Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just a question about skin cancer...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by fuzzymum, Apr 27, 2011.

1. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

Probably a really blonde question, apologies in advance!!

I'm looking at Maddie showing her tummy off and boy has she tanned in this hot weather. She is a serial sunbather, but I do make her come in out of the sun before she burns her tummy.

Does sunbathing make dogs more prone to skin cancer? Like with people? and where do you get dog sun cream? If there is such a thing. :confused:

xxx

2. rona

rona Guest

I believe it does, it's also down to skin pigment.
    I know in Goldies that those with lighter pigment are more prone to it

3. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

Dogs can suffer from skin cancer although the cause is still unknown. The sun has shown to be a high factor in three (I think!) different types of skin cancers - If you google you should be able to find them three. Some breeds are said to be at higher risk, again I am sure google will be able to list time :)

Light coloured dogs, that spend alot of the time in the sun are at a higher risk of some skin cancers.

we use human kiddies sun cream on our hairless dogs (only them with light pigmentation, the dark skins do not need it!) - factor 50.

4. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

Ah good to know. Maddie has a pink belly (well now it has gone brown) so will be on the lookout for sun cream! xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice