Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Joint support

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Amy Craine, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Amy Craine

Amy Craine PetForums Newbie

Hi! Looking for a little advice about joint supplements for my Border Collie (male, neutered, somewhere between 8 and 10 y/o)
    He has been reluctant to walk recently and a little stiff in the back end. Vet currently has him on painkillers (Onsoir). Going forward I would like to add some sort of joint supplement to his diet as well as adding extra oily fish to his diet.
    I was looking at a combination of golden paste and green lipped mussel powder. Would this be appropriate rather than a 'complete' type supplement like Yumove?
    Any help appreciated!

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Personally, I'd dispense with the notion of joint supplements and contact your vet about adding in more painkillers tbh.

I think once a dog shows signs of discomfort or pain, supplements aren't that effective. My dog is on Onsior, but he's also on paracetamol, gabapentin and amantadine.

Happy Paws2, Lurcherlad, rona and 2 others like this.
  3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

4. Amy Craine

Thanks Leanne. Due to the lockdown he hasn't been properly seen by a vet, just via video call. There seems to be some evidence for GLM possibly helping so think I will add some of that along with oily fish in his diet until he is able to be properly assessed by the vet. I am a member of CAM on Facebook - lots of reading to do!

Leanne77 likes this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I used Yumove containing GLM for one of my dogs; she was already stiff and the vet prescribed Metacam but that just gave her colitis. The Yumove made a real difference to mobility, endurance and general well-being.

Amy Craine and Pandora-B like this.
  6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Another vote for Yumove
    Definitely worth trying.
    Heidi has an ongoing soft tissue injury when she was 8. Yumove and rest got her through it.
    Because of her age and activity levels I kept her on a joint supplement but changed to Jointsure. Same ingredients, cheaper and works just as well if not better (It has slightly more green lipped mussel)

Amy Craine and Pandora-B like this.
  7. Amy Craine

Thanks folks. Just found a 2 week Yumove trial for 5 pounds so will start with that and see how he gets on. Also looking into acupuncture for when lockdown is over.

8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I have a bioflow magnetic collar for my dog too. I don't know how effective it is, but some humans swear by them for how they have helped.

Amy Craine likes this.
  9. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Just started my dog on Riaflex

Amy Craine likes this.
  10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I got a magnetic collar for Kite and a bracelet for me - no effect on either of us.

Mum2Heidi and Amy Craine like this.
  11. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Yes, they seem to either work brilliantly or not at all. I don't know if it helps or not but at least it can't do any harm and I thought it was worth a shot.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Magnets, copper, hematite did nothing for me but 20 years ago I did a bit of research and put magnets under my old collies blanket. It definitely helped her. Chiselling off the ceramic from old fridge magnets was far cheaper than bioflow which hadn’t been going long at the time. I remember it was about getting the polarity right by placing them up the right way.
    Bioflow were made locally at the time. I remember their attitude was dire when I popped in for info with a view to buy. Gave me determination to improvise.

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My bank account was somewhat bruised!

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice