian (he won't squeal in delight if I fill the freezer compartment with meat products :rolleyes: ) so I need to work out if, and how much, I can fit in our, currently unplugged, 'spare freezer.'

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice