Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

John Burns Kibble

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by James Hollingsworth, Mar 6, 2021.

1. James Hollingsworth

James Hollingsworth PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    I have a 7 month old cairn/yorkshire terrier cross. She was on the John Burns smaller kibble puppy food, having converted to that from the bag of pedigree that the breeder gave to us. She ate it very enthusiastically for quite some time and has slowly gone off it and has now completely stopped. I tried to move her onto their larger kibble puppy food (lamb and rice) from her previous smaller chicken and rice but this didn't work and so I am left with a bag of that now. We even tried mixing it with some plain bolognese sauce (no onions, garlic or salt) but she won't eat that. She will eat the bolognese sauce on its own though. I don't want to keep buying different bags of kibble. Anyone else had a similar problem with John Burns? If so, did you find a brand that your dog would it? Thanks.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

With such a small dog, have you considered a good quality wet food?

Burns is VERY rice heavy, which might be why its unappealing. Will she eat it if you soak it in a little warm water?

You could always mix a bit of wet in with the dry.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  3. James Hollingsworth

4. James Hollingsworth

Thank you. We have tried pedigree chum because we had a can available but no luck, also tried mixing with human food. Which wet food might you recommend and what good kibble has minimum rice content. I have noticed she doesn't like rice much so that might be a factor.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I rate Forthglade and Harringtons (they do small dog packages too) quite highly.

You could try this to sort through foods https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

Also bear in mind many companies will do samples if you contact them.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Butchers do quite a good range of wet food these days. Easy to get hold of.

7. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

We settled (and my dog is fussy!) on zooplus cans Lukullus and wolf of wilderness junior. He doesn't like pate style like forthglade. He did love lily's kitchen and edgard and Cooper which sadly are a bit too pricey to feed exclusively x

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My dogs have burns alert, they also have wet food but I leave the burns down all the time and they seem to love it.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Burns is only slightly higher in carbs than many other foods.
    The only different between burns and other foods is the absolute pure honesty of the percentage of dry weight ingredients.

Whilst I would love to see slightly higher percentage of protein Burns did used to show good digestability a claim which they had data for when no other company had.

@James Hollingsworth are any teeth retained? How often does your dog get extras/treats? It might not be he doesn't like the food per se, it might be he would rather it the treats etc. No treats just use the kibble for training and see how you go.

Retained teeth might becoming loose, or getting ready to come out. You might not be able to feel it. He might but I would still try the trick or try above.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Years ago my friend fed Burns to all her dogs. Always called it a “very pure food”. I never knew what she meant. She must have been on the same wavelength ;)

lullabydream likes this.
  11. lullabydream

It's got minimum ingredients.. Label most people can read too. I mean one could argue do we need things like yucca extract so stools don't smell bad?!?! I don't think anything in food is a filler if the body can utilise it, which when it comes to cats that people class as fillers they can be utilised so no not really. Higher protein food, a dog can only process so much so the counter argument if there was one, would be using these large amounts of protein can be classed as protein as most dogs will not, and aren't able to utilise them as there is simply too much. So in laymens terms, it's expensive waste out of your dogs behind.

niamh123 and Mum2Heidi like this.
  12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Makes perfect sense and again, the food is only good if it suits your dog. Many find Burns successful over kibbles with almost identical analysis. A bit like good old Chappie. Only downside - it’s renowned for keeping dogs slim which is sometimes an advantage. My friend swore by it and nature diet for many years.

13. lullabydream

I used Burns to manage my dogs liver condition. She would lose wait to be skeletal. Strange thing is, I could get weight on her with slightly more, but not a lot though

As you say though different foods suit different dogs. I would say the same about MWH that it keeps dog lean. There's ample discussion been had here about it, and 2 have 5 dogs that lost weight feeding how they suggested, then they suggested because they lost weight to feed above recommended. Nah for me, am not feeding a food that isn't going to be cost effective I don't like their marketing as it is.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  14. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

MWH isn’t a food I’ve considered and my knowledge is limited but I get your point. Eden came along around the same time, my son started using it, suits Heidi so he orders in bulk for his 2 +1 :D

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice