Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jumping up problems

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by pearltheplank, Nov 7, 2012.

1. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

I am having awful problems with my boy jumping up and wanting to play. He is just turned one . He launches at people in the house to try and get them to play but he is super rough. I don't encourage this but so far my efforts to stop him haven't worked

I have tried turning my back but he will jump at your back. Tried ignoring, putting in other room to calm down. If you physically push him off then this seems to excite him more

Any tips or ideas?

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Have a look here for some ideas, the you tube article is excellent.

http://www.cleverdogcompany.com/tl_files/factsheets/Jumping up.pdf
    Preventing Jumping on Strangers | Karen Pryor Clicker Training
    ClickerSolutions Training Treasures -- Quick Fix for a Jumping Dog

Four Feet on the Floor: Jumping Up Behaviour in Dogs and Puppies - YouTube

Does your dog jump all over people when he meets them? Are your friends reluctant to visit? Do you wish that your dog would be calm and polite when people arrive?
    Just imagine that you can take your dog to the pub, or to visit in someone else’s home and he will settle down quietly while you chat with friends. With Sarah’s methods, your dog can become a model citizen with this easy-to-follow training session.
    Including:
    • Why dogs jump up at some people and not at others
    • Strategies to enlist your family and friends to help with your dog’s training
    • One easy rule to prevent jumping up
    • How to teach your dog to settle calmly no matter what else is going on
    Teaching your dog to be calm and sensible when visitors arrive is on the wish list of many dog owners, and it’s simple to achieve with Sarah’s advice and practical strategies.
    The pack contains: A clicker, tab handle, training manual, instructional DVD: 55 mins approx running time including Bonus trick, Bonus Training Session, Intro to Clicker Training, Q & A with Sarah.

Dogtrain.co.uk

3. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

We've had this problem with our rescue boy Jackson. It's taken a while but now we ask for a sit and then he gets a tug toy to play with - a few seconds with us and then he just trots about with it. Down side - the house is littered with tug toys in every room!! If you are going to turn your back the behaviour may get worse before it gets better as he has probably got some sort of attention ( good or bad they don't seem to mind) from it in the past. It's quite difficult to "be a tree" when being leapt on and getting what may be painful attention from your dog. This is why we changed to using the sit command and play as a reward.

4. Achoo

Achoo PetForums Newbie

Invite him to jump at you.

When he does, pull your knee up to your chest.

He will bounce off your knee (harmlessly I may add)

When this happens he will most often than not out of confusion sit down. This is the perfect time to praise him, tell him good boy.

If done properly your dog will not jump up after 2-3 times.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice