Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

jumping

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MissusMayhem, Apr 27, 2011.

1. MissusMayhem

MissusMayhem PetForums VIP

i need some advice guys ....
    to the best of my ability ive tried....
    odin will not jump at me or hubby when we come home from shopping or work etc.... he gets himself all excited tail wagging running up and down the hall but rarely jumps ...
    visitors ... first thing he does, paws on chest now hes a bloody big lad recently weighed at 39.3KG
    it needs to stop .... but how?!?
    any advice would be muchly appreciated

2. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Hi, I had some success with this method.

You need to keep Odins lead by the door and when someone arrives, put his lead on and keep him close to you til he settles down completely. Then, and only then, can he say hello to the visitors. If he gets excited and tries to jump up, move him away until he calms down again. You must also tell your visitors to ignore him if he jumps up at them, turn away from him etc. Just keep repeating the process til he gets the idea, he's a GSD so it shouldn't take too long.

Goodluck and keep us informed of his progress.

3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I think a great deal relies on how your visitors treat him. Rupert got better here but hugely worse quite quickly. Turns out my uncle was coming to let him out every day when I was away and he just lets Rupert jump at him and gives him cuddles and fuss when he does it, so now we are back to square one. That uncle just will not ignore him until he's on the floor the dots don't seem to connect in his head and we can't stop him coming round so I've just accepted we're buggered on the jumping up front.

Visitors need to turn away and 100% ignore him, not push him away and touch him or keep a hand on him to keep him away, just totally ignore him if he's hassling them. Only then will he get the idea in his head I think.

4. MissusMayhem

by the looks of things i need to be stronger willed with my family and friends rather thn my boy :D

5. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I had exactly the same problem- when Moll was a pup, I told everyone to ignore her until she calmed down, but no they couldn't. Now shes bigger they certainly dont like it when she jumps up.

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Exactly that...loads of my work colleagues encourage Kilo to jump up, I absolutely cannot stand it when I am trying to train him. Alongside the details I have to have on my door as part of bringing him to work I also have;

1. Do not greet Kilo until all 4 paws are on the floor.
    2. Do not tease Kilo.
    3. Do not feed Kilo.

They all say I'm mean!!:rolleyes:

7. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

If he won't do it to you or your husband then it's your guests that need training not the dog ;)

When we get visitors, lets say OH's parents, the dogs will jump up on them because they always put on the playful voice and encourage the excitement, so I now have to put the dogs out the kitchen with baby gate closed until they have settled. OTOH, when my parents come, the dogs don't jump up, they bark, have a sniff and are excited but will not jump up because my parents ignore them until they are quiet.

8. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

same here, No jumping at me or hubby...but any new guest always jumping..... we tell everyone that comes ...PLEEAASEEE ignore the dog..... we are trying to train him.....

how hard is it? Just pretend they are not there...... most guests tell me I am a meanie, and I should let him be a puppy! oh ok then..... wait till he is massive and dirty and you pop round in your nice white summer dress...... then we will see who is mean :D

we now put him on lead when people arrive......

the worst guests are the ones that encourage mouthing by wiggling their hands about...... and teasing!!!!!! or wiggling their fingers by the open mouth while saying no! for goodness sake! :rolleyes::

9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

99% of them men, I reckon!!:rolleyes:.

10. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

yep i agree, we work so hard on our dogs behaviour and its the visitors who ruin it! agree with other replies-you (and the rest of us) have to be firm with guests and tell them - please dont encourage jumping by petting and giving attention when they are standing on 2 legs, ignore them and then when settled you can call dog over to you for some petting -on your terms.
    worst visitors are the ones who arent comfortable with dog (my MIL!) who just comes in and shrieks to get dog away-which always hypes her up even more!!!

11. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

You could try teaching an incompatible behaviour such as a sit.

If your dog learns it gets rewarded for sitting and ignored for jumping when there are visitors it will soon choose to sit and a dog that's in a sit can't jump up!

As an alternative to sit you could use "go to your mat" or "fetch a toy" although it is still possible to jump with a toy!

12. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Tell all your guest to walk past him arms folded with back to him until he sits down. then when he has pet him!

13. MissusMayhem

i tried this ....
    but by default i decided people coming over is more exciting than an offlead walk ....
    if i shout Odin sit across the feild he will sit
    if i ask him for a sit when people come in the house he blanks me! :) naughty heh?

#13 MissusMayhem, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  14. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! :D and its so annoying!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice