Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jumping dog and toddlers - help!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lizzystar, Aug 13, 2009.

1. lizzystar

lizzystar PetForums Newbie

hello, hope you can offer me some advice

We got ourselves an 8 month old Staffie bitch from a foster home on a trial last night. Shes great once shes got over the initial jumping which we are discouraging and settles down.

I've got a 1 and 3 year old and she just wants to constantly jump up at them, lick and she is also 'mouthing' them but showing no sign of actually biting - it appears to be over excitidness, i am putting her in kitchen behind a stair gate when shes getting too excited.

What is the best way to deal with this as i'd like to give her the best chance to stay with us but now think we might need an older calmer dog!

She is also coming into her first season which i don't think is helping her temperament.

Please help!!

Liz

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Our Lakeland wants to be just like that around visitors and my g/children, what i do is let him out of kitchen on his lead,let him say hello ,but not jump up,after awhile put back in kitchen which has stairgate on it,i dont let children go up to stairgate as it gets him too excited,after about 10 mins i bring him back in room on lead ,say hello again then sit on sofa with him on lead,he soon calms down and ignores them,i know for you it will be different as you have children all the time,my g/children often stay with me for few days and i just do the above and he calms down,but i never leave him alone with them as i know hes a jumper and kisser !!! and my g/children are to young to deal with this
    Good luck hope all works out ok

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sounds like she hasnt learnt bite inhibition.

You need to start with basic training. Getting her to sit when people enter the house and room. Make sure that people dont fuss her until she is calm, and ignore her when she is OTT.

With your kids, you need to make sure they dont scream or screech as this will only excite her, and make her do it all the more.

This article may help with her mouthing

Dont forget to NEVER leave her alone with your children, even for a few minutes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice