UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone could help me.
I started insurance on the 25/10/2012 for pet insurance but today I noticed £42.10 has been taken out of my account when it is supposed to be £21.00 per month?
Due to me starting towards the end of last month did they make me pay for that entire month including this one? :thumbdown: so I've paid two months worth but in reality I've only been covered 16 days? I assumed I would only be charged per month aka every 30 days not calendar.

Was it really dumb of me to have started a claim towards the end of a month? I don't know If i'm just being thick here, I can't think straight today, have I messed up somewhere..

·
Registered
192 Posts
I hope this isn't right because mine started on 26th Oct for my dog and cat which is going to be £39 per month so I certainly don't want to pay £78!!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to me when I took mine out with JL, they took two DD payments a couple of weeks after I started the insurance. I rang them up and was told the first payment is normally taken after 10 days, which should have been 5th August but they actually took it on the 10th, and that as I'd indicated the DD was to be taken on the 1st of the month then they'd also taken the second one on the same date.

I said I hadn't noticed on the online application that you could nominate your DD date so I opted to change it for a time in the month when I had more money in the bank, which she did for me there and then.

My policy runs from 26th July 2012 for 12 months so will be renewed 26 July 2013. July and August payments were taken on 10th August, the third one was scheduled for 26th September and then 26th of every month until the 12th one to be taken on 26th June, that one covering me up until the renewal date in July. So you do only pay 12 instalments. I think the default setting on the application form for DDs is the 1st and it's up to the applicant to change it - that's what I missed and how I had two taken together.

I was sent a schedule of payments and dates through the post as I had changed the date of the DD.

They were very helpful on the phone.

If you have one of their RSA policies I found a freephone number - 0800 316 5900 - which you could ring to clarify your payments. If your policy number doesn't begin with RSA I think it's a different phone number.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ugh not feeling very well tonight so my brain is a bit fried so excuse my tardiness, so this October 2012 was included as one of the 12 months even though it was only 6 days? but I'm covered right up to that date 25th Oct in 2013 I'm just confused as to why then two payments have gone already. Or is the payment for October this year be counted for the one next year or something?
What have I actually paid for, they won't continue as two payments per month will they? I've emailed them about it anyway.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Ugh not feeling very well tonight so my brain is a bit fried so excuse my tardiness, so this October 2012 was included as one of the 12 months even though it was only 6 days? but I'm covered right up to that date 25th Oct in 2013 I'm just confused as to why then two payments have gone already. Or is the payment for October this year be counted for the one next year or something?
What have I actually paid for, they won't continue as two payments per month will they? I've emailed them about it anyway.
You will pay 12 payments and you will be covered for 12 months from 25 October 2012 until your renewal on 25 October 2013.

Your first payment will cover you from 25 October to 25 November so a full month, not 6 days. Second payment 25 November to 25 December, and so on until 12th payment will be from 25 September 2013 to 25 October 2013.

If your DD was taken today, that's roughly about what I was told - it takes approx 10 days or so to organise the first payment.

Did you stipulate a date for your DD or did you leave it at the default setting of 1st of the month on the online application form? If you left it at the 1st, they will have done the same as they did with me. So the two payments taken will cover 25 October-25 November and 25 November-25 December. Your next (third) payment will probably be taken in January on the date you stipulated on your application or, if you didn't change it then probably the 1st. They wont continue to take two months payments per month.

Did you choose the date you want the DD to leave your account, if so what date did you choose? Or did you leave it at the default? If you prefer a specific date, tell them and they will change it. If, to straighten it out in your own mind, you would rather pay on the 25th so that you know you have had your full month's worth of insurance, then change it to that date. It doesn't really make any difference. You are insured for the full 12 months from 25 October 2012 until the renewal date of 25 October 2013 and you will only pay 12 instalments.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh right okay i see now, thankyou for that.

I'm not sure if I chose a date or saw one I just assumed it would be the one on which the day I started the insurance, so I suppose its set to whatever the default is.
The date that it was taken isn't too much of a problem, the just not knowing why two payments had been taken confused me! wasn't sure if I had somehow duplicated my claim or something.

thankyou for your help X

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Oh right okay i see now, thankyou for that.

I'm not sure if I chose a date or saw one I just assumed it would be the one on which the day I started the insurance, so I suppose its set to whatever the default is.
The date that it was taken isn't too much of a problem, the just not knowing why two payments had been taken confused me! wasn't sure if I had somehow duplicated my claim or something.

thankyou for your help X
You're welcome. It confused me too. Being on a fixed income I panicked when I saw two payments had been taken the first month, that's why I phoned straight away to sort it out.

I hadn't noticed on the online application form that you could actually stipulate a date for your DD to be taken, like you I assumed it would be taken on the day of the month you started your policy.

As you've emailed, you'll probably get a reply explaining it all along with a schedule of payments for the rest of the insurance period. Also worth keeping a check on your bank statement though, just to make sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.