Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Job Snobbery................... :(

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ClaireLouise, Apr 4, 2011.

1. ClaireLouise

Nipped in Macdonalds for a Diet coke when at work last week.

I was stood behind two well dressed middle ages ladies who did nothing but belittle the employees while in the queue and they did it quite loudly too. They assumed the staff were stupid and that they were better to them and were openly rude when being served.

I was thinking about it today and im still mad about it to be honest.

Job Snobbery is discusting. People go out to work and work really hard and dont deserved to be looked down on regardless of what they do.
    Anyone else experienced this?

2. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

It always happens....at least they are out paying their taxes and not stood with their bloody hand out at the job center!

3. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

Yes, I think every day " at least I've got a job" .... I see people look at me and think why is she serving behind the counter, she can't even speak Welsh (lol) ... at least I got a job, that's what I think ... .may not be the job I want, or would like to do, but it sort of pays the bills.

You'd be amazed at the number of Shop Assistants who have good quality degree qualifications and private education behind them !

It does annoy me when people look down at me ... little do they know ... !

C X

4. rona

rona Guest

Oh I've been on the receiving end of this several times. It must be hard to cope with when you are just in a job to earn money, but I was lucky and had the jobs of my dreams, so could feel sorry for those that are so up themselves that they couldn't see how pathetic they really are

5. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I get this all the time working behind tills. I would add more to it but I get really wound up about it :D

6. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Yep, I volunteered in the local community, did quite a bit of work for them, they spoke to me as if I was thick, also stupid as I didnt have a 'proper' job !! this was by the manager there and also the finance officer - turns out when I gave a committee person my CV it was found out that I was much more qualified than the pair of them put together :D

7. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

Well these two women, whom seem to think they are a cut above the McDonalds employees whom were serving them.....if these women were as high and mighty as they think they are then wtf were they doing in McDonalds for their high flying lunch? pmsl....

8. ClaireLouise

Its totally out of order. It made me so mad. It happened last week and I was cleaning the car today still thinking about it!!!

9. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Never come across this myself and never heard anyone else do it :confused:

10. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Oh yes......Its amazing how many people treat ambulance crews as taxi drivers....some really aren't interested in us trying to help them, and offer our advice. Some believe that we are not capable/competant of making a decision about whether or not they need to go to hospital/GP/chemist.

The one that gets to me the most is when a GP calls 999 to get a patient to A+E, then plonks them in the waiting room, clutching a letter for the 'Dr in Charge' or 'Surgeon on Call'.....without even the courtesy of giving us a handover - I make a point of asking to see the GP every time to find out about the patient.

11. ClaireLouise

Well believe me it happens. Ive heard it many times over.
    Ive also heard comments along the lines off....* Someone drops something on the floor* "Dont pick that up, its there job, they are paid to do it!" In Macdonalds again. I feel sorry for staff in places like that the get very little respect for what is probably quite a hard job!

12. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Do people like that not realise if it wasn't for the people working in the place then they wouldn't be getting served in the first place :rolleyes:

I used to volunteer with teens with learning disabilities and it anoyed me the way people would automaticaly talk totaly different to them than they would me. They would talk really loud and slowly but whenever I spoke to them I just spoke how I would to anyone and they much preffered being treated normal than someone talking to them asif they were thick! One of them always used to make a face at me when people started the slow but loud talk so that I would get them to shut up :p

13. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Teachers used to tell us in primary to leave any mess because that's the cleaners job :eek:

14. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

My sister asked me out to lunch one day at our local whetherspoons and she ended up inviting her friend that I hate along aswell. Being a lunch time it was really busy so after our meal we were waiting on the pudding arriving, just sitting and chatting away when the friend decided to snap her fingers at the waitress going past and told her to remove the plates! I was mortified, the girl was red faced while she was cleaning up and me and my sister were apologising while the friend was going 'don't apologise, it's her job!' This coming from a girl who was unemployed for 2 years at the time. :mad:

15. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Never said it didn't :)

I don't go into Mc Donalds very often ... hate their coffee :rolleyes:

On rare occasions staff have been okay though.

16. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

My first ever job was in Primark, believe me I know!

17. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

I thought this thread was about ar**hole customers...not staff.

18. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

My son took a job in McDonalds last year after he finished school, and before he started college. I have to say even the management treated him like dirt, his shifts were messed around with and his pay was ALWAYS delayed for one reason or another.......

I detest when I hear people say to their kids "stick in at school or you'll end up working at McDonalds flipping burgers for a living, and you don't want THAT do you??"

Why not? It's a job isn't it? Are they seriously telling me they'd not object to their child turning down the job if it was the ONLY position available in a town at any given time?? At the time it put some much needed money in my son's pocket so he could pay for driving lessons and save towards insuring his car when he passed his test. Considering his EMA was always missing from his bank account every week aswell and he always had a fight to get it paid....

Don't get me started......:mad:

19. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

It's about both.

20. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I don't do job snobbery - after all, if the folks weren't there to help you you would be serving yourself.

I do, however, reserve the right to be really hacked off if I am served by someone who lacks the ability to smile or can't be ar*ed to stop talking to their chum whilst serving me. THAT is guaranteed to wind me up big time. When I worked in both retail & the pub trade I chattered & smiled to the customers all the time as it helped to make the day go quicker. I really don't understand these mardy-ass types who look miserable all the time. It may not be the best job in the world but a/ they are being paid to provide a service so should do it to the best of their ability and b/ be grateful they have got a job.

There - that's my wee rant out of the way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice