Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Job opportunities with dogs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, May 7, 2010.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hiya

I'm trying to find a part-time job with dogs, around 1-2 days a week, preferably paid, in either kennels, groomers or any other dog related jobs. Do you have any suggestions on what I could do? I've searched job sites to no avail. Should I ring up all the local kennels and groomers to see if they have a part-time position? Or in this economic climate, should I only aim for volunteer work?

2. Stephny691

Stephny691 PetForums Senior

I'm struggling to find volunteer work! But I think the key is persistance (how helpful is that? lol) but getting your name on lists for jobs. Maybe volunteering could be the road into paid work, where I am the competition for jobs with animals is really high. My vets literally just picks the least qualified (so cheapst labour) and just swaps them for someone else. 1 job had over 100 applications so...
    Just keep trying love.

x

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I would ring about and see what's going :)

If you have no experience you should volunteer (not paid but great for the experience) which would give you more chances in getting a paid job.

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

OMG my brain clearly isnt working today. I thought you meant jobs you and your dog could do together like finding small children stuck down wells or foiling bank robberies like Lassie!!BOL:eek::rolleyes:

$hAzZa likes this.
  5. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i would agree that volunteering is the best thing to do first. i think you are unlikely to get any paid work without a bit of experience first. but it doesnt hurt to ring around the local kennels etc. you might get lucky!

6. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Your on to something there, not a bad idea :lol:

Volunteering to me is the best thing as like what people have already said, experience goes a long way:)

The employer might see how much a dedicated and genuine person you are and offer you paid work:thumbup:

7. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I'm also trying to find work with dogs, or any animals really! Am applying to do Vet Nursing for Sept 2011 entry, and need a minimum of 8 weeks WE at a vets, but trying to get a paid job...

Is hard :( I volunteer walking dogs, but that's about it :(

8. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

thanks. I'm going to ring round the boarding kennels and see if they have any voluntary work and apply with rescue centres for walking dogs and kennel cleaning. should hopefully get something then. :) I'm still going to be at college next year, but want to do something with my spare time as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice