Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

july 2008: Univ of Penna survey: Most-Likely breeds to bite...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by leashedForLife, May 31, 2010.

1. leashedForLife

Top Biting Dog Breeds

over 6k dog-owners and dog-owning families were surveyed to ascertain which breeds showed the greatest likelihood to bite -
    rather unsurprisingly (speaking as a trainer), the Doxie came in first. :p ... as the breed most likely to bite strangers and family members - followed closely by the Chi, JRT, Aus Cattle-Dog, Am. Cocker, and Beagle.

other breeds in the survey were more-likely to bite or nip other animals - rather than humans - including the Akita and APBT.

2. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

Wow, I am amazed dachs come first :eek: I grew up with them all my life and only remember my little brother being nipped once (by a very elderly dachs, think he must have been about 14 by then) and he had been annoying him a lot

3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

TBH I'm not surprised- I've met a few dachshunds & they've all been unfriendly & snappy

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'm not surprised actually :)

5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I read this in a paper a while back. I have met a few nasty daxies, but a few nice ones too, as with every breed. I suppose small dogs are seen as cute if they yap or snap, but obviously not with bigger dogs.

6. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

thats such a shame, we had a total of six over the years and also a litter of pups too and all were such frindly dogs...bloomin noisy but friendly ;)

we never had minis though they were standards and most were wire hairs I wonder if there is any difference in temprament with the size and coats?

7. leashedForLife

maybe UK-Doxies are more laid-back? :huh: but their terrierrist roots are all too evident, on this side of the pond...
    posties are terrified of Doxies, with good reason, as many postal-stats show them to be not only likely to bite, but with force.
    they are turfy dogs, too, which the regular (and unavoidable) agitation of a mail-delivery 6 days a week, exacerbates. :nonod:

cheers,
    --- terry

8. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

I dont know, like I say ours were noisy when post came and the door went but I cant remember them biting ever. :confused:

9. leashedForLife

i don;t know about size-differences, hun -
    i have been told (and my experiences tally with this, by and large) that smooths are the snappiest + most-reactive,
    long-hairs are the mildest of the 3 coat-types, and wire-hairs tend to be the closest to working-temp + hunters -
    not as snappy as smooths, nor as (sometimes) shy + freaky long-hairs, who can carry a heritable shy-factor.

cheers,
    --- terry

10. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

In the area where I live, I've not met one nice chi. They've all been vicious towards Oscar and he's a very friendly dog, not big and intimidating either, he's a toy poodle!

11. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

hmm I would say that would ring true with ours, certainly not shy or timid in any way, but not snappy either, the smoothy boy used to be very protective of my mum, used to bark like mad when out walking at people coming toward us :rolleyes: the wires just tended to want to nosey at people, we had one who loved to dissapear down rabbit holes and hunt and the other was just too stoopid :lol: just a soppy dope

12. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

sorry, hope I haven't offended you, I'm sure there are some lovely ones too, my housemistress at boarding school had one & he was a total sociopath:scared:

13. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

not in the slightest my dear! :) I just found it a shame that people had such bad experiences with them because I had such lovely childhood memories, I wonder how much it has to do with environment too, ours were country dogs and out and about a lot, and in the fields

14. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Doesn't really surprise me without training dacshunds can be nasty, yes I know so can any dog, but they're very terrier like from the ones I've met. Have to admit though the first daschunds I met were mother and daughter the daughter was 6 weeks old I sat down on the floor and she crawled up on my lap and didn't move. Sweet thing. I notice a lot of them are more fiesty breeds and small too so some people think it's cute when they're aggressive whereas in a rottie they would be put down

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice