Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Job Hunting and Cover Letter Writing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Jun 24, 2009.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Well, I'm looking for a job because I'm literally skint! And everything I apply for no on ever gets back to me! I looked on the net how to write a good cv and I think I have done that, but it puzzles me how to write a cover letter and what the point of one is! Could anyone help me?

So far, I'm applying to Argos, Internationciale, New Look, DP's, Tesco and mostly retail places in my area. I am looking at bar work but it all says I need experience.... how can I get experience if they won't take me on???

2. kustom

kustom Guest

hi have some templates of C.V and covering letters you can use. you just need to change the details to yours if that will help

3. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

A covering letter is just a polite introduction and a place to inform whoever of the position your interested in.

You'll find that a lot of companies will not respond unless they are inviting you to an interview, i find this quite rude :mad: and think if you've taken the time to apply the least they could do is acknowledge that, even if it's a 'thanks but no thanks'.

Good luck with your job hunting :D

4. Pamela

Pamela Guest

I used to have to employ people and do interviews and i always made the decision to read the CV or not from the cover letter. To me it is as important as the CV. it is your first introduction to the employer and the way it is written and its content says a lot about you.

5. CharleyRogan

Thanks Kustom, could you send me them? Should i upload my CV here so you can all look and tell me what needs improving?

6. kustom

kustom Guest

hi yes i can now its took me 10 mins to find them but you will have to send me your email addy to send them to if thats ok

PS there is no template for the covering letter just templates for you CV

#6 kustom, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2009
  7. CharleyRogan

Sent you PM

8. kustom

kustom Guest

ok all sent not sure how good these are had them a while now and never used any
    there some some i found on the net that soemone posted to help people
    let me know what you think of them

9. kustom

kustom Guest

hi just had this reply

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

youremail@hotmail.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 552 552 Session size exceeds fixed maximum session size (state 18).

10. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Charley,

Clear some of your Hotmail folders so you can receive email again ;-).

Start with the spam folder then the sent items and then the deleted.

11. kustom

kustom Guest

hi just added you to my msn if you use it will send them on that

12. CharleyRogan

I haven't got MSN!!

13. kustom

kustom Guest

oh i cant send them then sorry as i have tried but they come back with that error message

14. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

Hi, i know how you feel, apparently i have a spot on CV but my cover letters suck!! I hate them, i would rather then read my cv and ask me to go in so they can see what im like.

15. jlushh

jlushh PetForums Member

I'm going through exactly the same thing. I can't count how many CV's I've sent out to bars, clubs, restauraunts, supermarkets, stores blaaah!!
    The jobcentre advisor looks at me like I'm not trying hard enough.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about experience in barjobs, how the hell are you meant to gain experience if they won't give you a job! :cursing:

And for the CV thing connexions helped me write mine, as I'm not good on "bigging myself up", I think the jobcentre does the same thing aswel. :)

I'm bored to tears sat at home all day.. :(

16. fwj01

fwj01 PetForums Junior

Job hunting? GRRRR tbh. I've been loking for a job for over 4 months!! I can't believe that some companies don't even come back to you to say you havent been succesful in having an interview... when you wait to hear from them. So unprofessional :mad:

Good luck tho :)

17. mollyismyworld

The covering letter is very important....it should always be done in your own handwriting too.

It shows literacy, articulation and it gives you a chance to introduce yourself and add to any points your CV has suggested as to why you would be good for the job.

It also gives you the opportunity to 'sway' your history towards each particular vacancy...eg, if it's for retail work, highlight your points as to why u are suitable for that job....if it's bar work, focus on your skills there.

You don't always need experience to warm yourself to a prospective employer...a good covering letter is what will catch them initially.

I am constantly tweaking CV's and writing covering letters for friends as I enjoy the English language and the power of a good letter...try and find somebody to read what you write and give you constructive advice. :)

18. CharleyRogan

Would you like to write me a cover letter? :D

19. mollyismyworld

Was that at me Charley?

I would help you yes, of course.

Let me know by PM if you need some help. xx :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice