Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

jumping on furniture

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Deb, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

my dog (18mth) has never been allowed on the furniture but for the last couple of weeks has taken to climbing up on the sofa and chairs. If i leave the room for a few minutes i come back to find her curled up on the sofa. If i am in the room i can sometimes tell when she is going to do it and say no - she will then pause for a short while until she thinks i have forgotton before she jumps up!! when i tell her to get down she ignores me and if i try to pull her down she twists around so i have to literally carry her off or she will bite. not sure why this has started to happen but i dont want it to continue. any thoughts?? Deb

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

She is pushing her boundaries and testing you! Just being a naughty teenager!

You need to take her back to basics on this, and train her all over again not to go on the furniture.

Does she have her own bed in the room? Make it comfy and inviting and when she goes to get on the furniture direct her to her bed with a toy.
    If she gets on the furniture firmly tell her to get off, and if she ignores you then try leaving a light lead on her and pull her off while repeating the command.

If she obeys you and stops before jumping up, reward her. If she ignores you and jumps up anyway try removing her from the room for a timeout?

My Dixie is naughty like that you tell her no and she waits until she thinks you arent apying attention and does it anyway! She hates being sent out the room when we are all in here so she gets put out for a few minutes and when she comes back in, she behaves again!

3. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Comfy sofa is way too tempting to resist!! And then when your back is turned she is right up there settling in - prob cos you tell her off. Telling off generally doesn't teach exactly what we think it does - dogs are masters at learning through association and all she is learning is that the sofa is not safe when you are around.
    So, its more valuable to teach her what you want her to do and make that extra rewarding - there are too many things that you don't want her to do to go through them all :D

Teach her to go to her mat by shaping so it seems all her own idea;)! Here's a link with a shaping plan and some clips: Calming Exercises for Cerrrraaaazzzzzy Canines: settle & mat work « pawsitive dogs

Teach her to get on and off the sofa on cue. Pat the sofa and invite her up ("up" or something). No treat for this as its a reward in itself.
    Immediatley (before she gets comfy) say "off" or whatever and toss a really yummy treat onto the floor. Repeat.

As she improves and begins to predict proceedings, allow her to spend a few seconds on the sofa before the 'off' routine. The longer she spends on the sofa the harder it is to get her off so build the time she spends on the sofa gradually.

Between this and matwork she will soon not look to get on the sofa and even if she does or you decide to let her you can ask her off totally non-confrontationally.

During training, manage the situation so as to keep her successful by confining her from the sofa if you are not there. If there is a mistake use it is an opportunity to practice 'off'.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice