Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just a quick couple of questions..

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by frags, May 17, 2010.

1. frags

frags PetForums VIP

Does size matter? :D :D :D :D

Ok serious now.....

Do 2 rabbits need to be of similar size to bond? Can 1 be a small breed and 1 be a giant breed?

If the doe is already nuetered and the buck is being nuetered this week how soon can they be bonded? I know 6 weeks to allow fo no pregnancies but if the doe isnt able to get preg can they be bonded sooner?

Is a car ride the best way to bond?

2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Ok, well, my lot are proof that size doesnt matter :p with the smallest breed and a x-large breed together, with one inbetween! lol And now it will be 2 giants(although not quite yet, at the mo, they are tinys!), 1 x-large, 1 Med-Lrg and 2 tinys! lmao

I would give him a couple of weeks to get over it and for his hormones to settle before trying him with a girly :)
    He may well be sore, and wont take kindly to being with another bun! Also its possible he could open up his wound if he got too over-excited.

A car ride is by far the best way to bond them :) Make it as rough as possible, sharp bends, bumpy roads(seem hard to find around ur way!) and put the music on loud in the back. For 2, a normal cat carrier will do, obviously with mine I have to use an indoor cage! You will need someone on stand by with a water pistol if you are driving :p

When you get them home, they will need to spend at least the rest of the day in a neutral, small space, a few days is better to be sure :) then you can gradually increase the space once they are grooming each other :)

You have my email addy or PM if you want some help, lol, not that I'm an expert!

*Heidi*

#2 hazyreality, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  3. frags

frags PetForums VIP

Thank you my darling, you have been a fabby help x

4. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Ditto the above apart from be careful with the rough ride, not too rough to stress them out too much!!! Also i wouldnt put the music on loud, rabbits have very sensitive hearing. Im sure you'll do a great job Frags anyway :)

5. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I have met a continental giant bonded to a proper mini lop, was very sweet

I'm sure u will have no troubles

6. hazyreality

The reason I say a rough ride is because when I was talking to the lady at the rescue the other day, she said that it would work better. She said the reason it works is because they are stressed.

*Heidi*

7. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

iv never heard of the car ride!!

i have 2 bunnys, not bonded though, i male neutered dwarf lop and a female dwarf lop shes not neutered yet though. could this work for me? x

8. hazyreality

I dont see why not :) Its seems to be one of the best ways to bond rabbits, well tested :p
    I've spoke to a few rescues and they all said that was a good technique :)

For those without cars, putting the carrier on top of a washing machine on spin cycle does nearly as good a job!

*Heidi*

9. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Just the car journey should encourage them to huddle together i just wouldnt encourage anyone to stress their buns out too much.

10. Tsuyama

Tsuyama PetForums Junior

Hi guys,

I can confirm that the car ride trick really does work!

I was sceptical about it at first, I just couldn't see anything working for my two rabbits. However, it worked a treat, I used a small indoor cage (the one in the pics in my other post today) and my wife drove around while I sat next to the rabbits in the back, they were obviously freaked out by the car ride but they did hop around a bit and had a sniff of each other with no fighting at all. By the end of the car ride the girl kept sticking her head underneath the boy, who didn't seem to mind.
    There was a bit of fighting and humping once we got home but by the next day they were used to each other and now they seem to be fine.

I'd say give it a go.... but MAKE SURE all this is done in a completely neutral cage/box/space

My rabbits are different sizes/breeds by the way

11. frags

frags PetForums VIP

Thanks for your help, i have another question....

The hutch they are going to be living in was the bucks, ive taken him out and put him into 1 of mine, the hutch he was in is being scrubbed up big time with jeyes fluid and i wont be putting them into it for a few weeks after his teabags are off and i have still to get the doe, will this be ok?

12. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Jays is pretty strong I used it to take the black mold off the wendy house roof. I'm sure it will be enough, maybe spray some vinegar if you have any

13. hazyreality

Yeh I agree with Emzy, spray it with some white vinegar aswell :)

*Heidi*

14. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I dont think i would have managed to bond my four without several car rides a day!! I use vinegar too, it works :)

15. hazyreality

Thats my plan for tomorrow, and maybe Friday(which is actually my birthday! lol) and even Saturday, lmao.
    I am going to vinegar my shed tomorrow, have to shut the 4 out in the run. I am worried about using Jeyes because it will only have a few hours free of buns and I dont want the fumes to get them, so I will just use some disinfectant and vinegar.

*Heidi*

16. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

Frags, if you need help, feel free to drop them off at mine for a bonding week ;)

I am moving in a few months, but will be around the majority of the time until August :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice