Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jrt

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bradsa, Jun 24, 2009.

1. bradsa

bradsa PetForums Newbie

hi all

I currently own a lurcher boy 6 yrs very very lazy:rolleyes:Me and the OH are considering adopting another dog to keep him company - I think he would benifit loads having someone to play with and run about with etc - when I can get him off the sofa he loves going for a run with me and our long walks through the feilds and forrest by me. We have come accross a 4yr old JRT x staff bitch who is house trained good with kids non destructive and good with other dogs She sounds great! thing is I don't know a lot about the breed and have only ever had sight hounds (would love another grey or lurcher but couldn't fit two in the car!:mad:) I have read up on the breed and by the looks of things these little guys enjoy a good run and lots of excercise but they can be dominant and demanding - untill the two dogs meet etc we can't move forward but I wondered if any body can advise me a bit on the breed - are they good company dogs? are they as dominant and testing as these web pages make out? over all what are your thoughts as a JRT owner? the big question is, is owning two dogs more hard work than one:confused::confused: let me know what you think folks

Thanks Brad

2. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I have a staffie x jrt and a full jrt...both are amazing dogs!! The staffy cross is loving, sweet and kind...he does have a silly side with other dogs sometimes (not aggressive but very in their face so causes upset!) but my JRT is wonderful!! He's a very quiet little dog, perfectly happy to spend his days upside down asleep on the sofa..but if a walk is on the cards he's happy to join in!!

Why not go the rescue route then you can get a dog that is slightly older, has been assessed by the rescue and with the added benefit you can do a couple of trail walks to see how they get on?

Oh and if 2 dogs are harder than 1?? Couldn't tell you cos I have 5 (well 8 at the moment with 3 fosters) so 2 to me is most certainly no work!!!:D;)

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Where abouts do you live?

Do you know anyone who owns terriers that would let you meet up with them and see how their dogs are?

4. rona

rona Guest

JRT's are wonderful if you are cut out to deal with them, they are full on characters with the emphasis on full on :D
    If you can deal with a dog that behaves like a naughty child but with bags of go and full of fun. Go for it:)

5. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Oh just to add, if you do prefer to buy my JRT came from a local breeder, he was her stud dog and she decided to rehome him via our rescue and I kept him because he was so wonderful!!:D But she does still have his father and all her dogs have turned out to be quiet and loving little dogs, she's very well known for breeding gentle quiet JRT's! So if you are interested I'll happily give you her number. She's based in North Wales.

6. bradsa

bradsa PetForums Newbie

Five dogs!!! mental! :eek:She is coming from a rescue home so I have been speaking with the fosterer and she really does sound great - will be a slow proccess as I'm prob being to cautious - I just want to make sure if we go ahead both dogs will be happy we're due to meet tomorrow for the first time so I will keep you all posted. your JRT sounds like my Sid a great couch potato! wish I could do the same!!! thanks

7. bradsa

bradsa PetForums Newbie

I live in abersychan south wales - only small place

I don't which is why I thought I would post on here get a bit of adivse:idea:

8. bradsa

bradsa PetForums Newbie

Thank you I really apperciate everyones help and input - I wouldn't get a pup at the mo as I know they need a lot of time and care that I wouldn't be able to provide (working for a living is pain lol) thank you tho

9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Oh no I'm more than happy to hear you are getting a rescue!! All mine are rescues and they are the bestest dogs around!! I've promised myself my next one will be a lurcher...I want at least 1 dog that will be lazy!!! Mind you knowing my luck I'll end up with the most hyperactive lurcher in the world!! Even my 15 year old dog demands 2 long off lead walks a day!!!:eek:ut:

10. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

FYI this is my staffie x JRT ..more staffie than JRT but he's honestly the most loving dog you'll meet!!! I could have rehomed him 100 times (but won't cos he's mine all mine!!)

[​IMG]

11. bradsa

bradsa PetForums Newbie

lol you sure do have your hands full!

I'd recomend a lurcher or rescued grey to anyone they are brilliant so loving and the pleasure i have had from them over the years has been great - I am looking forward to trying my hand with a JRT tho - they sound like great little characters:p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice