Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

JSA help =s

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LeoKeeper, Jul 21, 2009.

1. LeoKeeper

LeoKeeper PetForums Junior

So

I signed onto Job Seekers Allowance yesterday online.....I put it of for THREE YEARS.....

I left school with no education because a teacher came into my first exam and accused me of telling other kids to skip school (clearly they had told him I had this wasnt true) being my typical stupid self I got up told him to **** of and fine a new scape goat and left =\

So..

18 >.< NO EDUCATION at all my CV is bare assumed I would get work in a factory or something no luck :\ ALWAYS said I would never become one of them lazy teens who lived of everyone else >.<

and here I am? I feel so pathetic

But well the help I need is

I am a bit nervous about the pending call from them :s that they are going to quiz what the hell I've been doing for three years...why I havent got GCSE's why I have no work or have had no work (work experince aside) and then tell me to go to hell and get of my ass before expecting them to give me a few £ a week :\ but I've reached the point living at home where if I don't PAY SOMETHING I could be homeless in a few months :s me and my mum dont have much of a friendship...

So...are they really like that @ phone call? What should I expect?

2. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

They will question you as to why you haven't claimed sooner. All that means is they won't back date the claim to when you left school.

All the call will be about is the information they need from you to process your claim, name, birthdays NI number etc. You will then be given an appointment at your local Job Centre to sign on. It's there that they will ask about quailifications and what work you're looking for. Then they will try to help you out the best way they can, either help with courses or interviews.

However I will warn you that there is a huge backlog for JSA due to many people losing their jobs. There is a 6-10 week wait before any benefit is paid to you.

My husband signed on 30th June after being made redundant. He has now been working for two weeks and we still haven't received his JSA entitlement. Thank god housing and council tax benefit were more on the ball.

3. Oblada

Oblada Guest

What are you applying for? I am assuming you are referring to JSA-income based and not contribution based!
    JSA-income based is based on your means and what is available for you to live on.
    They will probably quizz you as to what you lived on for the last 3 years if you did not work, study nor claimed benefits and they may use that as an excuse to delay your claim.
    Eventually they should still allow you to claim if you meet the criteria (not enough money to live on and available for work and looking for work).
    Contact your local CAB for more definite advice and information.

If I were you I would seriously consider getting some education - there are grants available for that, various courses you can do in various ways and location - it is really worth having a look into all that (again have a chat at the CAB they can help you with that).

xx

4. LeoKeeper

Well I've been keept by my mum for three years...

Yeah I did attend college but education always was well I left college assuming I could get work factory work or shop work...or something you know them..no experince needed kinda jobs :p............

I've been stupid...but I didnt claim because I didnt want the stigma attached to being in my age group and living on Job Seekers Allowance...

I have contacted a college the local one about two part time courses...more CV building than anything...

I guess now I am more worried there going to suggest I don't need JSA because I am keept by my mum? But understandly by her..shes as good as forced me onto it..so do you think with that in mind they will decline?

5. SeaThreePeeO

Shop work is a vicious cycle of experience needed. My husband was a manager of a store before being made redundant. He had five years experience in store management and even then he found it extremely hard to gain employment because he apparently didn't have enough experience.

Have you thought of volunteering in a local charity shop? If you work under 16 hours a week you can still claim JSA, but you will be gaining the experience you need to fill your CV :D

6. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

If you attend a full time college course you will probably be entitled to EMA which is paid directly to the student in their bank account. Depending on your household income you could get up to £30 a week. My two teenagers who are both at college get EMA.:)

7. LeoKeeper

Not sure about a charity shop.....not to sound picky but I live in chavil..and I would never live it down =\ but that's a good idea....maybe I can do like handing things out asking for donations etc charity kinda work?

Will look into it

Dead nervous about this phone call now XD

Can See it now

Them: Hi Mr Jones?
    Me: Speaking..
    Them: So you're that little twit whos been out of education out of work and lived at home for three years can I ask you some questions so I can remind you how pathetic you are and how little you deserve this D: and try and bribe you into being a human sheild for the military tanks
    Me:....Tanks aye? INTERESTING.

8. SeaThreePeeO

We all make mistakes in life. At the very least you have realised this and you're now facing up to it when you could have continued to live the way you have been doing.

Any type of volunteer work would look good on your CV

9. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Im 18 and have been on job seekers for about 3 months, been unemployed since leaving school 2 years ago. I got quite good GCSE's but that hasn't helped me.
    Its all about experience, i have none in retail, so they don't wanna employ me.
    I would much rather have a job than be on job seekers anyday, i just need a chance.

10. LeoKeeper

Well thanks for all your help guys and girls =\...and understanding....I will keep you all updated :p..not that its the hilight of your week ;o

11. Oblada

Oblada Guest

If you attend a full-time course you will not be entitled to JSA-income based.
    You can always volunteerm there is no real limit on the number of hours as long as you continue to satisfy the conditions for JSA (available to work full-time at short notice basically)

It is quite likely that your mother income will be taken into account when deciding whether or not you are entitled to JSA - simply because you are living with her.
    I am assuming you are 18 years old or more - I just want to point out that you would not have been entitled to JSA between the age of 15 and 18 unless you were estranged from your parents - thats basically because during that time your parents are suppose to take care of you and for that they get benefits like child benefit and child tax credit.

The job center will query about qualifications but the idea is not to judge you but to ascertain whether you are really looking for work and what can be done in terms of qualification to help you there - you will need to go along with some suggestions relating to courses etc to continue being entitled to JSA (to show you are looking for work and doing all you can to be "employable")

12. SeaThreePeeO

CreativeLC my husband only got the job he's on now because when they said they didn't think he had the experience needs he asked them how he was supposed to gain such experience if no one gave him the chance to experience it. Try that next time, after all you've nothing to lose ;)

CreativeLC likes this.
  13. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

I never even get an interview so expressing my opinion to employers is almost impossible. I've only ever had 2 interviews and they were my first so didn't go very well. Im really stuck now.

14. SeaThreePeeO

We applied for maybe 30 odd jobs and DH only had 2 interviews. He got a load of letters either saying he didn't have the experience needed or was over qualified.

I guess you just have to keep at it and keep positive.

Good luck xxx

15. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Most of the jobs i have applied for i have never got a reply back. I do try to stay positive but its hard when you keep getting knocked back.
    Thanks

16. SeaThreePeeO

Yes, we got a few e-mails thanking us for the application and if we hear nothing in 3 weeks time we have been unsuccessful.

If you take the time to apply for the job the least they can do is send a thanks but no thanks letter. Bit rude. Also the people who said they would phone such and such a day to let us know either way and then never phoned :(

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'm sorry but beggars can't be choosers. I was in your position (except I did GCSEs and went to college). I couldn't get into Uni and found it hard to get a job. I volunteered in my local cancer research UK shop. I live on an estate and who cares if anyone says anything? At least you're making changes in your life.

It also helps if you know someone who works somewhere. They can put a good word in for you. That's how I got my old job in Morrisons.

Volunteering is amazing for your CV. You gain lots of experience; time keeping, problem solving, till work, stock rotation, customer service etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice