Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

joint aid?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ty-bo, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Hello again,

before we adopted Ty he had a broken leg it is well healed now and causes him no grief but I want to start giving him some sort of supplement to help delay the onset of arthritis as he gets older. I know about glucosamine but am unsure of the best brand/quantities to use (he is 17.5 kg)

Appologies again if this is another obvious subject but as mentioned he is our first dog and we want the best for him :)

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

My Labxgsd (who had to be put to sleep on may bank holiday aged 14. :( ) had OCD as a 9month old pup and went to the animal health trust in newmarket for his surgeries on both shoulders, i too was warned that he would probably have arthritis in his mid-years. We put him on glucosamine and chondroitin combined tablet and cod liver oil one a day capsules. We always bought human ones as they are much cheaper than animal ones, we bought them from a company called Simply Supplements online.

Like i say he lived a very long and rewarding life and had no problems with arthritis until he was about 12, then he carried on with those tablets but also had meloxidyl from the vets.

Hope this helps.

3. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Very sorry to hear about your dog :( but gad he had a good life

Thanks for the advice, I shall have google the company :)

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I use Seraquin for my dog.

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

My girl Indie had to have a couple of operations to repair her knee, she's on glucosamine and chondroitin, one or two tablets a week (Tesco's own) in her food.

I wouldn't give cod liver oil tablets or capsules, a better way to give fish oil is just by giving them a tin of mackerel/sardine fillets in tomato sauce or oil each week. Mine also get a bit of apple cider vinegar put in their blended veggie mix when I make a batch up, which is good for joints.

6. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Why not cod liver oil capsules?? What is wrong with them, they are a natural anti-inflammatory!!

Very sorry to hear about your dog but gad he had a good life

Thank you for your kind words!

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Because they contain a high level of vitamin A, which in large amounts isn't good for dogs (or humans for that matter).

8. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Mavis has a luxating patella(think thats how it's spelt!!!) and i give her a human glucosamine everyday and an evening primrose oil capsule also, hoping that this will help her when she gets older against arthritis

julie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice