Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Jug puppy biting!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Damo16, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Damo16

Damo16 PetForums Newbie

Hi all :)

Hoping I can get some advice or help.

We have recently got a Jug puppy (half Pug, half Jack Russell).

He's 11 weeks old and he is constantly biting everything. Even when you go to give him a pet or a rub he is biting your hand and fingers. When you lift him up to give him a cuddles he's biting our arms, elbows, hand anything he sees he biting. I know he's probably teething still at such a young age, but is it normal that he's doing it soon much.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get him to stop or help with stopping him.

When he does it we tap his nose to let him know it's bold, but even when we do this he thinks were playing and lifts his paws to hit us back lol.

Any advice or help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

Yep, perfectly normal behaviour - puppies bite.

Rather than tapping him on the nose try redirecting him onto a toy and he will slowly get the idea it's ok to bite toys but not peoples.

If you are holding him when he does it, just put him straight back down- he will figure out that if he bites he doesn't get cuddles.

Gentle re-enforcement will be much better for puppy than tapping his tender little nose.

3. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Sounds normal, my hands, nose, feet and ears had long fine scabs on from Puppy biting LOL. Don't tap him on the nose though, you could end up making him aggressive or all sorts of other problems, do as Darkangelwitch says. The good news is it doesn't last forever, our Jack Russell stopped as soon as he lost his baby teeth.

4. Damo16

Damo16 PetForums Newbie

Yeah that makes more sense. It's our first puppy so we're newbies to all this but we did expect him to bite a bit.

I've bought him teething toys but he ignores them and won't bite them. Instead he bits his bed and pillows and softer things.

Didn't realise that tapping his nose could make him aggressive so will stop that right away.

Thanks for the help!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Another thing to consider is that he might be biting because he doesnt like being picked up/cuddled/restrained.

Not all dogs do.

Katalyst and MiffyMoo like this.
  6. Damo16

Damo16 PetForums Newbie

Even when we're sitting on the couch and he's on the ground, he's biting our feet, toes, shoes and his favourite thing is shoelaces. He loves the little plastic end bits on them.

He'll play with your shoes when they're toes until he gets your laces open then he tries to take you shoe into his bed.

7. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Puppies bite, Dillon was a master at it, but us screaming when he did bite and ignoring him after did help.

Try ripping some old tea towels into strips tie a knot in them and freeze them and give him them to bite.

8. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Yep its what puppies do - they explore everything with their mouths and think its great fun. As others have already said redirect him on to something else such as a tug toy or a soft fleece type of toy, have some strategically placed around the house so you can grab one quick. If that doesn't work then remove yourself from him for a short time so that he learns biting means humans go away. If he starts up as soon as you go back in then go out again. Some people just turn their back and stand still but I found with my last rottie pup that she would jump up or chew on my ankles like a lion at feeding time :eek: so I gave her time out until she had calmed down. Also make sure pup isn't getting over tired as they can become more bitey shark faced when they need a nap so if you are using a pen or a crate it might be time to put pup in with sometime nice to chew on and let him go to sleep.

We need to see some photos of this little fella please.

9. steveshanks

Yep all perfectly normal :), things he may also do, pull socks off your feet, steal 5, 10 and twenty pound notes out your pocket, play tuggy with your undercrackers if he gets in the loo with you, steal your food from your plate, you have to learn to laugh at it all, and think how fit you'll be chasing a puppy for your socks. You will also be very careful not to have an accident as you wouldn't want to go to hospital with holy bloomers LOL

10. steveshanks

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

What sort of teething toys? I've got a 4 month old puppy who is teething like mad at the moment so I have several Kongs which I fill with her softened kibble mixed with a bit of grated cheese. I then stick them in the freezer. A Kong keeps her occupied for quite some time.

12. Ashleigh Kay -ox

Ashleigh Kay -ox PetForums Newbie

I have the same problem my jug is 6 months old now and still doing it :(

13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

How have you been addressing it? The advice in this thread is helpful, have you tried these things?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice