Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Junior class question

Discussion in 'Dog Shows and Events' started by Lisa H, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Lisa H

Lisa H PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, I have a question, if anyone can help me I would be extremely grateful . I’m planning on entering my papillon, Bella, at the three counties champ show in June. I really wanted to put her in Junior and possibly Yearling. However she is 18 months old on the day of the show…typical :rolleyes:

I know the Junior class is 6-18 months. Is she still eligible for that class if she is exactly 18 months on the day?

Thanks for reading!

2. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

This is a question that will always be up for debate :rolleyes: and opinions seem to differ between secretaries.

I've been here a number of times - I entered my girl into the Junior class - she was 1 on that day, and I was invited to challenge for Best Puppy - at 18 months I put her only in Yearling - her litter sister was in Junior - and similarly last year I put my girl in Graduate (she was 1 on the day) and again was invited to challenge for Best puppy.

If she is still under 18 months on the first day of the show then she will be eligible for Junior.

I would suggest entering online, it will automatically give you the correct class options ;)

3. Lisa H

Lisa H PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply, Swarthy. I think I'll enter online! The toy day is the first day and its such a pain that she is exactly 18 months on the day.
    Thanks again!

4. I love springers

I love springers PetForums Senior

I entered my girl in blackpool champ show last year...Same as you she was 18mths old on the first day of the show so she just made it even though we did not show until the second day...

It goes on their age on the first day of the show..

But like swarthy said if you enter on line it lets you know which classes you can do....Good luck and have fun....

5. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Most definitely.

Just a little reminder for anyone who isn't aware -

If you enter a class for which your dog is no longer eligible - you will be moved to the Open Class - at Open level this is probably not a major issue, but at CH level it's a much bigger step

As I understand it,. if you don't do the Open class, you are classed as "withrawing from competition" - so even if you for example won the Yearling class, you couldn't then compete in the CC / BOB Challenge if you do not go into the Open Class.

6. I love springers

I love springers PetForums Senior

Which is why it is best to just do one breed class

7. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

:confused: Why? it depends on your reasons for entering - to avoid being moved up to the Open class, you just ensure you are eligible for the class(es) you are entering.

If a judge doesn't like a dog as much in a second class - then it's opinion isn't going to change by the time it gets to the challenge - similarly - if a judge particularly likes a dog, then a second class can re-enforce it - I seldom withdraw from AV classes if we get BOB in the breed classes on the basis if the judge likes my dog in the AV classes, then we have a greater chance in the Group / BIS line ups - and it's paid off on more than one occasion ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice