Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jumping Up

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Happy Paws2, May 21, 2010.

1. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We are having trouble with Dillon, when we take him out for a walk he keeps jumping up us trying to bit our cloths, well he has ripped two coats already. He just will not walk he thinks it's a game the more we say No the worse he gets.

We get him to sit and calm down but as soon as we start walking again he starts jumping up again, we also have tried turning round and walking the other way but it makes no difference.

It's just like taking a Jumping Jack for a walk.

2. borderer

borderer Guest

take a rolled up newspaper with you every time he jumps up wack him with newspaper it does not hurt but will stop him jumping up. no doubt people on here will have other ideas but this works:thumbup:

3. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Bella was a nightmare with jumping and ripped loads of clothes and was scratching people.
    i took advice from a trainer who told me to squirt her in the face with water each time she jumped as well as saying 'NO!'
    Within a couple of days she had stopped! I was amazed.
    I was worried she would be afraid of water after being squirted with it but she still loves it!
    Each dog is different though.
    Good luck :)

4. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

this is a joke, right?

The spraying water in teh face one is commonly suggested and although she hasn't developed a negative association to water we do't know what other things a dog may assoicated with the arrival of aversives.

5. borderer

borderer Guest

if you say so cant argue with the experts:thumbup:

6. leashedForLife

if WE are taking him for a walk, ;) then there are TWO humans - and One Dog.

use 2 leashes - walk him ==between== the 2 of U, with a slightly-loose leash on each side; he CANNOT jump-on anyone,
    if U handle him appropriately from both sides.

handler-Left ----------- Dog -------------- handler-Right

i would USE * SIX-FOOT * LEASHES - not! those @!#$&*! Flexis or any other extendable :thumbdown:
    extendable leashes suck - they both TEACH + REWARD pulling.

calmatives are also helpful -
    i would give them approx 15-mins before U clip the leash on, to depart.
    Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - dog body-language - and why it matters so much...
    his **excitement!** is part of what makes him jump-up; calmatives reduce the mania. ;)

retraining jumping-up as a behavior:
    YouTube - #1 Layla - modifying 'dog jumping up' behavior-session #1 of 6
    this is Session #1 of SIX - there is homework under each video, on the DROP-down notes.

happy B-Mod! :thumbup:
    --- terry

7. leashedForLife

BTW - i notice that Dillon is a Briard and about 35# now - How old is he?
    how much aerobic exercise does he get, every day?

not just time loose in the garden to potty, and then lie-about or bark at the neighbors + cars -
    i mean RUNNING time, on or off leash?

hes a herding-breed with high needs -- intense physical activity, mental stim, and things to CHASE are necessary to him;
    all the training in the world will not avail, if he is under-exercised.

>> If<< he can play appropriately - not all herding-types can!! -- another dog can help with off-leash play,
    inside a fenced area for safety, so neither of them takes off after a jogger, another dog, etc.

herding breeds tend to play best with other herders or their mixes - a BC-X, a GSD, ___ .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice