Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

jumping up to kitchen counter tops

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by samph73, Sep 6, 2013.

1. samph73

samph73 PetForums Newbie

hi has anyone got any tips on how to stop our basset cross stop jumping up and taking things from the kitchen worktops ? thanks

2. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Don't leave things on the work top :hand:

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

supervise them when you are there, don't leave anything out or shut the kitchen door.
    My Bichon Frise managed to get up on the kitchen counter tops to find food when we were out - she's only 14inches tall :eek: we now leave no food out anywhere in the house as she can get on the dinning table and sideboard - she seems to be some sort of ninja dog as we often can't work out how she does it :eek:

4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

Oh yes, easily sorted.
    Don`t leave food on kitchen worktops. :)
    And don`t have the dog in the kitchen when you`re preparing food.

5. stranger23

stranger23 PetForums Senior

My dobey does this to, like this morning she is shut in the kitchen so the kids can eat breakfast in the living room in peace, my partner was making his lunch looked away for a split second when a child spoke to him looked back and 3 slices of bread and the ham was gone :eek::eek:

We cant have her anywhere else in the morning as she steals food from the kids hands if given a chance and cant have the kids in the kichen as the puppy needs to be in there so all the dogs have to be in there.

Hoping when the puppy has had her shots i can wear them all out with a walk after the school run, currently tho its play time as the puppy has already been shut in the crate over night given a toilet break then back in the crate for the school run :/

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Don't leave FOOD on the worktop, but if you leave other stuff along them, pans that will make a loud clatter when knocked off, he won't have clear space to jump onto, and if he does, he'll get a shock that would make him think twice about doing it again.

But a Bassett cross that can jump onto a worktop? I'm impressed!

7. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Oh you will be surprised at just how many dogs don't care for clattering of pots and pans when food is involved!!

To break the habit you don't want scent of food or visual cues that equal food left about so a clear work top is best :)

8. samph73

samph73 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your replays but he doesn't jump up onto the side just at it I don't leave food out its just frustrating someone did suggest olbus oil to stop him as he won't like the smell ??

9. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

How long has it been going on??

Usually if keep the work tops clean they will learn there is nothing to be gained by jumping up.

My boy really did leap up onto the surfaces and I tried everything to stop him. In the end I just waited it out and very rarely does it now.

You can try olbus oil, perfumes, bitter apple etc. and see if you get anywhere with it?

I know it sounds horrible but I even put chillies on a piece of bread and lathered the work top with bitter apple... Just two minutes later the bread was gone :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice