Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

jumping out of cars....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nicki85, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

I always used to let my dogs jump in and out of the car by them selves. However, since Rusty has been receiving physio for a un-car-related shoulder injury I haven't let either jump out. The physio person made it very clear that jumping out of the car was one of those things you should never let them do- muscles not warmed up, over excited dogs +all their weight on their front shoulders= shoulder injuries. Mine only weigh 20kg each so not an issue with picking them up and lowering them down :)

So, do you let your dogs jump out of the boot of your car?

2. MrsGiggles

MrsGiggles PetForums Senior

I've bought a car ramp for bernie (Newfie) but when I told the breeder she said I shouldn't have bothered,still going to use it though

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I do because there is only Pen I can lift properly. The boys are too heavy and I've banged their heads into doors a few times before now when having to carry them :eek:

I always make them wait though, unless we get a lift from Leanne as she has cages. Even then they are to wait until their leads are put on. But if we go in another friends car where they are on the back seat they are to wait whilst they have leads on and whilst my friend changes boots etc. Then they come out on their names. At least that way it's controlled jumping out not just a free for all.

4. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Millie jumps in / out herself.

She goes on the back seat and we have a normal height car Ie not a 4X4.

She is 19Kg.

5. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

That's what my breeder said to me to when I got Maggie (bernese). I was going to buy one but they said it was over kill. I am now paranoid that I should have... It's a low door though, so it's not quite the same as jumping into a high boot.

6. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Yes I do but I've trained them only to go in and out on my say so. I make sure they are calm & come out slowly and ill hold their harness or collar to support them :)

I mostly walk but I drive to the woods and sometime ill park up in the field if I'm having a bad day and can't walk too far!

Do what makes you comfortable :)

Next time, watch her get in and out! If she is gentle without to much pressure on her joints she will be ok, otherwise you can look into ramps or maybe a step/stool? :)

#6 sezeelson, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  7. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

Mylo goes on my back seat so he gets in and out himself in his own time and no jumping involved.

Zab goes in boot and he is lifted in and out, he's 25kg at the moment so I can lift him up easily and i'll continue to lift him in/out if he doesn't get too heavy.

8. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Yes, Spen jumps out of the boot of the car and I'm afraid he will continue to do so. He jumps off the bed too which is only a few inches lower.

9. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I have a box that halves the distance that Alfie and any oldies I walk have to either jump up or down :D
    It makes like a single large step.

Muddy has a ramp but Alfie wouldn't use one, even immediately after his operation on a low doorstep. :confused:

10. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I do have a ramp - Blue needs one because of his HD so seeing as I have to set it up for him, it's just as easy to have them all use it, but otherwise I doubt I'd use one to be honest - and if I haven't got Blue with me, I don't bother setting the ramp up at all.

Our car is a 4x4 so it's a fair jump, but we have a picnic table in the garden which the dogs use to lounge all over, and they jump on/off that far more than they jump in/out of the car, and it's about the same height.

#10 SixStar, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  11. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

They both jump in the boot by themselves without any problems in the cars, if they're going in the Land Rover I let them put their front feet up then give their back end a boost. They can both still jump straight in but it's a long way!

Scooter jumps out but I take most of his weight by holding his harness, seems to help him land a bit lighter. He's 30kg and I'm quite petite so neither him nor I are confident about lifting him out! Breeze doesn't mind either way whether she jumps (with a harness grab) or is lifted.
    Again the Landy is the exception and they both get lifted out.

12. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Jumps in, lifted out.

13. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Opposite here:). Lifted in, jumps out

14. Tyton

Tyton PetForums VIP

Tyton jumps in and out on command - at 10 stone we couldn't lift him. The pups at six months ( and nearly 30kg) each put their front feet up on the bumper then get a boost to get in. My OH still lifts them out, we call each by name so they go in and out in a controlled manner not a free for all.mI'm a bit worried ; about the pups joints if they jump but about hubby's back if he keeps lifting them!

Hopefully all will be solved on Friday when we pick up our new van. It's a lot lower than the boot of the car and comes with electric steps to make it even easier for them :)

15. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Pippa jumps in and out, Molly is lifted.

Pippa has done so since 6 months. She was hip/elbow scored at 1 year 4 months - 4/4 and 0 (0/0).

16. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

No, this sort of damage is cumulative

jumping in/out of cars

on/off sofas etc

Repetitive concussion can e easily avoided

17. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

I can't get my two to jump in so I have to lift them:rolleyes:

They do jump out though but I always make sure they do it in a calm manner.

18. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I let mine jump in when they're big enough, but not out. We have a Land Rover and for me its too high, I don't like all that weight landing on their elbows. I lift them out, while my back still allows LOL

19. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

I've always let mine jump out previously without issue but having spent (well, insurance has spent) over £350 on physio i'm keen to avoid any further aggravation to his injury or to cause anything in my youngster. Neither are allowed up stairs or on beds and the sofa is very low (and very very old).

Rusty has good joints and had the physios in awe of his extreme flexibility- if anything he is verging on hyper-mobility, which also isn't a good thing. His shoulder injury is due to nerve damage resulting in the loss of one of his shoulder muscles. The other muscles are starting to compensate really well now though.

I'd always think that cold muscles being asked to do some sort of short/extreme movement would be more at risk of damage though. I no nothing about muscles though so will take any advice from experts... although I hope to take a canine massage course at some point for my two.

They both get to do fitpaws a few times a week as well- much to most peoples amusement!

20. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I used to lift mine in and out - but they won't wait to go back in as I lift one the other 2 jump in themselves ;) getting out they are better at waiting their turn.

At 3.5kg, 7kg and 8kg they jump in and out themselves - we have a reasonably low boot, but even then it's a big jump for little ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice