Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

JRT questions!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Stephiib14, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Stephiib14

Stephiib14 PetForums Junior

Who here owns one? And are they really as vocal/"yappy" as their reputation would have one believe?
    I have two chihuahuas and although they seem to have a rep as yappy dogs, my boys don't seem to be?

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Generally they only yap when there is something to yap at. If you don't have people constantly going past, a dog living next door, a squirrel in your garden or another excitable playmate, then you'll probably have a quiet JRT
    . But then you'll have a pretty bored JRT............;) (JOKE)

Honestly, it depends on the individual dog and all the above temptations :D

Jason25, Mum2Heidi and margy like this.
  3. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

I have found them a mixed bag to be honest (we have had several in our family over the years) , some are yappier than others. My dog has a lot of JRT in her and rarely barks (she makes up for it by being a massive PITA in other ways ) but I've known some really vocal ones. Training obviously plays a part aswell. They generally aren't the easiest of dogs to train as often have a high prey drive and despite their size definitely aren't handbag dogs! Mine can run for longer than my mums collies and still have energy to spare.
    Never a dull moment with a terrier about though, I love them..so much so we are picking up a new JRT pup this week!

Mum2Heidi and rona like this.
  4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I have a JRT he barks at everything but he is so much fun :)

margy, rona and Mum2Heidi like this.
  5. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

I used to have three JRT's all at the same time - called them the "Jack Stars" once they got going, although their harmonising needed some work to ever make BGT!

I only have one remaining now, he has his moments, but thankfully I live in a quiet cul de sac. On a busy street he would be yapping away.

Fabulous, funny, and energetic little dogs. :)

margy and rona like this.
  6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Heidi is JR x Westie. Hardly ever barks which is lovely but although that paints a very rosy picture, she’s an absolute pocket rocket and an ongoing battle of wits(which I love)

rona and LotsaDots like this.
  7. M1JWR

M1JWR PetForums Junior

They have minds of their own, always ready to pull the wool over your eyes 2 parson jacks in the last 15 years or so, the old dog (jack) for 14 and a bit, and now tim recently from a rescue, they are totally different but look a lot alike, jack was dominant, tim not so much, jack wasent as friendly as tim, when jack played ball he diddent play fair and would kill the ball, tim would bring it back and drop it for you to throw again, when on walks jack would come to lead and off we would go and then he would go after any piece of s*it he could get, tim not really interested in walks at all, jack only was a occasional barker, tim standard prt/jrt barks at every oppotunity, jack plenty of prey drive, dosent appear so far tim has any at all, jack slept or diddent care about the tv, tim would attack it etc, so the moral is two dogs of the same type and totally different, having said all that its still early days with tim and i dont know his history, he is still in dock at the moment and will be for another couple of weeks anyway after his altercation with the tv, see thread boistrous.
    generally as is said above they are little buggers and lots of fun and a challenge for anybody, you will deffo have a fun and interesting times with a russell whatever veriety.

8. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

Mine was a yapper :rolleyes: loved the small furries lol.

Anything that moved in the garden = yaps

Cat in the street = yaps

drive past a rabbit at 100 yards = yaps

Walk past a rabbit at 100 yards = yaps

see a bird in a treee = yaps

See a squirrel = yaps

you get the picture :D

the only thing that didn’t set her off was people (even walking past the house)

she had a high prey drive, but she was such an awesome dog lol.

LotsaDots, LinznMilly, margy and 2 others like this.
  9. margy

margy PetForums VIP

My JRT Belle didn't bark when she was outdoors but if anyone came to the house she would bark for the first 30mins, then lie down but always kept an eye on them. There was another round of barking when they got ready to leave. Always a character with her funny little ways, and loved being outdoors. She loved being with her family. Never a dull moment with Jack's.

niamh123, LinznMilly and Kaily like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice