Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just a question

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Mariealana, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Mariealana

Mariealana PetForums Junior

First I thought that Billy had a double and I was fussing and feeding two cats but as Billy has been in the last few days, I've realised that he seems to have two personalities. Is it possible for cats to have mental health issues? He's either got schizophrenia or a very early onset of dementia, which is unlikely I'm sure. I'll explain below.

Billy is one years old and is an outdoor cat but occasionally does like to stay in. He comes to me when called and sleeps indoors at night 99% of the time.

Recently (like the last few weeks) I've noticed a big change in his behaviour. He is not normally very vocal or shy in any way.
    Sometimes he is his normal self, my baby Bill - very affectionate, purring, sits on my lap for hours, asks to go out and asks to come in a few hours later, eats three times a day, plays with ribbon and comes up to me to kiss my nose, likes being fussed, generally very happy and loves being carried round like a baby, sits near the dog and licks her.

Then other times it's like a different cat in my house - very vocal, five minutes after being fed he's meowing for more until he gets so distressed that he seems to scream until I give in, meowing to go out then when the door shuts, meowing to be let back in (this goes on for about 15 minutes until I walk away in frustration as it ends in him almost screaming at me but he seems very confused like he has forgot he's asked to go out), He doesn't let me fuss him but follows me everywhere screeching for about half hour, making odd noises that I think means he's confused. He seems to forget sometimes that we have a dog and he'll raise his hair and hiss like he did the first time he saw a dog as a kitten. He'll walk in and out of the bathroom meowing, cowers when I do try to fuss him, doesn't purr during these episodes and just seems generally unhappy and confused.
    After this he'll fall asleep for four hours and then wake up 'normal' again. These episodes are slowly getting more frequent.

I'm gonna get him to the vets when I take Princess the dog for her microchipping. What can I expect? Will they take a head scan or something?

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Billy is definitely a male? Not a female in season? Daft question, but better ask!

If he is definately male, is he neutered?

3. Mariealana

He's a male - he's got balls lol. He's getting fixed when I can take him down in the Easter break.
    Was meant to do it months ago but we had trouble with the landlord then the bathroom ceiling fell down and I forgot as I was too busy trying to look for another house. We didn't move in the end. I know it's no excuse - I've already been told off by the vets. Luckily all the female cats in the area are done and the female feral cats don't interact with others and normally fight any cat they come across. I know three of the female ferals are done as they belonged to my landlord before she moved and left them to roam.
    I did wonder whether it's because he's so close to my partner and my partner is now working so isn't at home so often anymore. He's also taken to sleeping on Holly's bed in the day which is odd because he's disliked her since he was a kitten. I don't think it's due to him not being neutered but I could be wrong. He's my first cat.

#3 Mariealana, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  4. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

And therein lies your problem love!!

Like all males of any species - when they start to get 'horny' their behaviour becomes totally irrational and they start to make really stupid noises & demands!!! If you have got queens in the area who are coming into heat, this will only exacerbate the problem.

Once he has been 'done' you should see him revert back to his old, loving self very quickly.

If your vet is also prepared to do husbands, please do let me know. I asked mine but they were having none of it. Apparently the operating tables were too small!!! :D :D :D

5. Mariealana

Ah that explains the noises. Cool it should stop then when he's done. I'll mention it to the vets anyway.

I keep telling my man that I'm not his personal incubator and I'm gonna pay the vet off to kidnap him and fix him one of these days :D:D

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Look at your un-neutered bloke & then look at your un-neutered cat...

Spot the similar behavioural habits????

It doesn't matter if they are human, cat, dog or donkey - when they get 'that frisky feeling' they are ALL a bl**dy nightmare to live with!!!

In the words of Cynthia Payne "When the b*lls are full, the brain is empty!"

How bloomin' right she was! :D :D

7. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Spot on! When you decribed his "psychotic" episodes, first thing I thought : "unneutered tom-cat". OP, get him fixed, he'll thank you for it (plus it makes them even more loving IMO)

8. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

It's cr@p that you made me sit and think about that :D Because it's so true.

9. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I think having balls vs not having balls makes a bigger difference to their behaviour than you think, especially when they mature sexually! :D

10. Mariealana

Four days to go till he's done. I swear he knows...he's not coming near me and keeps glaring at me.

He is not talking to me like he use to either (yes I said he talks..I'm not odd...honest :tongue_smilie:)

#10 Mariealana, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice