Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Just a few

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by PeterUK, Jun 30, 2012.

1. PeterUK

PeterUK PetForums Newbie

As i'm new here i though that i would show you my spider shed. :D

I'm not sure exactly how many i have but if you included the slings . . . I would guess around 750-780 in total :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've had a few glass arboreal tanks made a little while ago, the bark tubes was just put in so i could work out if i had to trim them down before landscaping (which i have done yet)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Nagini

Nagini Guest

you have a real nice spider set up though i am not sure i could face going into your shed:eek:

3. PeterUK

PeterUK PetForums Newbie

#3 PeterUK, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  4. Nagini

Nagini Guest

just a little though i am not phobic of them to the point of having a scream or such to that effect:D i do think they are very pretty and i like looking at photos of them just not sure whether i could handle or touch one i probably could its just the thought of actually getting to that stage :eek:
    cockroaches i can stand just about though i wouldnt be too sure about scooping thousands up into my hands , think i could manage one or two:eek:

5. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

What a great set up i have only just started having Tarantulas and they are such interesting things i never realised how many differnt types there were. I really want a Pokie but at the moment havent had enough experience i dont think they must be the most beautiful of all the Ts. Cant wait until i think i can cope with one all mine are the calmer ones.I dont really know anyone near me that i can annoy to get advice face to face i always learn better that way but the internet is brilliant and you tube videos are good to

6. PeterUK

PeterUK PetForums Newbie

If you want a pokie . . get a pokie.

95% of the information written on the internet about tarantulas is 100% rubbish. Most of the caresheets are written by well intentioned newbies, who copy THEIR information from other well intentioned but misinformed newbies who copy their information from other newbies and the circle goes on and on and on and . . . and in the end what started out as one newbies nervous beliefs, is now 100% FACT because its on the internet (so it must be true)
    Pokies are no better or worse than most other arboreal tarantulas. Again it is newbies that are used to very slow species like Chile roses or Brachypelma that are shocked that a spider can actually move faster than a pet rock. Almost all arboreal tarantulas are faster than terrestrials. Compared to Tapinauchenius gigas or Heteroscodra maculata a pokie is like the tortoise to the hare. :eek: As for their so call aggressiveness, another load of twaddle. I've been keeping pokies for many years and have NEVER seen any aggressive behaviour (I have about 60 now, mostly slings and juvies)

ANY tarantula can be kept if the keeper does the research first and treats the tarantula with the respect that it deserves.

7. Melissa27

Melissa27 PetForums Senior

Looks great! I love spiders. :D

If you don't mind me asking, what all species do you keep (if it isn't too long to list :eek:)?

8. PeterUK

PeterUK PetForums Newbie

Yep, it too long to list BUT I found a list that i made a short while ago.
    (I may have sold a few of these but cant remember which ones :huh: )

Phormingochilus everetti
    Poecilotheria metallica
    Poecilotheria ornata
    Poecilotheria pederseni
    Poecilotheria metallica
    Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli
    Poecilotheria subfusca
    Cyriopagopus schioedtei
    Cyriopagopus sp. "Sumatran Tiger"
    Lampropelma sp. "Borneo Black"
    Lampropelma violaceopes
    Haplopelma robustum
    Monocentropus balfouri
    Chilobrachys fimbriatus
    Orphnaecus sp. 'Blue Panay'
    Chilobrachys sp. 'South Vietnam blue'
    Theraposa sp. 'Ebony'
    Eucratoscelus pachypus
    Euathlus sp. "Red"
    Grammostola sp. 'northern gold'
    Grammostola sp. "Maule"
    Grammostola pulcheripes
    Pamphobeteus sp. "platyomma"
    Pamphobeteus antinous
    Ceratogyrus meridionalis
    Phormictopus cancerides
    Phormictopus altichromatus
    Nhandu chromatus
    Ceratogyrus marshalli
    Ceratogyrus darlingi
    Brachypelma klassi
    Brachypelma albopilosum
    Brachypelma vagans
    Brachypelma smithi
    Brachypelma albiceps
    Brachypelma schroederi
    Brachypelma emilia
    Brachypelma auratum
    Acanthoscurria brocklehursti
    Sericopelma sp. 'Santa Catalina'
    Lasiodorides polycuspulatus
    Tapinauchenius gigas
    Avicularia sp 'Guyana'
    Avicularia versicolor
    Psalmopoeus irminia
    Nhandu coloratovillosus
    Lasiodora klugi
    Holothele incei
    Holothele incei 'Gold'
    Cyclosternum fasciatum
    Acanthoscurria Geniculata
    Lasiodora Parahybana
    Pterinochilus murinus

9. Nagini

Nagini Guest

i`d like to hear more about this species , i am currently considering [deep breath] offering one of these a home. have read they aren`t really a `first time spider` i do enjoy throwing myself in at the deep end:D

10. PeterUK

PeterUK PetForums Newbie

Why the deep breath ?

I've got an AF and 2-3 sub adults and never had any problems with them or the many others that I've had over the years. They are a spider that would rather run and hide than do anything else, although if you start to poke and prod one it will rear up and have a go back. Otherwise they are like 99% of other spiders, they just want to be left alone. Once they have made their burrow (if the substrate is deep enough) or webbed over most of the tank decor and have made a home, they will usually (99.9% of the time) either sit at the entrance of their hidey hole or dart back inside. . .End.
    They wont jump out and eat your face or try and nick your TV after mugging the cat. Like I said before most of the info is badly wrong on the internet and any spider can be kept IF you do a little research before you get the spider. . . . . Just dont try and handle it :smilewinkgrin:

They are almost bomb proof. Keep slings slightly damp and juv's and adult dry.
    I dont mist any spiders. I just pour a little water into one corner for slings and a small water bowl for everything else. Feed once a week and its that simple. Anything else and you are over complicating things.

11. Nagini

Nagini Guest

i`ve never had a spider before:D
    thank you for your advice peter it really is appreciated:) the spider is a juvenile of around 6 months [i think] and all being well will be with me tomorrow evening , i`ll try and get some pic`s if at all possible.:)

12. PeterUK

PeterUK PetForums Newbie

I wouldnt take much notice of ages in the world of Tarantulas.
    EVERYTHING depends on the temperature they have been kept at and the amount and type of food they have been given.
    If it was one of mine, at 6 months I would expect it to be at least 3/4 grown and to be around 3-4 inches leg span.
    Let us know how you get on :D

ps. One of the most important pieces of equipment that i use is a cut down 1.5L coke bottle for any wannabe escapee's. Jam a wad of tissue into the cap end to stop the spider wedging itself in.
    Best thing since sliced bread IMHO

[​IMG]

pps. If you are really unsure about moving it, do it either in the bath (plug it first) or in the garden on the grass. ;)

13. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

Thank you Pete UK are any of the pokies easier than others. I am afraid that i am one of the people that have mainly pet rocks but i have got a few Avic as well but only just started with them. One of my fist spiders i got was a tree spider (forgotten name at the moment but on its tub) and it did scare me as it was so fast when i first transfered it but now i hardly see it and it certainly doesnt leap out at me which i must admit i thought it would. I would love a collection like yours i am getting a couple of G. Maule and a G sp North next week and hope to get the P.Scofra and P Parvula and was offered a P SP Tiger rump and P sp North as well and am considering them but will have to make room for them. After that i will get a Pokie i think

14. PeterUK

PeterUK PetForums Newbie

All of the pokies are easy but regalis stands out (to me at least) as one of the hardiest (and cheapest and impressive)

The Grammostola sp. 'Maule' is a nice spider although I've found that my AF is skittish for a grammy. They also like the substrate to be slightly damper than other Grammostola species. I keep mine dry but with a damp section under a section of bark in which she likes to burrow.
    I have 4 Grammostola sp. 'Northern Gold' which I got from a friend who was the first (and only?) person to breed them. I got them as 1cm slings about 15 months ago, they are now around 2 inches and are just starting to get the 'fluffy' look. :cool:

Picture of an adult Grammostola sp' 'Northern gold' taken from 'Thespidershop'

[​IMG]

Euathlus truculentus is another species that is worth getting (i've just mated my female, so fingers crossed)

Another good species is Euathlus sp. 'Red' which is a dwarf species that is a really laid back friendly species.

Picture of my mature male showing his red patch

[​IMG]

15. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

Thank you about the substrate of the Maule i will do the same as you they arrived yesterday and set both sorts up as the other Grammastola so will do a dampish patch.The G Sp North is beautiful and is alot more energetic than the other Gs. I have the E sp red and one is really easy she always comes out when i feed her or whenever i open the tank for any reason i dont usually handle any of them because they make me itch but her and my Brazilian Black and Curly hair i make an exception for if they want to come out(well i think probable excape not wanting to be handled)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice