Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jobless 'To Be Forced To Work' For Benefits

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Colliebarmy, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

About time too

Two years is plenty to find a job

They should also deny immigrants (legal or not) benefits till they have held a PAYE job for 12 months, I believe Spain operates that system

Jobless 'To Be Forced To Work' For Benefits

2. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Read this very interesting statement on FB today, really made me think, interesting reading I think, just thought it was relevant to your post..

" Apparently the problem isn't the £70bn that multi-national companies have avoided in tax, or the £48bn spent on the war in Iraq, or the £14bn spent on the war in Afghanistan, or the £3bn spent on helping Libya rid themselves of a dictator, or the £648m paid in MPs expenses last year, or the £548m spent last year deporting illegal asylum seekers, or the £50m a day we give to Europe, or the £933m spent accommodating prisoners most of whom are foreign, or the £269m in legal aid so these people can have the best defence our money can buy. Apparently the problem is the £70 a week jobseekers allowance and people living in a house with more bedrooms than they need. Well I never, who would of thought it?"

suzy93074, Spellweaver and IrishEyes like this.
  3. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Scum of the earth right there...

4. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

It all comes back to the same old story..."Go get a job"...."OK...but where's the job?"

Those responsible for the destruction of our manufacturing industries have a lot to answer for.
    Many of our industries were inefficient in the seventies and eighties...instead of letting them close by the hundred, politicians should have encouraged them with subsidies to become viable.
    Billions were available to bail out the banks...pity that billions weren't available to modernise our shipyards,steel,and car industries.

cinnamontoast likes this.
  5. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Rep for poohdog. Coming from up north, when visiting, the parents took my OH on a tour of Blythe power station etc and the amount of businesses that have closed and totally decimated areas up there is appalling. The only remaining memory of my grandad is his photo in the rehearsal room for his colliery brass band in Beamish. :( The port where Dad was Customs is now virtually defunct, the steel industry in Consett is dead :(

6. Robnsacha

Robnsacha Guest

I am on the work programme now and would be happy to work for my benefits. I recently did 4 weeks mandatory work in a local charity shop as part of my work programme which is the same as what is proposed here. I actually spent most of my time decorating thier new cafe next door. Think i had to do 35 hours a week if i remember rightly. (but i did more than that) my issue is i did an honest days graft and i dont think its wrong to expect an honest days pay at the end of it. And no one can tell me around £14 is an honest day pay.

7. tillysdream

tillysdream Banned

Don't you realise, if they make jobseekers work for their benefits, there will be less jobs for everyone else on the job market. And employers won't employ people on full pay, they will just take all the poor JSA people (who the government will give £71 per week to).

This is basically a step back in time to slaverly, and a two tier wage system.

As Meezey's brilliant post points out, the people barely existing on £71 per week are NOT the problem. ;)

Can't you see the downside to all this? :confused:

Fantastic post! The government has used the divide and conquer tactic on us working class, they have set us against each other.

....While the REAL criminals (big business and the rich) get away a REAL crime. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer under a Conservative government!!

#7 tillysdream, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    noushka05 and Spellweaver like this.
  8. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

Iv always said they should do this!!

I was on benefits briefly about a year ago, and I would gladly have done some work to earn it!!

9. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

To qualify for JSA you have to actively look for a job and attend interviews, and be able to prove it.

So where exactly are you going to find the time to do this if you are working full time for NO money?

Who is going to take on new employees, even at minimum wage, when they can get slave labour they don't need to pay at all?

See any flaws in this brilliant plan yet?

#9 MCWillow, Sep 27, 2013
  10. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

If only it were so simple.

The reality is that the job climate is sh*t so unfortunately it can take that long to secure work. You have hundreds of people applying for every role and a much older population who are still in work and can't afford to retire. Combined with a massive general population and way too many people going to Uni to do pointless degrees it isn't surprising unemployment is what it is.

11. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Now you know where your taxi jobs went. Why pay you £10 ph when they will do it for much less.

12. ItsonlyChris

ItsonlyChris PetForums Senior

In all fairness, I would work down the mines if it meant that I could pay to get myself driving :laugh:

I want to go and see about a job tomorrow, or maybe some work experience or something. Or maybe Monday.

I have to admit that there aren't many jobs going around me. Most of the shops are small shops run by one or two people. There's always the charity shops that take full advantage of free workers from what I hear too.

It's like... from my viewpoint, too many shops mostly want free workers or volunteers rather than paying for workers and a lot of the people my age that work here are drop outs from college or they didn't go to university.

But yeah, all these people on benefits must be bored out of their minds not having anything to do. I would love a job just as a change of pace if I'm honest.

13. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

I agree - if there is work enough for everyone to work for their benefits, that means that there are jobs, and at least a minimum wage should be paid. How the hell do they expect people to live? Fewer and fewer full-time unskilled jobs, organisations like the police and army shedding jobs right, left and centre, but expecting volunteers to pick up the slack, working until you're 70 to get your pension - easy enough if you've got a nice cushy job on the back bench - not so much fun if you're on a roof in all sorts of weather!

14. Robnsacha

Robnsacha Guest

What i said to the job centre when they asked me if i had been looking for work. No not really i said im covered in paint and dust etc from 8am to 5pm so how can i look for work? The job centre closes at 4.30 so i couldnt look in there. Most other shops etc have similar hours so i couldnt go to them. Look online? Well the libaray where i do my job search closes at 3.30. And they threatened to stop my money because of it.

15. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

a friend of mine is looking for a job , as been for a year , shes also helped in charity shops and been treated like crap for it , she recently went to college on a free course on i think customer service to help her along the way , the job centre told her while shes doing that 8 week course baring in mind to better herself shes losing that time looking for a job which should be doing ... something wrong there if you ask me , also a friend of hers who is on another course told her that she will lose her job seekers as she was going to college and not looking for work

the system is wrong if you ask me

my mate has had 6 interviews in the last 2 weeks and they are still moaning at her

16. tillysdream

tillysdream Banned

Another thing people forget is when someone who lives on their own only gets £71 per week (over the age of 25) and even less £56 per week (for someone under 25), there is very little money left to be able to afford the train fare or bus fare if a job interview comes up.

Hence it is a vicious cycle, of joblessness, lack of money can prevent people going to lots of interviews. The Jobcentre does not refund travel expenses to interviews like it did decades ago.

When I worked in the Jobcentre Cust Service/signing people, a lovely lady used to come in and see me every fortnight. She had fantastic work experience, smartly turned out and polite. But when she sent her CV away, she never got any replies back. One signing day, I managed to arrange a job interview for her but she broke down into tears telling me she hadn't eaten in two days and did not have the bus fare £5.50 to get there, even though she wanted the chance of the job.

Well, I told her to wait there a minute, went upstairs and took the money from my purse and gave her the money to get to her interview (and my packed lunch to eat). And yes, she got the job!!!! And as far as I know she still works there.

After a month (her first wage) she came back into Jobcentre with bunch of flowers and the £5.50.

My point? People struggling on JSA barely have enough to pay their gas/electricity and food, let alone money to pay for bus/train to interviews.

I think we should help with travel expenses, before we beat the poor people with a stick, and make an already miserable existence even worse by making them work for "free". ;)

#16 tillysdream, Sep 27, 2013
    ForestWomble and Summersky like this.
  17. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

this is one of the problems my mate as , if shes offered less than 16 hours it does not cover her bills , bus fares which are not cheap around here

18. tillysdream

tillysdream Banned

And this is where the current system falls down.

Lots of people put on these work placements do not have the time to "look for work" while they are being used as slaves. :(

And end up being sanctioned for not having a complete work search (breach of their JSA job search contract)...

19. tillysdream

tillysdream Banned

Yip, a single person living on their own(no children) needs full time work, not just 16 hours. And even though MOST Jobseekers are desperate for work, they may not have money in their pocket, if they are lucky enough to get called for an interview. :(

20. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

If they can find you a job when you are on benefits, why cant they GIVE you the job anyway,and pay a living wage
    Doesn't affect me, but I don't think it is fair the way the jobless are treated these days,[most of them]
    I live in a seaside resort, and even in summer there are not many jobs, and often people come here to work in arcades etc, so locals miss out but winter is much worse, and most are only part time anyway,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice