Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just bit of advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Katie48, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Katie48

Katie48 PetForums Newbie

Hello. I have posted a few times about my 1 year old st Bernard. I am feeling extremely overwhelmed. After a awful relationship break down I feel like I have failed my dog. I never thought I'd be a person that rehomes a dog. Don't get me wrong she is my world. She does doggy day care twice a week. But she just isn't happy. It breaks my heart. I just want her to be happy. I try to take her for walks but she hates people and jumps and growls at people, scared of cars and just sits outside my house and refuses to walk. I just want her to be happy. I had a behaviourist out and he said she is aggressive and left and wasn't able to actually meet her as she freaked out at him.
    I have booked another one in the new year but am so so worried she will bite him when he comes in the house.
    I am just so overwhelmed with how much I have failed her. I just want her to be happy. Has anyone ever felt this way? Thank you

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Yes all the time I have a thread on the go about my boxers behaviour. First I think you need to find a good behaviourist. Ideally you will get a recommendation from your vet. You want someone who uses positive reinforcement not pack behaviour stuff. What have you tried so far with regards to training? How long have you had her ?

Doggy day care isn’t ideal for a reactive dog it might be worth taking a break from this.

JoanneF, LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Katie48

Katie48 PetForums Newbie

She is a different dog at doggy day care. I think because she's gone since she young she knows where she stands. she fine with dogs it's just people. The behaviourist just told me I have loved her too much and she is the dominant one and now aggressive. Told me to not stroke her or let on the sofa. Told us to hold her different and she wears a halti which I completely get to try to have control over her. But all she does it fight and roll around trying to take it off. She doesn't enjoy any walks. Just want her to be happy and I'll do anything for that

Jason25 likes this.
  4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

That’s awful advice get rid of that trainer. You really want to condition a dog to a head collar if she is not comfortable it will make her anxiety worse. Hopefully someone else can help with that. In the meantime best advice I had was to take some time off walks. Do you have any secure fields near you ?

https://dogwalkingfields.com/

LittleMow, Jason25, JoanneF and 2 others like this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

That behaviourist is an idiot so ignore everything he told you would be my advice to start with.

If she’s fighting against the Halti then it probably wasn’t introduced slowly enough.

I would swap to a comfortable harness with a lead attached front and top to get her to relax again.

Have you tried distance training, where you find the distance at which she is calm and reward that behaviour?

Given the Covid restrictions at the moment, it might be a while before you can get a good behaviourist on board so maybe avoid taking her out on walks for a week to allow her to de stress and the Cortisol to dissipate from her system.

Instead, do some obedience training and play with her to keep her active and stimulated in a stress free environment.

Then start slowly with lots of encouragement, avoiding places where she will be faced with her triggers at close quarters.

Look at positively.com, kikopup and thecanineconsultants.co.uk for advice too.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Have a look at @Boxer123’s thread in Dog Chat “Just don’t know what to do” as I’m sure you’ll find lots of tips in there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice