UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi.... need a bit of your input and thoughts
i am in the throes of designing a webpage
for my Cattery.. i would like to know
what you think of it...
1) what do you think about the way the name looks
2) the Black cat does he/she look nice and cute and friendly
3)what about how the font looks
4) what about the back ground colour
I would love to know any good point and any bad point

Thank you

·
Meeoow!
9,402 Posts
Design is a very personal thing and can be quite contentious, I am a designer by profession and can tell you you will probably ask 10 different people and get 10 differing opinions!!!!!

So for my personal opinion I think it is a little too frilly for a professional business, you need people to take you seriously..... I think the photos and colours are fine but the choice of typeface is a bit off putting, If you want to use the script face for your name then go for it but I would recommend that you change the all other uses to a plain, easier to read, sans serif face

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much.... i did think that the font was a bit hard to read
the other thing i would like to see is the Area and post code on the
home page

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I agree with the others in that it's a little 'frilly' and I'd much prefer a typeface that was easier to read. May I respectfully suggest that you also check the spelling and apostrophe use. I'm probably a little old fashioned but there's little that puts me off using the services of a business more than seeing spelling errors on their web site.

Good luck with your venture :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for your help....gskinner123 thank you
would you be able to help me out with what you feel is wrong
as i am very bad a spelling

Thank you

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Hi.... need a bit of your input and thoughts
i am in the throes of designing a webpage
for my Cattery.. i would like to know
what you think of it...
1) what do you think about the way the name looks
2) the Black cat does he/she look nice and cute and friendly
3)what about how the font looks
4) what about the back ground colour
I would love to know any good point and any bad point

Thank you
Looking forward to seeing the finished product, I agree with the others in regards to font.

As for spelling etc., I spotted the following (I'm an English student so quite pernickity :eek:)

I think 'good food and plenty of love and affection' sounds better (taking the 'it and' out). As oliviarussian has pointed out, single exclamation marks would be more professional, and it should be 'during their stay'.

I would be inclined to put in more punctuation in this sentence, as so:
'If we don't stock the food you use at home, [then] you may provide the food yourself at no extra cost. Our guests are routinely served their breakfast at approximately 8.30am- we serve wet and dry food separately. Their evening meal is routinely served at 4pm; all food bowls are disposable to prevent cross-contamination. (I would maybe embolden or italicise this last point, too, just to emphasise your hygiene procedures).

Finally, you don't need the apostrophes on 'cats' in the information box about vaccinations. Again, I would use more punctuation:

All cats must be fully vaccinated. You must provide a vet's card to confirm this on arrival. Your cats must also be up to date with fleaing and worming treatment.

^^^Short, direct sentences have greater authority.

Hope that helps? Sorry, I'm a bit of an English geek :eek:

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
I worry a little about disposable food bowls - i.e. are they plastic as some cats have an allergy to plastic bowls (and it's not very environmentally friendly either); china or stainless steels bowls that are throughly washed would be my remit.

Also if the client supplies their own food I think you shouldn't be saying 'we won't charge extra' (because if you did it would be appalling) and should be offering a discount on price. I tend to supply my own food (as I feed raw) and if someone charged me extra to feed it I would go elsewhere (and I know you don't but you are making sound like it a favour not to) and I would expect a reduction in rates.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh thank you so much i will put this to the web man to put right
as soon as i can... what about the look of the page a part from the way the tex looks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I worry a little about disposable food bowls - i.e. are they plastic as some cats have an allergy to plastic bowls (and it's not very environmentally friendly either); china or stainless steels bowls that are throughly washed would be my remit.

Also if the client supplies their own food I think you shouldn't be saying 'we won't charge extra' (because if you did it would be appalling) and should be offering a discount on price. I tend to supply my own food (as I feed raw) and if someone charged me extra to feed it I would go elsewhere (and I know you don't but you are making sound like it a favour not to) and I would expect a reduction in rates.
i don’t know where he got the disposable food bowls thing from
we are not open yet... the cattery is still being built...
i don’t think we will be using disposable food bowls
so we won’t need that wording....

yes i agree with you about providing the food yourself
it should read that you are welcome to bring your own food.
I will have to re write it
Thank you

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
how dose this sound now

We understand it is hard parting with a beloved pet even for
Just a few days. We encourage new clients to come and meet
us to discuss your cat's requirements. We offer excellent cat
housing, good food and plenty of love and affection by real cat loving owners and staff.

We are exclusively for cats!

Please bring a familiar item of bedding for your cat during
their stay to encourage them to settle into strange surroundings.

Special diets and other requirements can be catered for
with prior arrangements. If we don't stock the food you use
at home then you may provide the food yourself.
Our guests are served their morning breakfast routinely
8.30am approx, we serve dry food separate to the wet food,
Their evening meal is served routinely at 4pm

G

·
I have a little experience with designing web pages, and for me I feel the menu on the left doesn't stand out enough. When I go to a web page I like my eye to be drawn to where I need to click. Perhaps just making the text slightly bigger or bolder so it doesn't interfere with the rest of the layout, or a change of font.

When I glance at the page the parts that stand out are the phone number, and the "Please note!" message. And whilst very important, I don't think it should be the part that stands out most on the front page. I think the menu should be.

It looks lovely though, and I love the colour scheme.

There's no need for the apostrophe in "yours" in the subtitle :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.