Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Joining a Cat Club

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by EdSkylover, May 25, 2013.

1. EdSkylover

EdSkylover PetForums Junior

Hi there, I've been interested in Norwegian Forest cats for a long time and this year, because my moggy died, I decided I'd like to get one. In the end I contacted the RSPCA and got 2 NFCs through them, 2 brothers. I've literally fallen in love with the breed and I've been doing a lot of research on the internet about breeding, thinking that may be something I'd like to get into. I've seen some breeders from Sweden online who have some stunning cats and was thinking of importing a Queen from there in a year or so, when my boys are a bit bigger. They're not registered due to being rescue kittens so I'm getting them both neutered.

From the looks of it getting into breeding is a scary prospect, it just looks complicated and a bit daunting as I don't want to tread on anyone's toes. I was going to join the Norwegian Forest Cat Club and have printed off an application which is ready to be sent away. I sent an email to the chair of the club saying I was planning to send an application and she said she 'looks forward to seeing my application which will be placed before the committee'. I'm just worried they're going to turn me down from joining, does this happen very often? :( Are there any special requirements for joining such a club?

I am completely dedicaated to the cause of furthering the beautiful characteristics of the NFO and I think this year has started a wonderful relationship between me and the breed. I'm at work at the moment, but I'll upload some photos of my boys when I'm on my laptop :D

Sorry for the long post, I hope you'll be able to give me some guidance, I feel a bit lost and have the feeling of trepidation at the moment. :(

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Welcome to PF :)
    We have several members with Wedgies here and I'm sure they would be willing to give you some help and guidance about joining the NFC club.
    I know with my own breed, Siamese, most clubs need you to have other members to propose and second them which I have always thought as a little sad if you don't happen to know any other members in the first place :(
    I am sure it doesn't happen often that applicants are turned down though and I wish you the very best of luck with your chosen breed of cat.
    Look forward to seeing the photos of your boys :yesnod:

3. Notnowbernard

Notnowbernard PetForums Senior

Most clubs will be happy for you to phone and chat to them. I'm sure that a letter of recommendation from your vet will suffice if you don't know any members. Most clubs will also be glad of the support.

4. EdSkylover

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what I can find out :D I'm really excited! :)

5. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

What country are you in? I am pretty sure that to just to join the UK one, you send the subscription and fill in the form. If you want to register a breeder prefix you have to be an ordinary member for 12 months first so maybe that is where the committee comes in.

I would recommend joining the club and going to some shows/meeting some NFCs and their people for the intervening period. Even if not pedigree you could show your existing boys as "Household pets" which would let you know whether you liked it or not.

Looking forward to meeting your boys through cyberspace soon.

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It's nearly always best to show before breeding, and getting some practise looking after a cat with kittens is useful as well. The later is usually easy - ring round your local rescues and see who has a female in late pregnancy they want fostering. She will have to be kept completely separate from your boys in a room of her own and do make it clear if she has any signs of a respiratory infection it's a no go - you can't risk spreading it to your own cats.

For showing start by going to shows in your area and meeting the breeders there. Most people love to talk about their cats even if it's to say they were robbed!

The GCCF has a list of shows, so do TICA and FB (FIFE in the UK). However you will probably see far more Maine Coons than NFCs unless you can get to a breed club show or are in an area where there are a lot of active NFC breeders.

the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy
    Show Diary for TICA cat shows in the UK
    Felis Britannica - Show dates | Felis Britannica

Homepage of the Norwegian Forest Cat Club UK (GCCF)
    About the Viking Cat Club (FB)

7. EdSkylover

Thanks guys, your help is massively appreciated. :)

OrientalSlave - If I did take on a pregnant cat would I have to keep her? And would I be in charge of finding new homes for the kittens? I can see this would be a massive step in the right direction to get some experience so I know what I'm doing when I do end up breeding.

I can't wait to find out more and I've already planned to build a massive cat run for my garden, it's going to be epic! :D

OS - Much appreciated that you provided those links, very kind of you to take the time to help me. Loving the forum :D

8. EdSkylover

Here are my boys :D Loki seems to have a dirty nose in the photo, I've tried scrubbing it but it doesn't seem to be going away, does anyone have any suggestions or shall I keep trying? Hope you like my boys :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Fostering means just that. You would help immensely by looking after the cat and her babies for a rescue centre. They usually provide the food litter etc for you, and then they rehome mum and kittens when they are ready to leave mum :)

I have found that ringing the club you want to join and having a chat over the phone helps. The person I spoke to said she would recommend me as I didnt know anyone to recommend me.

Hope that helps :)

I love NFCs too, they have such great characters - 2 of mine are NFC crosses, but are much more NFC orientated (mum) than Ragdoll orientated (dad).

Welcome to the MadHouse :D

ETA: Oh wow - your boys are absolutely gorgeous :001_wub:

#9 MCWillow, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  10. EdSkylover

Aw thanks :D I took them for their first round of vaccinations on Friday and they weigh 0.66 and 0.74kg each at 9 weeks old. I understand this is underweight? I'm guessing they should be around 1.1kg at 9 weeks, so I'm trying to feed them up a bit.

Do they look like full breed NFCs? As I'm not sure of the parentage I can't be sure...

11. munchkinpie

munchkinpie PetForums VIP

What kind of club are you interested in breed specific or local. If one day you hope to breed then breed specific would be a great place to meet lovers of your breed and help you choose you breeding lines. A local club would also benefit you as support would be close by. Many clubs require at least a years membership before registering as a breeder, you may also find it difficult to get a breeder to give you an active cat with little experience of the breed. I think it would be good for you to visit a few shows and perhaps think about showing before breeding. This will gain trust of other breeders and help you learn about the breed and what to look for in a cat. I know not all breeders show but I would strongly recommend visiting one.

12. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

What are they eating at the moment?

If you are brave, raw feeding really gets them into great condition. And wet food really is much better than dry food :yesnod:

As for full breed - I honestly couldnt tell you, I dont know enough about them. In my sig my 2 NFC crosses are the black and white (Rowan) and the brown tabby (Holly).

Jenny armour and cats galore (if I remember rightly) both have NFCs so hopefully they could tell you if they look full breed or not :)

13. EdSkylover

I was hoping to join the Norwegian Forest Cat Club. I've already ordered a book from them and I've printed off my application, I'm just going to phone them up first and have a chat :)

I wouldn't have a clue where to start with raw food, I'm a bit worried, I feel like I'd poison them if I gave them raw food :S I know there are guides in the forum, perhaps I should have a look - it all looks a little intimidating. They're currently being fed Whiskas wet food, which I was shocked to find out only has 4% meat in it! I'm only feeding them that because that's what they were on before they came to me, I'm going to get them off it but I made the mistake of ordering Almo Natural reading that it contains a much higher percentage of meat but then I read about it being 'complimentary' which is a term I hadn't heard of before so back to the drawing board and I've got 'Grau' kitten meat on order. Phew. Sorry for the long paragraph.

The boys look like full NFOs to me, having become obsessive over the breed recently, constantly on P4H and reading about them, and observing the differnces between the NFOs and MCs I definitely think they look like full breed cats but then I am no expert ;)

I'm gonna put some show dates in my calendar :D Your X breeds look very much like NFOs to me also, MCWillow. Should I give the cats some mince beef and see if they like it?

14. Jonescat

They are sweeties. Can you take a pic of their profiles?

15. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Thats how I started mine - just tried them on some mince from the supermarket to see how they took to it.

They are on Natural Instinct at the moment, which is complete, but three of them have decided they dont like it, so I am taking tentative steps into making my own :eek:

Grau is a really good food for them, I have some tins of Bozita if you want to try them on that - not sure where you are?

Mine wont eat any decent wet food - all they will eat is Gormet Perle :rolleyes:

Luckily they do eat raw (except Willow, my silver tabby MC) - fussy little sods they are!

16. EdSkylover

What does that mean? Sorry, I know that sounds stupid, I am new to this. But yes, I am completely open to taking more photos :D

MC - I live in Norwich :) I'll head to the supermarket tomorrow and get some beef mince then, that should be alright shouldn't it :)

I wanted to get Bozita too but I read on Zooplus it only has 4% meat in it but that surely can't be right as so many people on here recommend it...? I'm so jealous of your silver tabby MC, I really want a silver tabby NFO, preferably mackerel or blotched :)

17. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Willow is mackerel tabby - but like you, not totally sure if she is 100% MC - I usally call her my Mainly Coon ;)

My two peds are Cedar and Blossom (cream tabby & colourpoint in my sig) - they are 100% RagaMuffin :D

Any mince from the supermarket is fine for them, the more flavours they like the better :D

I tried mine on beef, lamb, pork and turkey mince - and also chunks of lamb, beef, chicken, turkey and pork. Today they had ox tongue for the first time, and thats gone down very well with them too :D

Just be aware, as its not complete, it should only be 20% of their diet if you decide to make it a regular thing for them :)

18. Jonescat

Wegies have a really distinctive shape if you look at their heads from the side. So you have to get someone/thing to distract them from looking at you while you take the photo. It's a good game but us Wegies lovers really love the profile! It's like the one on the NFCC website.

19. EdSkylover

Oh yes, of course! Sorry, dense moment! I will take some for you tomorrow, no problem!

MC - Your Mainly Coon looks lovely :p Looks like I'm gonna have to get a selection of meats for my babies to try then. Won't it upset their stomach if they're not sticking to the same thing? I will let you know how I get on, I'll get some mince to start with tomorrow :D

20. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Just try them on a little bit at first to make sure it dosnt affect them.

TBH, I have never had any problems with any raw I have introduced - only had runny tummies with canned or pouched food.

Blossom loves Gourmet - but it doesnt like her! And she's only ever got it by being sneaky - I try to keep her away from it!

But yes, always best to introduce new foods slowly to try and avoid dire-rear!

And Willow says thank you - she was my first baby, and is very special - even if she is my Snobby-Cat :lol:

Of course all five have their own reasons to be very special to me :001_wub: (I'm a soppy moo ;) )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice