Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

just a little advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by hayleyb, Jul 23, 2009.

1. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

hello everybody, im after abit of advice.

me and my oh have 1 lovely cat called Sheldon. Sheldon doesnt really like my oh as he is more of a dog person. so we have decided we'd like to get a pug.
    we've always liked the breed and looked into and seems like it wud fit our lifestyle.

obviously we wud have to do some hard saving to buy the pug and also afford the vet care. so was jst wondering if anyone has any advice and can anyone give me a rough idea on how much neutering/spaying would cost?

thankyou in advance

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Vet fee's are high, all charge different prices too. Spaying and neutering is quite expensive my vet charges £165 for spaying a bitch and you have to buy a head thing, forgot wht they are called now, it stops the animal from biting the wound, not sure of price on getting boy's bits done.
    If you go onto Kennel Club they give you information on each breed of dog. Also ask questions to breeders of pugs, they will give you alot of information, and tell you more about their habits and health problems etc. Good luck with your search for a pug, and better luck with saving for one too, lololol

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I have no experience with pugs but neutering depends on your vet. I think it's between £60-100 for a male and £100-200 for a female.

I highly advise you to get pet insurance! Will save you so much trouble! Always get lifetime cover though, not annual!

4. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

Congratulations on choosing such a fantastic breed! Your cat will love the pug, mine share their bed with the cat!

Get lifetime insurance, petplan is one of the best at around £25/month. Spaying is £120-200 dependant on your vet.

There are a couple of breeders on here unless you have found one already, keep us updated :p

5. XxNaomixX

XxNaomixX PetForums Junior

Great choice of dog! Sequeena's right is does depend on your vet. I suggest look around till you find a vet that you feel comfortable with. And just make sure your insurace is lifetime. Good luck with saving (a £2 jar and a household swear jar contributed greatly to my pug ;))

6. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

thanx for your help guys.

ive estimated it'll take roughly a year to ensure we're not skintin ourselves each month
    oh smokes atm so tryin to get him to cut down and save that money, fingers crossed this is an insentive.

i dnt have a breeder planned so i will be back on here with moe questions.

i no these is gonna sound fickle but you no wen you buy a piece of furniture and they say you get wat you pay for, is this the same with pups?
    obviously im willin to spend watever i need to to get the best pup, i.e. health wise.

i wudnt be plannin on breedin (leave that to the experts) or showing. would simply be a family pet :D

7. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

8. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

As sequeena and peppapug have rightly said dog insurance is a good option, and their also right to say look out for the lifetime policies, as some insurers policies will have a 12 month limit on paying out for a condition. Obviously this is very annoying and expensive if your pet does happen to get a long term condition :(

Check out the: Compare Pet Insurance(our site) for impartial pet insurance comparison, hopefully it will be of some help if you do choose to get insurance :)

Thanks,
    Viki

9. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

thankyou, i shall have a look.

obviously not in any hurry as we're not very good at saving but wen we go i appreciate you all being here to support us he he.

10. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

11. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

and she deserves it haha.

i dnt think Sheldon will be that accepting but he's gotta learn he's not the only one.
    He's a spoilt little devil. we're be in for it if he was a baby lol

thankyou for your help, youv been brilliant.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice