Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Job Interview = Panic!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mr.stitches, Jul 27, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Hi All

After writing around to the vets I just received a text asking if I am free for interview this week. Im now having a bit of a flap, as have been working in childcare so long its all new to me!

The role is for Support Staff, so the job includes some reception work, cleaning, helping in surgery and with the animals.

Im excitied, but also nervous...at least I got to interview which is pretty great considering how many people apply for these things!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oooo...good luck.

Make sure you tell them how much you like working with people, and like cleaning ;)

3. mr.stitches

Hehehe, well im used to working with people from all the nursery work with kids! I do like cleaning too.....prefer to clean for animals than humans any day too! Kids make a whole load of mess at lunchtime!

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You'd be surprised how many people go in and say they prefer working with animals rather than people.
    They tend not to get the job.

5. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

well done and good luck!

6. mr.stitches

thank you people

i guess many people think they can play with the cute animals and get paid for it! how wrong could you be!

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You very rarely get to do any cuddling and fussing. Vet's tend to think you are wasting your time, and they dont pay you for that :rolleyes:

8. rona

rona Guest

Interview will be a breeze :)
    I know they will like you, just depends on what they are looking for experience wise :)

9. mr.stitches

Thank you, once again saying the right thing!

Yes, lack of experience is a problem even though children are worse than animals in my opinion! They must think I have a bit of common sense, otherwise I dont think I would have got to interview!

10. rona

rona Guest

It's your age you know :001_tt2::001_tt2:

11. mr.stitches

cheeky......

;)

12. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

good luck with your interview hope it works out for you and you get the job fingers crossed let us know xx

13. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

Good luck! I work as a recruitment consultant now but i did a year as a vets receptionist when i first had my son.

it was a great job, hard work and the only animal fussing you really got to give was after your shift or before!

I spent a lot of time with a mop or dealing with clients who were querying bills.

The best line to take is your people skills, the ability to deal sensitively with situations and keen to muck in with the team. It really is more about people than pets. Although i loved it, you got to talk to people about their pets and i loved popping in early to watch an operation or hand feed a poorly pup.

Good Luck, every thing crossed for you :thumbup1:

14. mr.stitches

thank you dipdog, i shall try to take it all in my stride! its all a learning curve :)

peppapug - thank you for the insight! it sounds as if you enjoyed the job..i can see how most of the work is with the pets owners, I guess I like the idea of working as a team to care for the animals....i can see id be popping in like you did!

15. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

good luck, hope it goes well. It's all about transferable skills. Think about examples when you have demonstrated the kind of skills they may be looking for eg organisation, customer focus, empathy, cool under pressure etc so you can provide practical examples when you have demonstrated the relevant charecteristics.
    Fingers crossed for you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice